The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Two little Brewsters, now a Buddy Build.

On 8/21/2021 at 7:19 PM, Martinnfb said:

So. Ernie is on the roll with his kit and I become distracted by different stuff. However, this is where I stand with Buffalo right now.  The airframe is intact, needs some sanding and scribing, I slapped it together super fast to motivate Ernie's efforts , so the painting of the internals will be fun. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fast progress and a flawless build Martin!

I‘m looking forward to seeing how you will paint all this, especially the engine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

This is actually a sweet little kit.  Not anywhere near as bad as some modeling doomsayers have said it was. If you can build resin you’ll breeze through this like it’s snap together. But like most kits these days, settle on a subject before you start building, and stick to that one. Don’t change. I did, and I had to go back and redo my engine. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Well, my camera isn’t showing what I want it to show, the lighter shades are showing as almost white in the pics, but in person, this looks very convincing.  I’m pretty happy with the general shading I’ve done, did a light mist over everything to tie it all together and will now give it a bit of darker areas around the engine, bearing in mind that this aircraft is still pretty new.  I did try to add definition and slight shading to the fabric control surfaces
My big bugaboo has always been trying to add character to a solid color model.  
Truth be told, I pretty much suck at it, and that may explain that, given everything equal, I much prefer to model in NMF.  
So maybe another light mist followed by a light panel wash  I think I’ll better define some of my rivets as well, although I live in fear of discovering my inner Mad Riveter.

This will have the candy striped tail and the oversized star roundels with meatball centers. 
This has been a really fun build so far and Im thoroughly enjoying it. Resin style challenges without the dust. 

9DE74BBD-C1A8-4F5A-BFD5-10ABDE6C6329.jpeg

30B0DB9B-D370-47C4-A213-088362581C8E.jpeg

8A68492F-06B5-450A-BC14-33BB305596E7.jpeg

• Like 10

Looking good Ernie. Definitely some variation to be seen in there, especially on the control surfaces.

Never had the courage to try a USN Pacific scheme given how faded they get but must try one sometime. The Trumpeter Dauntless seems to be one of their A team jobs and can be picked up reasonably cheaply, so might be a candidate.

• Like 5

Ernie

Nice progress on your Buffalo and I can see some color modulation on the ailerons and some on the fuselage and wing panels as well. I'm not a big weathering guy and don't knock yourself out trying to over do it, as less is more.

Looking mighty good

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

• Administrators

I’m starting to like how this early war scheme with the oversized markings is looking. This scheme was only used for a month or two…  my only regret being I should have cut masks for it  these decals are BIG and it was way more trouble getting them blemish free than it would have been to simply mask and paint them on  

I’m thinking after decals, sprinkle on the salt then mist a grimy grey wash over it, clean, then repeat with a darker wash. 
I don’t think it’ll need anything more than that. 

4C50E09D-AEDE-46CF-88F8-961F979E7311.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Looks great! I'm A big Buffalo fan as many here may know. I like the markings on your

Buffalo. I never noticed how large the wing roundels  were on this scheme..... They're

huge! Anyway, I'll be watching this build to the end. Thanks for posting this build.

I'm still waiting on my fantasy kit..........the 1/18 scale kit by Hobby Boss. A Brewster

of majestic proportions. One can dream can't one?

• Like 3

Ernie - looks great!  Martin, you're looking great as well!

I wish I had more time the last few weeks as I might have joined you guys, though I'm no where near as skilled or as fast a builder as you both.  I really love the squat bulldog type look of this plane.  I have this one in 1/32 with the Brengun flaps add-on:

image.png.04eb20f2cbcda888d53e84086a2ac4a1.png

And then this one in 1/48 with a crap load of CMK extras:

image.png.4947cb5c7c36dc535ed59ba4683426cc.png

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

I have to admit, I neglected this build for quite a while. Last night I recover the box from the , not sure how to call it.The place where all the models go at the end ? Anyway, I started riveting process again, basing it on the pictures of the Finish example and these drawings. ( many thanks to Miloslav),  and  I know, it was mostly spot-welded, but the visual effect is basically the same :).

Pictures will follow , eventually 😛.

