The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

SH Tempest Mk.II HIgh Tech Kit

• SPECIAL HOBBY TEMPEST Mk.II

1/32 HIGH TECH KIT

•  

Jr0w7S.jpg
  1. RbpwGv.jpg
  3. With the Tamiya F4B basically finished and just waiting for its replacement canopy to arrive, it was time to start my next project. I broke open the box and started to tinker with the kit during my ‘cooling off’ two-day break from the F4 and was amazed at what I discovered. A limited production kit, beautifully molded and the details: OMG – jus Brilliant. Being the Hi Tech version, a yellow box full of resin replacement parts, PE frets, HGH Seatbelts, mask set and I know I must have missed some things. Full color glossy instructions: ala Eduard style and it is necessary to read the instructions as there are a boat load of parts that aren’t used (other versions) and then the resin parts. I was surprised the plastic didn’t have a lot of mold release and cleaned a good deal of the parts with alcohol and the other parts in soapy water.
  • As with most of my builds, I prefer OOB and there is so much ‘extras’ included in the kit, AM isn’t really needed. Not to be caught off guard and shorthanded, I purchased my paint set with the kit: Ammo by Mig RAF WWII Late War Set # 7214.   

Following the instruction sequence, the build starts in the front office. No surprises but some finicky PE work is required with the cartridge starter holders. Kit parts are very well detailed and I even chose some kit parts over the resin replacement parts: rudder pedals and joy stick, very well molded, same level of detailing and easier to work with.

Thanks for checking in

Keep ‘em comin

Peter   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Peter, the recent Special Hobby kits are really a jump in quality. Much better than their earlier efforts. Supposedly they're going to do a Fury, Sea Fury and Typhoon to round out the family lineage. 

I have their Tempest V and it's basically the same kit that you have but a different nose/engine. Mine came with the resin half engine but I've got the Barracuda rain nose I'm going to use the engine in a PCM Tempest. Waste not, want not. :D

Carl

• Like 3

Hi Kai

A number of years ago I built Paul Fisher's Sea Fury and feel in the love with the airplane; simply gorgeous looking . The Tempest Mk. II is part of the Sea Fury's genealogy and a must build for me. I've never built a Special Hobby kit, so there are going to be some firsts for sure. 

I started the Uhu a while back and just couldn't literally handle all the small parts once I was in chemmo and decided to put her away for a future date. Right now, I guessing the Uhu will be back on the bench late this winter as I have a few kits I want to build first.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a Typhoon and Tempest fan I will be watching this one with interest, the Tempest II is outside my chosen WWII era so I cannot justify the expense of the Hi Tech version, but if they ever make a non Hi Tech version I would be all over it.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Peter, glad to see something on the bench, I built the SH Tempest V hi tech. Test fit the cockpit tube assembly against the wing and fuselage when taped together. On mine had to do some grinding before it sat correctly……yours will fit perfectly……….pulling a chair….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SPECIAL HOBBY TEMPEST Mk.II

1/32 HIGH TECH KIT

THE FRONT OFFICE

Following the instruction sequence, the build starts in the front office and no real surprises but EXTRA CARE AND PATIENCE needs to be exercised and actually determining where and how all the parts go was a bit difficult at times. While the instructions are very colorful the actual part placements was tough to figure out as lots of spaghetti like red arrows have to be followed and what sub assembly goes first isn’t always clear and to even at times the part is shown being glued to one part and on another page, being glued to a different part.  Lots of test fitting and done over a few days, and I was finally able to sort out the cockpit arrangement.

The right upper fuselage wall is where the six PE starter cartridges holders go plus the one large one vertically glued in place. Talk about a nerve racking assembly – took me a number of nights and a miracle I didn’t lose any. I’m still struggling with shaping them as even with my magnifier lamp, seeing the ultra tiny bands and bending them is nearly impossible for these old eyes.

Kit parts are very well detailed and I even chose some kit parts over the resin replacement parts: rudder pedals and joy stick that were wonderfully molded, same level of detailing and much easier to work with.

