The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

M4A3 76W HVSS

Did a little more work this weekend.  Not as much as I would have liked.  Finished building the Jerry Can storage.  One of the pictures shows the kit storage which is the same height as the 1/35 jerry can.  I wanted to show one spot open.  Included nuts that would have held the unit in place.  Second picture is the the jerry cans temporarily in place.  

Also glued the generator cover to the transmission and added bolts.

Shortened the depth of the seats.  They are ready for painting.

Lastly, added the oil cooler and then the new handles to the air cleaner service opening doors and added the transfer switch to the terminal box.  The switch is from Anyz and the handles are from Tiger Model Designs.

Hopefully better progress this week.

Tim

jerry can storage.jpg

Jerry Can Storage 1.jpg

generator cover.jpg

updated seats.jpg

firewall update.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks guys. Added some brackets/clamps (not sure it that is what they are called) to the air filters last night. You can see them in the Technical Manual photo. I believe the hold the filter in place. Working on the latches to the battery storages box. 
Tim

1E6CA171-1F2B-43F1-AD84-656B775AFB67.png

DE48487B-C4F8-4ABD-962D-94614C372FAD.jpeg

• Like 6

Worked on the main ammo storage.  First, I drilled out all of the openings for the shells.  The kit only has two rows of openings and the rest are the tops of shells glued to the top of the opening.  

Next, I removed a portion of the sides creating a zig zag shape.  Once that was removed I added an L-shaped bar on the top and and braces from each of the "ammo storage boxes".  The actual storage units you could see through between the bar and the boxes.  In the color photo of the actual storage, you can see the openings on the right.  I will also make the collector ring which you can see between the floor plating and the ammo storage frame (bottom right of the picture).  That is still to come.

Next, I put the brass shells (ARV Club) in place.  They are looking the part.  However, if I enter this into one of the local IPMS competitions, to leave them brass is not allowed, it needs to be painted.  Not sure what I will do with them.

Until later.

Tim

1.35 ammo storage.jpg

main ammo storage 4.jpg

main ammo storage 5.jpg

ammo storage.jpg

M4A4 ammo storage.jpg

main ammo storage 6.jpg

main ammo storage 3.jpg

main ammo storage 2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Axeman said:

Worked on the main ammo storage.  First, I drilled out all of the openings for the shells.  The kit only has two rows of openings and the rest are the tops of shells glued to the top of the opening.  

Next, I removed a portion of the sides creating a zig zag shape.  Once that was removed I added an L-shaped bar on the top and and braces from each of the "ammo storage boxes".  The actual storage units you could see through between the bar and the boxes.  In the color photo of the actual storage, you can see the openings on the right.  I will also make the collector ring which you can see between the floor plating and the ammo storage frame (bottom right of the picture).  That is still to come.

Next, I put the brass shells (ARV Club) in place.  They are looking the part.  However, if I enter this into one of the local IPMS competitions, to leave them brass is not allowed, it needs to be painted.  Not sure what I will do with them.

Until later.

Tim

1.35 ammo storage.jpg

main ammo storage 4.jpg

main ammo storage 5.jpg

ammo storage.jpg

M4A4 ammo storage.jpg

main ammo storage 6.jpg

main ammo storage 3.jpg

main ammo storage 2.jpg

Awesome progress Tim! Is really stunning what you are creating! 

• Like 4

Well, I did not get as much done as I had hoped.  Finished the collector ring box.  In the photo of an actual collector ring the top portion, in the kit, is attached to the turret "basket" floor.  I plan on leaving it attached in some form as I plan on simulating electrical lines to it.  I might remove it, insert the U shaped attachment device and re-glue it back.  To determine how far down the collector ring needs to sit I need to start to do work on the turret "basket" floor.  Pictured is progress so far.  

Until next week.

Tim

collector ring SB.jpg

Turret Power Collector.jpg

Collector ring connection to turret floor.jpg

turrent floor.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I realized that to find out where I need to position the collector ring box I need to find out how far down the turret "basket" drops down.  So I started to work on the turret basket and it components.

First I started on the latches on some of the storage boxes on the floor of the basket and the storage on either side of the radio box.  The photo etch latches, are not exactly correct, but are good enough.  Using a 3D printer for them would be best but I do not have one of those.  So, this will have to do.  Looking at the one box with a photo etch latch and the kit molded in latch. 

Next I worked on some adding the photo etch on the inside of the turret ring.  When cutting off the photo etch, the photo etch formed the shape needed to attach inside the ring.  You can see the one being cut of the fret and the ones inside the turret ring.  I have never seen that before.  Then some work on the traversing items attached to the turret ring and also the traversing mechanism that is attached to the frame of the turret "basket".    

The additional detail makes a difference and there is still more to add.  Included a photo of the actual traversing mechanism.

The storage boxes on either side of the radio, have opening on the side and back.  I know they will not be seen but I just needed to close them up.  Did not feel right even though me and you guys will be the only ones that know.

The molded in wiring that leads behind the radio box, I am trying to determine if I want to keep it or remove it and add my own.  The wire on the wall of the turret is much better and I will probably keep that but add more.

While building I keep thinking of when to paint.  How much do I put together and then paint or paint and then glue it.  The struggle continues.  So far no paint but get closer each day.

That is it for now.

Tim

latches.jpg

turret ring photo etch.jpg

turret rig.jpg

radio box shelf.jpg

traversing mechanism.jpg

R8235f0c2434d4877da99b6a23d34d36b.jpg

turret interior.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/1/2021 at 5:20 AM, Axeman said:

Did a little more work this weekend.  Not as much as I would have liked.  Finished building the Jerry Can storage.  One of the pictures shows the kit storage which is the same height as the 1/35 jerry can.  I wanted to show one spot open.  Included nuts that would have held the unit in place.  Second picture is the the jerry cans temporarily in place.  

Also glued the generator cover to the transmission and added bolts.

Shortened the depth of the seats.  They are ready for painting.

Lastly, added the oil cooler and then the new handles to the air cleaner service opening doors and added the transfer switch to the terminal box.  The switch is from Anyz and the handles are from Tiger Model Designs.

Hopefully better progress this week.

Tim

jerry can storage.jpg

Jerry Can Storage 1.jpg

generator cover.jpg

updated seats.jpg

firewall update.jpg

That cabeling is awesome! 

• Like 4