244.jpg

245.jpg

246.jpg

247.jpg

248.jpg

249.jpg

250.jpg

251.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I have to admit, I neglected this build for quite a while. Last night I recover the box from the , not sure how to call it.

The place where all the models go at the end ? 

Your dog’s stomach ? :rolleyes:

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

@Clunkmeister and @Martinnfb, sorry to interrupt your log.  I wasn't quite sure where to put this question, and wasn't sure if the buddy build thread was still open to other builds - happy to join if you guys will have me.

I've been working on the Special Hobby 1/48 Brewster Buffalo 339-28 kit, and since I can't seem to build anything OOB, I bought a whole bunch of CMK and other AM for the kit.  One of the AM sets I bought was the Brengun Buffalo controls and flaps set, which seems to be identical to a similar set from Griffon.  The instructions are confusing, to put it kindly:

image.png.1be1d8708fe603d30e2770b6b44f736f.png

image.jpeg.4654362bc848011ea5ac14abb5ba4799.jpeg

What I'm confused about is (1) do parts 4 and 3, with the ribs, go on the bottom of the upper side of the wing like the picture below, or are they the drop portion of the aileron, and (2) what to do with parts 2+5 (and 1+6).  

image0.jpeg.ae1bb2afc9143c4010cabe255de8a825.jpeg

Given the way the hole in parts 4 and 3 line up with the open section of the top of the wing where the wing gun port is (see picture above), it seems to me that these parts fit against the underside of the top of the wing, and would be the fixed portion of the aileron.  This seems to be the approach for the Brengun set for the 1/32 kit:

image.png.169834c9cf323c6f18f7a6b0afe3f4d8.png

Where I'm really confused is where the ribs should go.   In the 1/32 package in the picture immediately above shows the ribs on the bottom portion of the aileron that drops, whereas the 1/48 set seems to include the ribs on the top fixed portion.  The 1/48 kit only gives you enough ribs for the parts 4 and 3 with the open section, so the ribs have to go on those parts.  On the other hand, the picture below is taken from Naval Fighters Number 104, which suggests that the ribs go on the bottom section of the aileron that drops:

442953086_IMG_2959copy.jpeg.88241531bfa8bc2eeb85d414fd61ccff.jpeg

Parts 2+5/1+6.  Once I know where parts 4 and 3 go (fixed portion of aileron or drop portion -- I'm thinking it has to be the top fixed portion), then I need to figure out how parts 2+5 should fit together.  The parts have one side with what looks like small rivets or bumps (side shown in picture below), and the other side is completely flat.

image1.jpeg.5edca39f0785c5cba789571af27d5863.jpeg

I can't tell from the pictures whether I (1) create a triangle with the two pieces by doing the long fold, then having the part with the open spaces finish the triangle, or (2) glue the open spaces part directly onto the other part, then do the long fold which somehow locks the part into the wing, or (3) glue the smooth sides of the two parts together back to back like the picture below.  I don't think (3) is correct because the pictures of bottom of the wings of the real thing suggests that the aileron was completely flat, and not grooved or with rivets/bumps as would be if I took approach 3.

image2.jpeg.db9f88c87aa24895b46eefc425b9ab3b.jpeg

From the instructions, I'm thinking that maybe (1) above is the way to go.  The triangular shape of the two pieces glued together would somewhat resemble the ribs on the dropped portion of the aileron.

Ernie and Martin, and anyone else with thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I've spent hours trying to figure this out, and even emailed Brengun but got no response :(  Thanks in advance, and sorry for mucking up your log!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Well Mike, I just had a quick look as I’m on the road right now, but the flaps always open underneath the wing, with the exception being on a dive bomber where they open both ways to function as dive brakes. 
I’ll study the rest of your questions when I can look closely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 2:16 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

@Clunkmeister and @Martinnfb, sorry to interrupt your log.  I wasn't quite sure where to put this question, and wasn't sure if the buddy build thread was still open to other builds - happy to join if you guys will have me.

