The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Z-M A-1H Skyraider

DSCN2601-1.jpg

One of my most recent acquisitions. My first impression: I was struck by the size of the box (21x13x6 - that's 533x330x153 for you metric folks). I know the Skyraider wasn't a small plane, but the box easily dwarfs any single engine prop plane I've ever seen.  Upon opening, that box is stuffed with tons of plastic - 14 sprues for the plane and another eight for the weapons.

I'll be building straight OOB. More pics soon.

• Like 10

I've started on this beast. Main cockpit parts put together. I'm using Z-M color callouts with the exception of their "interior green" - they call for RLM 82; I opted for ModelMaster Interior Green. Cockpit is Dark Gull Gray.

20210712-005305-1.jpg

I'm not a big fan of front/rear fuselage sections. Rather than Join the front and rear once assembled, I prefer to join them prior to assembly of the "halves" - this helps to minimize a step between the two. They're not really halves on this plane, Z-M has the main fuselage in left, right, top and bottom. It's new to me.

20210712-004815-1.jpg

• Like 12

Nice start on that tractor, Bill. I'm still thinking about buying one, because I really like the heavy machinery look of the Skyraider.

I think, have some more pics, than the attached one, if you are interested. It was taken on deck of USS-Midway in San Diego some years ago.

Cheers Rob

P1080172.thumb.JPG.0a2a9fcae0d74db39daa2c77229ce043.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Prior to the Covid mess, Waukegan airport used to host an annual air show. The last

Air show they had featured a pair of Skyraiders. They performed mock air attacks that

Included pyrotechnics.  They flew directly over my mother's home which is in nearby Beach Park, so I was able to get a good view of these impressive aircraft. I'm glad to see

You're building a Skyraider. It's one of my favorites ever since Building the Monogram kits

years ago.

• Like 7

I have this kit in the stash with the various goodies.  Looking forward to your build!  I need to get a lot more experience before tackling it.

I'm thinking of building the one with the toilet bomb:

image.png.517ef2c7fb94fe2828d316796fe8ee31.png

If interested, Brengun makes a resin duplicate with the appropriate decals:  BRL32012

image.png.a30a811d1e7824b4b2f561f4c63dd417.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Nice start Bill. I think I took the same approach to the fuselage you have. 

For the folding wings, check the ZM website as there is an addendum to getting the wing join together. I can't recall if I followed it but I did get my wings to stay functional.  

Carl

• Like 6

Not sure about the toilet bomber; I have plenty of time to consider it.

I'm really enjoying this kit so far. Everything fits very well. Got some work done on the wings:

DSCN2609-1.jpg

I'll take care of painting the ammo later.

Got some gloss white sprayed tonight, too.

DSCN2610-1.jpg

Once cured, I'll give it a black wash. More to come...

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Progress has been slowed by a camping trip - but I'm back at the bench for a little before I head to NY for a wedding.

You are too diverted for serious modelling, Bill :rofl:. Honestly, for me it's the same in the moment. Short vacations, visiting friends and construction working around the house, I have to rethink priorities :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I did a test fit of the fuselage to wing spars. The cockpit was very tight going into the locating spots, so I put the cockpit assembly in by itself.

DSCN2618-1.jpg

A little finagling, and I got the fuselage sides in place.

DSCN2619-1.jpg

• Like 9