The interior was primed with MRP Light Gray Primer and then followed up with MRP RAF Gray Green and finally Tamiya Nato Black. I always wear my respirator and use my spray booth when air brushing, no matter what brand and type of paint – even Mig which is a non-toxic acrylic. Side consoles are very well detailed and again the assembly sequence isn’t that clear and takes a bit of tinkering to figure it out. Lots of small decals are included with the kit and nearly all were applied – my nerves are still a bit shot.    

I did want to add some light weathering to add a bit of wear and highlight the details as well. Going Old School, I abandoned my normal method of using Tamiya Panel Line Washes and made a wash of Model Air Nato Black, thinned with water to the consistency I wanted. Let dry and if more is needed another coat went on easy as pie – if too much, just wipe off the offending washing with either a damped brush or Q-Tip – the old ways just seem to work so well and there is absolutely no chance of removing or damaging the paint under the wash or went removing excess wash with solvents.

I’m in the home stretch of finishing up the front office and am making good progress on the IP and starting on the resin seat with the HGW seatbelt set.   

Next up:

Finishing the front office and interior, buttoning up the fuselage.

Thanks for checking in

Keep ‘em comin

Peter   

7soscw.jpg

giReas.jpg

qbbHjC.jpg

GyfSlL.jpg

ii9JE3.jpg

XGiH1D.jpg

e55cIV.jpg

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

SPECIAL HOBBY TEMPEST Mk.II

1/32 HIGH TECH KIT

THE FRONT OFFICE

Following the instruction sequence, the build starts in the front office and no real surprises but EXTRA CARE AND PATIENCE needs to be exercised and actually determining where and how all the parts go was a bit difficult at times. While the instructions are very colorful the actual part placements was tough to figure out as lots of spaghetti like red arrows have to be followed and what sub assembly goes first isn’t always clear and to even at times the part is shown being glued to one part and on another page, being glued to a different part.  Lots of test fitting and done over a few days, and I was finally able to sort out the cockpit arrangement.

The right upper fuselage wall is where the six PE starter cartridges holders go plus the one large one vertically glued in place. Talk about a nerve racking assembly – took me a number of nights and a miracle I didn’t lose any. I’m still struggling with shaping them as even with my magnifier lamp, seeing the ultra tiny bands and bending them is nearly impossible for these old eyes.

Kit parts are very well detailed and I even chose some kit parts over the resin replacement parts: rudder pedals and joy stick that were wonderfully molded, same level of detailing and much easier to work with.

The interior was primed with MRP Light Gray Primer and then followed up with MRP RAF Gray Green and finally Tamiya Nato Black. I always wear my respirator and use my spray booth when air brushing, no matter what brand and type of paint – even Mig which is a non-toxic acrylic. Side consoles are very well detailed and again the assembly sequence isn’t that clear and takes a bit of tinkering to figure it out. Lots of small decals are included with the kit and nearly all were applied – my nerves are still a bit shot.    

I did want to add some light weathering to add a bit of wear and highlight the details as well. Going Old School, I abandoned my normal method of using Tamiya Panel Line Washes and made a wash of Model Air Nato Black, thinned with water to the consistency I wanted. Let dry and if more is needed another coat went on easy as pie – if too much, just wipe off the offending washing with either a damped brush or Q-Tip – the old ways just seem to work so well and there is absolutely no chance of removing or damaging the paint under the wash or went removing excess wash with solvents.

I’m in the home stretch of finishing up the front office and am making good progress on the IP and starting on the resin seat with the HGW seatbelt set.   

Next up:

Finishing the front office and interior, buttoning up the fuselage.

Thanks for checking in

Keep ‘em comin

Peter   

7soscw.jpg

giReas.jpg

qbbHjC.jpg

GyfSlL.jpg

ii9JE3.jpg

XGiH1D.jpg

e55cIV.jpg

Looking good! :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks John

Starting to get into a roll - just takes a bit to get use to working in 32nd scale after the last two months in 48th scale.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Looking Real good Peter and yeah stuck in 1/48th ATTM myself been enjoyable though. ;)

• Like 2