I've been working on the Special Hobby 1/48 Brewster Buffalo 339-28 kit, and since I can't seem to build anything OOB, I bought a whole bunch of CMK and other AM for the kit.  One of the AM sets I bought was the Brengun Buffalo controls and flaps set, which seems to be identical to a similar set from Griffon.  The instructions are confusing, to put it kindly:

image.png.1be1d8708fe603d30e2770b6b44f736f.png

image.jpeg.4654362bc848011ea5ac14abb5ba4799.jpeg

What I'm confused about is (1) do parts 4 and 3, with the ribs, go on the bottom of the upper side of the wing like the picture below, or are they the drop portion of the aileron, and (2) what to do with parts 2+5 (and 1+6).  

image0.jpeg.ae1bb2afc9143c4010cabe255de8a825.jpeg

Given the way the hole in parts 4 and 3 line up with the open section of the top of the wing where the wing gun port is (see picture above), it seems to me that these parts fit against the underside of the top of the wing, and would be the fixed portion of the aileron.  This seems to be the approach for the Brengun set for the 1/32 kit:

image.png.169834c9cf323c6f18f7a6b0afe3f4d8.png

Where I'm really confused is where the ribs should go.   In the 1/32 package in the picture immediately above shows the ribs on the bottom portion of the aileron that drops, whereas the 1/48 set seems to include the ribs on the top fixed portion.  The 1/48 kit only gives you enough ribs for the parts 4 and 3 with the open section, so the ribs have to go on those parts.  On the other hand, the picture below is taken from Naval Fighters Number 104, which suggests that the ribs go on the bottom section of the aileron that drops:

442953086_IMG_2959copy.jpeg.88241531bfa8bc2eeb85d414fd61ccff.jpeg

Parts 2+5/1+6.  Once I know where parts 4 and 3 go (fixed portion of aileron or drop portion -- I'm thinking it has to be the top fixed portion), then I need to figure out how parts 2+5 should fit together.  The parts have one side with what looks like small rivets or bumps (side shown in picture below), and the other side is completely flat.

image1.jpeg.5edca39f0785c5cba789571af27d5863.jpeg

I can't tell from the pictures whether I (1) create a triangle with the two pieces by doing the long fold, then having the part with the open spaces finish the triangle, or (2) glue the open spaces part directly onto the other part, then do the long fold which somehow locks the part into the wing, or (3) glue the smooth sides of the two parts together back to back like the picture below.  I don't think (3) is correct because the pictures of bottom of the wings of the real thing suggests that the aileron was completely flat, and not grooved or with rivets/bumps as would be if I took approach 3.

image2.jpeg.db9f88c87aa24895b46eefc425b9ab3b.jpeg

From the instructions, I'm thinking that maybe (1) above is the way to go.  The triangular shape of the two pieces glued together would somewhat resemble the ribs on the dropped portion of the aileron.

Ernie and Martin, and anyone else with thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I've spent hours trying to figure this out, and even emailed Brengun but got no response :(  Thanks in advance, and sorry for mucking up your log!

MIke

Absolutely as confusing as can be. Why is everything so complicated? Shame on the manufacturer for not making this very clear in the instructions.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hey Ernie and Peter, have you been working on your Buffalos?  I'm slowly coming along with my 1/48 339-23 from Special Hobby.  It's turning into a bit of a Frankenstein with all the CMK and Brengun aftermarket.  Fit on kit has been ok I suppose, needed some shims and filler, but it's mostly together now.  I'm in the process of re-scribing panel lines, and will try to add rivets as well before painting.

IMG_2691.thumb.JPG.f8eccf5e89e7010f2977d2fa951551cb.JPG

IMG_4214.thumb.JPG.e762ddafa61ad6bda975b553b1985c36.JPG

IMG_5117.thumb.JPG.db8f0cadea21d1af98f386c9d6980c2f.JPG

IMG_5115.thumb.JPG.221f5d0e5c30de97b2eeb05c7215fafd.JPG

IMG_5116.thumb.JPG.1b6e456c42cab1c6c4123c334fdd6725.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

MIke

Thank you for posting the latest photographs of your progress. Takes a bit to get the cobwebs out and then I remembered you build. What a project and all that Am is taking the Buffalo to a new level. Of course, I would have pulled my hair out by now but thankfully you worked your way through all those issues. Looking simply fantastic

• Like 3