The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Liberator GR Mk VI

2 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

It really is. Plus I had to put so much nose weight in that holding it up to paint it has been tiring. 

You need a jig.  When I was doing the 1/48 Monogram B-29 I built a Jig.  Cruciform base supporting a 4inX4in piece of lumber 1.5M tall.  Atop the 4X4 I had a piece of angle iron bracket that could swivel 360 degrees.  Attached to the side of that and held on by a wingnut was another cruciform made of wood.  I glued some foam rubber to the upper cross to protect the underside of the bird.  Then, I would use 4 pieces of panty hose to tie wings and fuselage to the cross.  Unlike Rubber bands, panty hose won;t mar any surface, and always maintain tension even if tied with a not-super-tight knot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I managed to finish the fuselage camo tonight. 

That looks gorgeous Carl, I love these North Atlantic schemes. Good that the wings are removable, other ways freehanding the camo could be inflicted by hitting a shelf with a wingtip.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Carl

She is looking mighty good ... aces on the cammo work. I'm sure the B-24 is in the heavy weight department with all the weight you added and is a' handful' the more you have to lift the model during a work session. Sure wish I had the room for the 32nd scale heavies but there just isn't the needed real estate.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DocRob said:

That looks gorgeous Carl, I love these North Atlantic schemes. Good that the wings are removable, other ways freehanding the camo could be inflicted by hitting a shelf with a wingtip.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob! Unfortunately the wings aren't removable but rather assemble around the spar. Plus with the demarcation of the camo, I felt it best to paint everything before I join them and then hopefully just have some touch-ups. 

15 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

She is looking mighty good ... aces on the cammo work. I'm sure the B-24 is in the heavy weight department with all the weight you added and is a' handful' the more you have to lift the model during a work session. Sure wish I had the room for the 32nd scale heavies but there just isn't the needed real estate.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'm not sure I have the room for it either to be honest. The "plan" is to build a bunch of kits so that I can consolidate one of my shelves and then I'll have room to build a new display case. Then I'll have the display space for this, my 2 Lancs, and B-17. Plus whatever else will fit. 

10 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

This one is coming along really well. 👍

Thanks Martin, always great to get your encouragement.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mark31 said:

Great work and what a best

Like the camo colors

Mark

Thanks Mark! Except for the size, it's probably easier than your Viggen. 

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Carl

Progress is progress and while it may seem not like much was done, that's a lot of real estate to paint in one seeion.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

It certainly is Peter. The scary part is I still have to do the upper wings. One step at a time. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

That’s a big old beast when assembled, camo looking amazing. Did it fit in the booth?

Thanks Phil!

No booth, just what's supposed to be a dedicated bench and exhaust fans for painting. One reason why I'm using Mission Models paint on this and the Lanc (when the time comes). It has absolutely no smell and washes up with water. 

• Like 4

Great progess Carl and looking very nice under some colour. 

Are you painting the 2 wing halves separately and then gluing together on to the wing spar followed by the necessary clean up and touching up or do you have a clever plan to build the wings separately and slide fit on to the spars?

Regards. Andy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 2:46 PM, monnthebiff said:

Great progess Carl and looking very nice under some colour. 

Are you painting the 2 wing halves separately and then gluing together on to the wing spar followed by the necessary clean up and touching up or do you have a clever plan to build the wings separately and slide fit on to the spars?

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy! The wings has to be assembled around the spar so I'm going to paint it and then join the halves together. The good thing is the leading edge boots will need to be painted so that will cover up any filler. 

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great progress Carl! This will be a beauty in the end. 

Thanks Kai! 

• Like 2

I made some decent progress tonight. I finished the camo on the horizontal tailplanes.

PXL_20220601_214016162.thumb.jpg.17aac8388e7317d737af4b5a601a2908.jpg

I then masked them and they vertical tails for the de-icing boots. 

PXL_20220602_012718500_MP.thumb.jpg.b1d9ac959d44bf315f9e2b90ac743c2a.jpg

When done, I dry fitted everything together. 

PXL_20220602_015642270.thumb.jpg.5d1f6302b8eb4ffc919a1c59e2c09c26.jpg

PXL_20220602_015635516_MP.thumb.jpg.bb3c180bc1058157d5dd626f5e76f146.jpg

I'm going to leave them off until I have main wings on. Less things for them to bump into. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 5/30/2022 at 12:44 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks Phil!

No booth, just what's supposed to be a dedicated bench and exhaust fans for painting. One reason why I'm using Mission Models paint on this and the Lanc (when the time comes). It has absolutely no smell and washes up with water. 

Carl

These days being a cancer patient and thankfully in full remission, I am very cautious of toxic fumes and chemicals. I always paint, no matter what type of paint in a paint booth and wear a very good OSHA approved respirator. I’ve tried switching over to non toxic paints but am have had a hard time doing it. The only paints I know of that specifically say they are both non-toxic and have no odor - Ammo by MiG acrylics. I am slowly switching, as I use up my stash of lacquer paint, if there is an equivalent.

terrific progress on the paint work - cammo and de-icing boots look perfect.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Peter, I hear you on the paints. Having my youngest at the bench has made me re-think some of the supplies I use as well. The times I do spray a lacquer and he's with me, I'll ask him to leave just to be that bit extra safe. 

I need to try the Ammo acrylics and see what they're like. I've been burned too many times by acrylics just not having the adhesion needed to stick to plastic or being fragile if they do. Even the Mission Models stuff isn't perfect. Tamiya and Gunze acrylics have been bomb proof but Tamiya doesn't colour match and Gunze until very recently had been near impossible to get. 

• Like 4

I had the day off work so I made some progress on the wings. 

Fitst thing I did was glue the gear bays in place before I forgot about them and end up with all sorts of pain later. 

PXL_20220602_163411614.thumb.jpg.8d1dd32eb0c3b184bcd3ff498134e127.jpg

After @monnthebiff's suggestion to assemble the wings and then  slide them on, I took a look to see if it was feasible. 

OOB, there are two long legs that go through the spar and lock the wings into place. 

PXL_20220602_163927157.thumb.jpg.5d868143d787284c51c782964213bcab.jpg

I clipped(hacked?) them off and found that you can indeed slip the assembled wing on. 

PXL_20220602_163907546.thumb.jpg.3f8863a1df4342a2df3c8a063fdb3658.jpg

So both wings are now glued together and drying. 

PXL_20220602_165507369_MP.thumb.jpg.ca04487a1c006dbfb219aae555e03242.jpg

Some seam filling and then time to paint the upper sides. 

• Like 6