The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

M4A3 76W HVSS

More work on the turret interior this week.  Put the turret together.  Adding some bolts to the seat base.  Wiring to the radio terminal box with additional wiring to come.  

The bottom of the turret just did not look good as it can be removed to see the interior, and the bottom of the turret floor will be visible.  Removed the molded in portion of the collector ring, added a scratch built ring, put a new floor for the bottom of the 6 round ammo storage, filled in the open portion below the gun firing box and added wiring to the new collector ring.

The actual photo of the collector ring box and attached wiring shows how the wiring is connected.  Even though this is the interior of an M26 this type of collector ring was also used in the M4A3.  

That is it for now.

Tim

6 round ammo.jpg

turret bottom.jpg

turret bottom wiring.jpg

turret inplace.jpg

m26int.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Axeman said:

More work on the turret interior this week.  Put the turret together.  Adding some bolts to the seat base.  Wiring to the radio terminal box with additional wiring to come.  

The bottom of the turret just did not look good as it can be removed to see the interior, and the bottom of the turret floor will be visible.  Removed the molded in portion of the collector ring, added a scratch built ring, put a new floor for the bottom of the 6 round ammo storage, filled in the open portion below the gun firing box and added wiring to the new collector ring.

The actual photo of the collector ring box and attached wiring shows how the wiring is connected.  Even though this is the interior of an M26 this type of collector ring was also used in the M4A3.  

That is it for now.

Tim

6 round ammo.jpg

turret bottom.jpg

turret bottom wiring.jpg

turret inplace.jpg

m26int.jpg

Great work with stunning results!

Looks absolutely awesome!

• Like 4

A few more things added to the turret interior.  Finished the wiring in the back. Added the commanders seat and the loader seat. Add the pin and chain for the securing of the seat. Added attachment points for more cabling to the traverse mechanism and finally the latches on the ready ammo storage. There is also one on the other side. 
The one thing I am trying to figure out is the cabling from the manual firing pedal (pedal is located on the left corner of the turret floor and has a hole drilled on top) where in the bottom of the gun does it go to. I cannot find a good picture of it.  I will keep searching. 

Tim

C03E5AB1-6769-4B78-823B-81F1F02BA9FE.jpeg

E5948CC8-DCD4-4B37-8FEC-C4016CF7A1AB.jpeg

C4E0EB45-4916-43AD-9AB7-F69D69111828.jpeg

ACD8C4C8-A88F-4B7F-B0C5-777757B5BF78.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the encouragement.   Not much work today and tomorrow afternoon.  Taking my son out to dinner for his 21st birthday. 
I might get a little more done Sunday night. Fingers crossed. 

Tim

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Axeman said:

A few more things added to the turret interior.  Finished the wiring in the back. Added the commanders seat and the loader seat. Add the pin and chain for the securing of the seat. Added attachment points for more cabling to the traverse mechanism and finally the latches on the ready ammo storage. There is also one on the other side. 
The one thing I am trying to figure out is the cabling from the manual firing pedal (pedal is located on the left corner of the turret floor and has a hole drilled on top) where in the bottom of the gun does it go to. I cannot find a good picture of it.  I will keep searching. 

Tim

C03E5AB1-6769-4B78-823B-81F1F02BA9FE.jpeg

E5948CC8-DCD4-4B37-8FEC-C4016CF7A1AB.jpeg

C4E0EB45-4916-43AD-9AB7-F69D69111828.jpeg

ACD8C4C8-A88F-4B7F-B0C5-777757B5BF78.jpeg

Tim you are the uncrowned king of superdetailing. Awesome work! I love it (although I‘m no tank-builder).

• Like 4

I have one book, History of the American Medium Tank, more importantly the M4A3 Medium Tank Technical Manual TM 9-759 along with about a ream worth of print outs from the internet. The Technical manual has the most from wiring to fuel line   Restoration of tanks are good references. 

Tim

C82E5729-0640-44E9-8AAE-FCB8A646E44B.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

More work this week.  

Finished the hydraulic lines around the traverse mechanism.  

I was not sure where the cable from the manual firing pedal went to, so I decided to put the gun mount together and maybe I could find where it leads to (I think I found it).  Pictures are of the gun mount assembled as well as the underside and with parts disassembled for easy painting.  

Added a plate at the bottom of the counter weights to the recoil guards as the actual photos show this. It is a good thing as the bottom of the counter weights was not pretty.  

Added detail to the telescope.  

That is it for this week.  

Tim

completed hydraulic lines .jpg

gun assembled.jpg

Gun breach underside.jpg

gun components.jpg

recoil guard with bolts.jpg

recoil guard - Copy.jpg

actual gun assembly.jpg

telescope.jpg

R703b90040a41f59cee37d1b29066df07.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Axeman said:

More work this week.  

Finished the hydraulic lines around the traverse mechanism.  

I was not sure where the cable from the manual firing pedal went to, so I decided to put the gun mount together and maybe I could find where it leads to (I think I found it).  Pictures are of the gun mount assembled as well as the underside and with parts disassembled for easy painting.  

Added a plate at the bottom of the counter weights to the recoil guards as the actual photos show this. It is a good thing as the bottom of the counter weights was not pretty.  

Added detail to the telescope.  

That is it for this week.  

Tim

completed hydraulic lines .jpg

gun assembled.jpg

Gun breach underside.jpg

gun components.jpg

recoil guard with bolts.jpg

recoil guard - Copy.jpg

actual gun assembly.jpg

telescope.jpg

R703b90040a41f59cee37d1b29066df07.jpg