The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Group Builds.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators
10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I presume that ship models will be included?  1/350 is as "large" as I can go there....   Ooh...   just realized I have a 1/72 scale S-boat.  Are these scales gonna work?

As far as ships go, I’m cool with it. 1/350 is a good scale for dreadnoughts, and 1/64 is decent for sailing ships. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Well said and appreciate all the hard work you do.

I'm in for the WET GB theme if that's the decision. Any chance of pushing the start date to December 1st as I have one more 32nd scale build I can't wait to start and get going on?

I think we can swing that, Peter. I need to finish my Mig and my Helldiver. JohnB I’m not!  I can’t build one of these in three sleeps

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I have so many seaplanes and flying boats in the stash that it’s going to take me a few weeks just to decide…And then, there is also the S-39 project I could resurrect, especially now that I have a 3D printer for some parts … Mmmmh …:rolleyes:

Hubert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

I think we can swing that, Peter. I need to finish my Mig and my Helldiver. JohnB I’m not!  I can’t build one of these in three sleeps

Ernie .. Perfect and I'm in.

Is any 1/350 ship OK or does the type of ship dictate the scale? I wanted to build a 1/350 USS Gato (10.7 in) and the size is manageable. I also found the sub available from Trumpeter in 1/144 scale but it's close to 26 inches in length and way too large for my spray booth. I'm very careful these days about paint fumes, wear a respirator and always paint inside the confines of my paint booth.  Since cancer and chemo, I have to be extra vigilant.

• Like 4

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie .. Perfect and I'm in.

Is any 1/350 ship OK or does the type of ship dictate the scale? I wanted to build a 1/350 USS Gato (10.7 in) and the size is manageable. I also found the sub available from Trumpeter in 1/144 scale but it's close to 26 inches in length and way too large for my spray booth. I'm very careful these days about paint fumes, wear a respirator and always paint inside the confines of my paint booth.  Since cancer and chemo, I have to be extra vigilant.

Anything goes as long as it’s not microscopic. I misplaced my microscope. 
I try to make it easy, not hard for y’all. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

GB... As Hubert, my record at finishing anything in a GB is 0. So i do have some mix felling about GB, but I will support, as Administrator, any gb choosen.

I dont even start to make like the Ukraine GB... shame on me.

Yet, The Wet GB looks a great ideia. 

And I will try to get something done on that GB.

Fran

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Fran said:

GB... As Hubert, my record at finishing anything in a GB is 0. So i do have some mix felling about GB, but I will support, as Administrator, any gb choosen.

I dont even start to make like the Ukraine GB... shame on me.

Yet, The Wet GB looks a great ideia. 

And I will try to get something done on that GB.

Fran

My record of completion is almost as good as yours. :)  but at least it gets us building something different. I’m looking at an FF.33L right now, thinking it might be a fun build…..

• Like 5

• Administrators

The FF33 (I think I know that one ;) ) is perfect to the Wet GB!

I had Revell 1:32 AR196... but I need to get the Catapult and some add ons... SO need to find someting else... and this time, try to make in time within the GB time!! 

• Like 4

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Fran said:

The FF33 (I think I know that one ;) ) is perfect to the Wet GB!

I had Revell 1:32 AR196... but I need to get the Catapult and some add ons... SO need to find someting else... and this time, try to make in time within the GB time!! 

I have the first edition AR.196 (twin float), and also a resin version of that airplane as well.  HPH maybe?  I do have the catapult as well, so if I ever get Gung Ho.   HPH makes a really nice replacement canopy for the Revell kit, although that Revell kit is VERY hard to find these days. 

• Like 5

• Administrators

And guys, just as an aside, Fran and I really appreciate your help in helping moderate this place, even if it’s just reporting something.  
We talked Martin and Scott in to helping as they can, and between us, there would always be someone around to shout at if something needs fixing. 
We may look at adding a person to cover the Far East time zones as our forum continues to grow some.  Right now, we’re mostly Europe and North America, but we have a few folks here who still live down there and insist on spending all their waking hours clinging to the earth to keep from falling off…. 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I'm trying to think ahead here, Ernie. Would the HpH catapult qualify? My Arado 196 is probably over 25% complete, but that sizeable resin sets has been calling my name for a few years now.

I, like Hubert, have a number of float planes in the stash.

• Like 6

Well, the theme suggested by Martin is not only about flying boats and seaplanes, but, if you wonder, there are a number of those in 1/32, whether injected, resin or vacform.

