The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

M4A3 76W HVSS

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my vacation and I was able to get some bench time over the weekend.

I was attempting to remove the molded in handle detail from the kit radio but messed it up.  So, I needed to scratch build a new radio, SCR-508.  Luckily, I had purchased an Eduard Photo etch set for an M16 so I can get the correct latched for most of the compartment doors.  In the set was photo etch for the radio.  I did not want all of it, just the radio face plates for the switches.  I was able to cut them out and added switches.  More switches and dials to go.  The protective covers around the switches were included also and I super glued photo etch on the bottom to get it raised.  In trying to clean up the super glue with AK Eraser the colored portion of the photo etch came off.  This is what I wanted anyways to make is easier for painting to match the rest.   

I also built the tray the radio sits in as a separate piece so it can be painted aluminum easier.  I have more details to be added to the tray.

It is a start and hopefully I can finish it up this week.

Tim

SCR-508 radio.jpg

Kit radio vs scratch built.jpg

radio face details.jpg

Radio face details with covers.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

September was busy with work and did not get any bench time.  Finally got back to the bench this month.  Worked on the engine this week.

Primed the engine with Mr. Surfacer 1500 black.  First time airbrushing Mr. Surfacer.  It sprayed nicely.  I usually use AK Primer and Microfiller.  Then painted the exhaust tubes metal and the top of the exhaust grey as I believe this would be the portion that has the greatest amount of heat (Also found a picture with this section grey and it looked good).  I then sprayed VMS Satin Varnish.  This is the first time using it.  It worked great just not used to putting down a wet coat when airbrushing.  

Next, sprayed a couple coats of hairspray and then painted the entire engine Tamiya Olive Green.  Once it was dry to the touch I did chipping on the grey portion of the exhaust.  This was in anticipating of showing paint wearing due to the heat.  Next I gave another coat of varnish on the exhaust area.  Next I added a combination of AK Rust Streaks, Dark Rust Deposits and Medium Rust Deposits.  While the enamel was wet I added Medium rust pigment getting to what I liked. 

Then I did a pin wash with oil paint and then dry brushing with Wilder Olive Green which is still lighter than the Tamiya Olive green.

Still more weathering to do.  A little more spotted rust on top along with stains, dust. 

Until next time. 

Tim

Engine primed with Mr Surfacer .jpg

Engine with VMS varnish satin.jpg

Engine painted with Tamiya Olive green.jpg

Engine dry burshed.jpg

engine rear dry burshed.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It has been a little bit but got some work done on the interphone and blower area between the driver and assistant driver positions with wiring and a few additional details.  Still have to add the radio boxes but will do that after they are painted.  Included a picture from the Technical manual as well as a photo of the interior of a Sherman showing the wiring to the connections to the headlights near the control panel.

Starting painting the seats but I am still weathering them.  I will have that for next time.

Tim

interphone wiring.jpg

interphone asst driver side.jpg

driver and asst driver blower and communications.jpg

interphone .png

asst driver side interphone.jpg

M4 drivers seat.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

More wiring work on the interior.  Glued the firewall in place and glued the wiring to the sponson.  Added wiring that would be under the battery box and connect to the dashboard.  Tachometer and speedometer cabling added.  Finally, built and put the submachine gun holder on the side of the spare periscope holder.  Transmission cabling added to the floor of the tank 

thank is it for now.

Tim

Firewall glued.jpg

tachometer.jpg

driver area wiring.jpg

Interior w.dashboard.jpg

submiachine gun holder.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

thanks guys  I plan on displaying with the turret removed for any competition but can always put it on when not showing it  

I finally have decided on a plan of how to glue and connect the the wiring from most of the subassemblies. Also thought about cutting the fighting compartment flooring so there are three parts. The one in the middle would be glued to the from and the outer sides over the ammo storage would be able to be removed. Maybe held secure with magnets. Have not figures that out yet. But I feel it is coming along quicker now. 

I did paint the seats and did some weather on them.  Just need to finish the backs of the seats. 

Tim

8E360C8F-798E-49CC-BC46-C709F24FCA6B.jpeg

46920C79-79F5-4B3E-B395-5695F8A3C431.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good progress this week.  Added plumbing and cabling for the fire suppression system.  The extinguishers themselves are not glued in yet and will be painted before being glued.  Added the plumbing for the fuel priming.  That is the brass wiring that connects to the firewall.  Left connections at the front of the drivers area to connect from the priming pump when the transmission housing is added.  Did temporary wiring to the dashboard and did the back of the dashboard with connection points.  Cabling to the collector ring which is secured to the storage area attached to the ammo storage. Still "flexible cabling" to be added connecting the collector ring.   Finally, some wiring for the Auxiliary Generator. 

I feel I am moving faster on this section.  The goal is to be painting the interior subassemblies by January.

Tim

Interior fire suppression.jpg

dashboard wiring.jpg

cable for collector ring.jpg

wiring auxiliary generator .jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Added small details this week.  On the firewall added air cleaner door chains, shutter controls (upper left corner and right corner).  Once the engine compartment is done and painted, I can add "cabling" to the doors which I will display open.  Hinge detail and latches to the ammo storage behind the asst. driver position and finally added the extra headlight storage on top of the battery box and the 30 cal ammo storage clasps.  The ammo portion is removal at this point for easy painting.  The photo etch over the 30 cal ammo boxes is security by only a little bit of super glue.  I have knocked them off numerous times.

A few more small details and I should be able to start to paint this area.

that is it for now.

Tim

small details on firewall.jpg

ammo storage behind asst driver.jpg

30m cal ammo storage and headlight storage.jpg

almost done with details.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1