Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

1:32 Tamiya Mossie FB Mk.VI with the whole enchilada

• Administrators

It's been a very long time. 

At the moment, I'm working towards completing the hull of my 1:64 HMS Indefatigable, prior to masting and rigging, and I know that when she's complete, I will have further prototype work to do, but......that then won't stop me doing some prep work on something else.

My plan is to finally build my 1:32 Tamiya Mossie that was kindly donated for the cause.That will be supplemented by just about every Eduard set you cab imagine (interior, exterior, engines, cockpit, gun bay etc.). I also want to do this in an unusual scheme. My question here is what scheme do I use? This needs to be something either unusual, or a regular scheme of a machine that had an important service history. I am also open to other suggestions with details. Is there a really nice pre-painted/printed IP around?

I will come back to this topic over the next couple of months or so to add stuff I find useful and to get any suggestions from those that might've built this one before. Just bear with me with this. 

60326__2___61019.jpg

32379.gif

32849_1.gif

632065_1.jpg

632078_01(3)_z1.png

632077_2.jpg

632077_1.jpg

632090_01.jpg

• Like 8

• Administrators

James, I’m a firm believer in 3D printed decals. Quinta makes a full line of them and Hannants carry’s  them as well.  
You apply them like decals but I like to use Future or similar as an adhesive as well. And they look stunning. 

• Like 6

• Administrators

James, I’m a real fan of the BOAC courier birds. There’s a bit of work to do on the nacelles, the Siamese exhaust was eliminated on them and a tiny bit of describing is needed, but Fündecals makes a really nice set for it. 
I’m halfway through the glass nose version using the HK kit.  Most were solid nose so the Tamiya kit is the answer

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

The problem with Quinta is that they’re Russian, so availability can be spotty. But Hannants and Sprue Brothers usually keep ample supply. 

I get mine from HobbyNut Models Ernie I think they may actually have more than SB in the inventory?;)

• Like 6

I'm a fan of Coastal Command Mossies and the Banff Strike Wing ones myself. They used some interesting camo schemes.

This is my first Tamiya Mossie in the Ad Hoc scheme which was a thin coat of Dark Sea Grey sprayed over the standard night fighter camo. 

IMG_20161014_222726-L.jpg

There's also the MK XVIII Tse Tse with the 6 PDR which is what I'm planning to do with my second kit. 

IMG_20180731_164507-L.jpg

Aviaelogy used to have some great decal sheets for Mossies that carried nose art but it may be hard to find. 

• Like 8

I know mine (a Mk IV with the glass nose - the most beautiful Mosquito IMHO) will be finished as Don Mc Vicar’s CF-ZFG, a racing Mossie for the Bendix Trophy, all yellow with a green trim. 
A pity HK Models f#&!-up the wing root profile …

I’ll let you guys go looking for the said Mossie. You may be tempted to read the book by Don Mc Vicar, really enjoyable and fun ;)

Hubert

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, HubertB said:

I know mine (a Mk IV with the glass nose - the most beautiful Mosquito IMHO) will be finished as Don Mc Vicar’s CF-ZFG, a racing Mossie for the Bendix Trophy, all yellow with a green trim. 
A pity HK Models f#&!-up the wing root profile …

I’ll let you guys go looking for the said Mossie. You may be tempted to read the book by Don Mc Vicar, really enjoyable and fun ;)

Hubert

EXCELLENT choice Hubert, and yes the book is great !

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

I tend to keep stocking up on them for specific builds down the road. One of the reasons I prefer then over Red Fox (which I still want to try) is the seatbelts and extra details included.

I am looking at the Red Fox as we speak. I’d rather go Red Fox route for obvious reasons. By the looks of their site the quality looks good.

James, on my Mossie yet to be built, I’ve added HGW belts and mesh AM for the filters. I bought the Yahu IP but l like the look of the Red Fox IP………

• Like 6

If you want to avoid decals for stencils and markings, these are great. A lot of extra work, but they blend in perfectly and with the colors you choose.

De Havilland Mosquito Mk.VI, 1ManArmy 32DET049 (scalemates.com)

I used a set for my recently finished Corsair build and they are absolutely gorgeous and no silvering with thickish Tamiya decal stencils.
Besides the stencils, the sets provide basic markings.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, DocRob said:

If you want to avoid decals for stencils and markings, these are great. A lot of extra work, but they blend in perfectly and with the colors you choose.

De Havilland Mosquito Mk.VI, 1ManArmy 32DET049 (scalemates.com)

I used a set for my recently finished Corsair build and they are absolutely gorgeous and no silvering with thickish Tamiya decal stencils.
Besides the stencils, the sets provide basic markings.

Cheers Rob

Those look very neat!

• Like 4