Just to name a few, out of memory, and I am sure I am forgetting a few ... :

Injected plastic :

Revell Arado 196, both the A and B versions; Piper Pa-18-150, Ex-Matchbox Tiger Moth

Trumpeter 1/24 Spifire Mk V on floats

There is also a 1/24 Beaver from a manufacturer  I do not remember of

There is a Rufe conversion for the A6M-2

WnW's HB W-29 and W-12, Flexstowe F2

Roden Piper L-19 on floats

Doyusha Type 93 Akatombo

Kitty Hawk Kingfisher

and, of course, you have all the Navy types, which, one day or another, had their feet wet, whether with props, jets or helos...

In resin :

The collection of Marsh Models/Aerotech Schneider Trophy Seaplens and floatplanes is significant : Supermarine S4, S5, S6, S6b, Macchi M-39, M-52, M-67, MC-72, Gloster VI, Savoia-Marchetti S-65,

Long OOP and rare as a Hen's teeth, Essdale Supermarine S6b and Macchi MC-72

Brach Model Macchi MC-72 and Savoia S-33

HPH Catalina, Macchi M-5, Supermarine Walrus (OOP). IIRC, they also did a Letov 328 on floats ...

Lukgraph Hansa Brandenburg typ NV, Friedrichshafen FF.33, Spowith Baby, Curtiss F6-C3 on floats

Silver Wings Heinkel He-51 on floats

XS models Curtiss R3C on floats

Vacform :

Tigger Shorts Sunderland

Combat Models Sikorsky S-39 ...

I am sure this list is short of a few, if only when one adds the paper models ;)

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hmm, GB's, I'm not sure about. I don't want to spoil the party, but my recollections of GB's aren't the best here. I attended two, finished one in time, but both GB's were never finished. As I'm exclusively here on LSM for plastic modelling, these were my first experiences with GB's. 
Don't get me wrong, generally I like the idea of group builds, as they drive members (me included) out of their comfort zone and it's a great tool to have a bit more interaction in LSM than is at present. 
There are a lot of builders and 'presenters' recently and not as much discussion and interaction as there were some time ago. I am guilty of that for different reasons actually and all the others do have their own reasons for sure. 
That is, where a group build can help to stir the situation up a bit, like I have seen it with the Ukrainian GB lately. 

I like Martin's wide idea of wetties for a GB, where I guess, everybody can find a subject to attend, but have a few questions about possible entries from my side, if I'm in.

- What about a 1/72 Schnellboot?
- If I make a dio of a 1/48 Walrus, floating in a rough sea, with a lifeboat aside, would that do?

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Whatever gets wet , schnellboot and the mine floating beside it, Mary Poppins with broken umbrella, you name it. :)

I think the proper expression in this case is «  whatever floats your boat » ;)

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 9/14/2022 at 3:51 AM, DocRob said:

Hmm, GB's, I'm not sure about. I don't want to spoil the party, but my recollections of GB's aren't the best here. I attended two, finished one in time, but both GB's were never finished. As I'm exclusively here on LSM for plastic modelling, these were my first experiences with GB's. 
Don't get me wrong, generally I like the idea of group builds, as they drive members (me included) out of their comfort zone and it's a great tool to have a bit more interaction in LSM than is at present. 
There are a lot of builders and 'presenters' recently and not as much discussion and interaction as there were some time ago. I am guilty of that for different reasons actually and all the others do have their own reasons for sure. 
That is, where a group build can help to stir the situation up a bit, like I have seen it with the Ukrainian GB lately. 

I like Martin's wide idea of wetties for a GB, where I guess, everybody can find a subject to attend, but have a few questions about possible entries from my side, if I'm in.

- What about a 1/72 Schnellboot?
- If I make a dio of a 1/48 Walrus, floating in a rough sea, with a lifeboat aside, would that do?

Cheers Rob

Rob, when I put out the idea of the All of Ukrainian GB, one of the biggest complaints here was that they never ended. Matter of fact, there was an ongoing GB here for about 4 years that was long since null and void and I just took it upon myself to mercifully end it. 
I’ve extended the Ukraine GB because we had a couple latecomers, but it’s ending in 3 days and someone’s getting a new model out of it. 

I’m hoping to have one good GB per year. LSM is a well attended site now, and an interesting topic that gives everyone a chance to express themselves is important to me.  
I have to continually remind myself that we are not just an aircraft site. We have numerous armor builders as well, as well as a growing cadre of ship builders. The more the merrier, in my books. 
If you EVER feel a GB has lingered too long, please say something. In retrospect, maybe I should have closed Ukraine last month, but we did get two high quality finishes since, so it worked out. 

• Like 7