Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

SH Tempest Mk.II HIgh Tech Kit

Thanks Rob

Sometimes I enjoy going back to the old skills and simpler way we did things, which seem to work just as well. Completely agree about the instructions - terrific on the overall effect and placement but falls a bit short on the exact locations at times.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

Thanks Harv

Chipping away, day after day as the interior is loaded with parts and now the HGW Seatbelts - first time playing with their seatbelts and it's some job for these old eyes. Of course, my part count is pale in comparison in the conversion set for your Wessex HU5.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Chipping away, day after day as the interior is loaded with parts and now the HGW Seatbelts

You know for sure, but in case you haven't heard, that it is easier to fiddle the belts into the PE-loops, when these are still not cut from the 'sprue'.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Thanks Kai

It's a kit that seems to draw the builder to the bench and keep him there. Not a perfect kit and not Tamiya in part fit but right up there for sure. Working on the HGW seatbelts, the IP is now done and I should  be ready to start closing up the fuselage in a few days.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

Kev

I've heard lots of good things about the Revell version and they might even have improved on the instructions, which I'm finding as I get deeper and deeper into the build leave a lot to be desired - nice to look at but are very vague on part placement. For the money, knowing what I know now, I would pass on the SH Hi Tech version and go for the Revell kit myself. Hope you do a build thread on the kit. so we can follow and enjoy.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CLOSING UP THE FRONT OFFICE

9/19/21

Finishing up the front office with the last subassembly being the resin seat and HGW seatbelts. The seat looked gorgeous, well detailed and no flash in sight, a few small parts added, of which I used Extra Thin and should have used CCA. The seat was primed, the framing air brushed with RAF Gray Green and the seat cushion brush painted with semi gloss black and lightly weathered with a few washes to look leather like.

The HGW Seatbelt set - I frustrated myself for two nights figuring out how to assemble them, as the instructions in the kit again aren’t that clear for a novice HGW user. Thanks, Rob for the advice on how to add the PE, which then went well. Folding over the straps as shown on the instructions, left light, unpainted tabs, so I painted and added a wash to hopefully blend everything together. The seatbelts and shoulder harnesses had already been added, looked a bit thin in width to my taste (but most likely is correct) and then the seat install. Hold on Bucky, not so fast as it didn’t work as I thought, the instructions indicated on what to do and they proved to be of no real help. Placement instructions were vague at best, online searches helped but I shouldn’t have needed to do that.

I completed the cockpit framing and of course, fit issues popped up and the instructions again were a letdown; way over complicated and trying to figure out where everything actually went was confusing. To make matters worse, one assembly sequence appeared twice in different steps? I had worked as carefully as I was capable of, scraped off any paint on the male locating pins and drilled out all the female locating holes, struggled and finally had it together. During this step, locating the seat remained unclear at least for me. Finally, the seat was glued into place with CCA and one last job to do before closing up the fuselage; adding the IP or so I thought.

After following the instructions and locating where and how the IP attached to the frame was again somewhat frustrating but finally, I had the IP in place.

So far, I’ve glued the gun sight and mounting bracket on four times and managed to snapped it off every time, deciding now to leave it off until just before installing the front windscreen. Photographs of the actual Tempest showed the gunsight bracket end tabs to be a bit different and are attached to the cockpit a bit differently then the kits’ – I’m going with what’s in the box as it will be mostly unseen in the end anyway.  

The oxygen bottle on the rear bulkhead still needs the straps painted and I also need to do a bit of house cleaning and dust the entire assembly.

Next up: buttoning up the fuselage

Thanks for checking in

Peter

NnR5Cm.jpg

Q0NPMk.jpg

AeapAl.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Phil

I have been checking and the fit isn't good at all, as the rear bulkhead is way too big. I can close up the top halves of the fuselage and then the bottom won't close at all. I've needed to do major sanding on the rear bulkhead edges and now am able to close up the bottom halves of the fuselage with just a bit of squeezing the sides together. As far as I'm concerned, the rear bulkhead is way too wide and doesn't fit at all.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Awesome work Peter! I've never used HGW seatbelts but they do look quite complex; I imagine that I'd struggle with them too.... Interesting to hear about how the instructions are so bad. You'd think they could have at least go that right!

Loving your progress though 😉

Craig

• Like 1

Peter, when it comes to AM seat belts, the only company I've found that has included decent instructions on how to assemble them is Wako. They've even laid out the buckles so you can thread them on the fret without clipping them off. I wish some other companies would follow their lead. 

Here's a pic from their instructions for the Sutton harness.

20170827_103518-600x338.jpg 20170827_103459_HDR-600x338.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Peter, when it comes to AM seat belts, the only company I've found that has included decent instructions on how to assemble them is Wako. They've even laid out the buckles so you can thread them on the fret without clipping them off. I wish some other companies would follow their lead. 

Here's a pic from their instructions for the Sutton harness.

20170827_103518-600x338.jpg 20170827_103459_HDR-600x338.jpg

Who is  carrying them Carl.....harv

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harv said:

Who is  carrying them Carl.....harv

Harv, I know HLJ carries them and so does my LHS here in Toronto. 

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=Wako&productFilter=category%3AAircraft%3B%3Bmanufacturer%3AWako%3B%3Bscale%3A1%2F32

They usually have 2 sets in a pack. The HD are like the fabric that HGW uses and the Standard uses paper for the belts like RB. The HD have to be painted.

One thing though. The buckles are plastic so you have to be careful with them. I have broken the odd buckle if you're a bit too rough with them. 

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1