The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Next up....Revell Mk II Spitfire

I've had this one in the stash for a while so I guess now is a good time to build it. I plan to use the Quinta set (ordered today) for the cockpit but the rest will be OOB including the markings (at least at this point LOL). Looks to be a straight forward build although I have read a few build reviews detailing some "problems". However, I don't think it will be a high cuss-factor build so onward, etc! :)

1-7-23 001.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Good call on the correction set. It'll make big difference.

After reading some build reviews I decided I best go on and get the set. Now I'll be waiting for that AND the Quinta set to build the model. Guess I'll have to find something to work on in between. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Looking forward to following your progress. I have the kit and the Quinta detail set and was going to build it sometime this year. never thought about the Barracuda upgrade set but things I'm sure will change.

It should make a nice model but now I'm waiting for the Quinta set and the Barracuda set. Seems like I'm always waiting for stuff! LOL

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JohnB said:

[…] Guess I'll have to find something to work on in between. 🙄

How about a Tamiya Corsair or P-51? I reckon you have the time before the Postman (or woman) drops the AM goodies on your doorstep.

Hubert

• Like 5

I'm joining in watching this one, I love a spitfire. I've built about 6 of these over the past few years all out of the box except decals and belts and one that I converted to an early PR mark. Personally I think they are good kits, I've not had any build or fit issues and at the end of the build you most certainly have an unmistakable spitfire.  Cockpit-wise mine are always closed up and once done you can't see much detail so what comes with the kit I'm happy with. Have fun with it, there are some interesting paint schemes and decal options for early spits if you fancy something different.

• Like 5

Hi John, built one of those way back in 2016, I got a tweak list from the late Spitfire expert Edgar, this involved me using lots of Barracuda part, the Edgar list is at the start of this build thread from Britmodeller. Hope it's of some use to you.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015609-eagle-squadron-spitfire/

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

7 hours ago, HubertB said:

How about a Tamiya Corsair or P-51? I reckon you have the time before the Postman (or woman) drops the AM goodies on your doorstep.

Hubert

LOL Hubert. I have a Revell P-51 that I set aside mid-build a few weeks ago so I guess that will be what I'll work on in the meantime. Ought to work out well. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, npb748r said:

I'm joining in watching this one, I love a spitfire. I've built about 6 of these over the past few years all out of the box except decals and belts and one that I converted to an early PR mark. Personally I think they are good kits, I've not had any build or fit issues and at the end of the build you most certainly have an unmistakable spitfire.  Cockpit-wise mine are always closed up and once done you can't see much detail so what comes with the kit I'm happy with. Have fun with it, there are some interesting paint schemes and decal options for early spits if you fancy something different.

Whenever the Quinta and Barracuda sets get here I'll get going on the build. At this point I plan to use kit decals but that may change later on. Since I'll be using the very nice Quinta cockpit set I'll have the hood and door open. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Hi John, built one of those way back in 2016, I got a tweak list from the late Spitfire expert Edgar, this involved me using lots of Barracuda part, the Edgar list is at the start of this build thread from Britmodeller. Hope it's of some use to you.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015609-eagle-squadron-spitfire/

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I've saved the link and will refer to it when I get ready to start. Thanks again!!! :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Hmmmmm a Spit, only ever built one in my life, ok how sad am I. Apparently Kotare have now announced not only the 1A (Late) but adding the 1A (Early) plus the Mk VA………….I think I maybe building more Spits……

We'll be Spitfire rich I guess!! LOL :)

• Like 3

• Administrators

The Barracuda set is a good call for this kit, not for any real shortcomings of the parts, but Revell got turned around and some parts are Mk.V, and other issues with the type of prop for the period, and metal vs fabric ailerons, etc. 

I think Revell’s oil cooler was Mk.V, if I remember right. Ooops. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

The Barracuda set is a good call for this kit, not for any real shortcomings of the parts, but Revell got turned around and some parts are Mk.V, and other issues with the type of prop for the period, and metal vs fabric ailerons, etc. 

I think Revell’s oil cooler was Mk.V, if I remember right. Ooops. 

I'm glad Roy did a fix for it. Should enhance the model a lot.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That's for sure. There's also a XIV conversion coming for the Tamiya XVI kit. I'll need at least one of those if not 2. The XIV is my favourite Spitfire. 

Carl

I'm looking forward to the conversion kit and have a few Tamiya Spits in the stash, ready to use.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, James H said:

I remember building that!

Time flies too, as it's almost 10yrs old.

spitfire copy.jpg

Time certainly does fly! :) I got it when it was new and am just now getting around to building it.

• Like 5