Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

23 hours ago, Jeff said:

I saw those Jeff and they were Plan B. 

Plan A was to do the CWHM CF-104D in NMF with red tail and tip tanks and white wings.  The serial is 12641 which created a problem  as the decal sheet only has enough numbers to do the fuselage numbers but not the wing one.  A small oversight. Which led me to Plan A.1 and find a different serial number to do.  Right now I'm leaning towards 12662 but 12666 could be fun :)

• Like 3

Amazon is my friend...! :lol:

...though I wish I had the P-47 Flight Ops Manual about a month ago!  There are some small errors in PE placement in the Eduard instructions, which are problematic to fix at this point without some major repainting 

image.jpg

• Like 4

And in today’s installment...

In today’s mail:  micro-fabric seatbelts for the P-47.  I have the Eduard PE belts, but wanted to give the fabric version a shot for comparison’s sake

so a question for the experts - what’s the best glue for these guys?  I’m thinking really thin CA (the instructions say “dispersive glue”, whatever that means).  Any pointers?

D4EA3E8A-F3AD-4E5F-881E-1DD8E6458F10.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I saw those Jeff and they were Plan B. 

Plan A was to do the CWHM CF-104D in NMF with red tail and tip tanks and white wings.  The serial is 12641 which created a problem  as the decal sheet only has enough numbers to do the fuselage numbers but not the wing one.  A small oversight. Which led me to Plan A.1 and find a different serial number to do.  Right now I'm leaning towards 12662 but 12666 could be fun :)

Always good to have a plan 'B'.................. where did you get David's decals? Is he done for sure? I see his website is still up, .....................................

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Always good to have a plan 'B'.................. where did you get David's decals? Is he done for sure? I see his website is still up, .....................................

I had heard he was done as well but saw them on his website so took a chance. Considering he's only an hour away from me it took almost 3 weeks for them to get to me. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, crazypoet said:

And in today’s installment...

In today’s mail:  micro-fabric seatbelts for the P-47.  I have the Eduard PE belts, but wanted to give the fabric version a shot for comparison’s sake

so a question for the experts - what’s the best glue for these guys?  I’m thinking really thin CA (the instructions say “dispersive glue”, whatever that means).  Any pointers?

D4EA3E8A-F3AD-4E5F-881E-1DD8E6458F10.jpeg

I use regular CA when I build them. Leave the buckles attached to the fret where possible and thread the belts through them before you cut them loose. Much less fiddly this way and less risk of lost buckles. 

IMG_20160422_172724-L.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I use regular CA when I build them. Leave the buckles attached to the fret where possible and thread the belts through them before you cut them loose. Much less fiddly this way and less risk of lost buckles. 

IMG_20160422_172724-L.jpg

Awesome - thanks!

aside from the potential for ham-handed cutting/trimming errors on my part, these look to be a lot more friendly to work with as well as having better textures 

• Like 2

Today the correos (mail) brought me this beauty. As always the arrival of new stuff leads to questions - it's a forum, right :D.
I'm not decided about how to tackle the Goddess. Used and worn or new and shiny. The all deciding question is how to handle the chrome parts. The plating looks to be very decent at first sight and Ebbro tried to leave the connectors to the sprue in places which are mostly hidden.

I don't have much expertise in car models, the last one was an old 1/35 Mercedes Benz for my Iraq dio, but this had no chrome parts and I worked with Bare Metal foil to get the effect.

Does one of you have some golden tips about removing chrome plating properly without destroying the plastic. I read about oven cleaner, but does that clean the hidden corners?  

Cheers Rob

IMG_6517.thumb.JPG.7485f53bc60703297a2a8a4f5cf2113b.JPG

IMG_6518.thumb.JPG.fe26172e3128ea66d1d27e56f4899f25.JPG

IMG_6519.thumb.JPG.8c53092d431d512e1d5fce46a91f1073.JPG

• Like 5

Yes, oven cleaner (one containing caustic soda) will remove chrome just like it will remove paint. 

Put the parts in a plastic bag, spray them with oven cleaner, and let it act for an hour or more. Rinse, et voilà ! And in case not everything has been removed, repeat the operation, and scrub gently with a toothbrush (not the one you use for yourself :wacko: )

Hubert

• Like 5

1 hour ago, harv said:

That's what I was told. Not supposed to harm the plastic....harv

Thanks Harv, good to know that there will be no big lump of melted plastic in the end ;).

43 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Yes, oven cleaner (one containing caustic soda) will remove chrome just like it will remove paint. 

Put the parts in a plastic bag, spray them with oven cleaner, and let it act for an hour or more. Rinse, et voilà ! And in case not everything has been removed, repeat the operation, and scrub gently with a toothbrush (not the one you use for yourself :wacko: )

Hubert

Thanks Hubert, to seal the process in a plastic bag is a good idea. Get rid of the chrome and then put it back on with lots of effort :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

I use Easy Off Oven cleaner.....works like a charm...... maybe wear light gloves, as it can burn with the caustic soda.................. it works perfectly, I do as Hubert says, then I rinse with warm water, and then wash the parts with soap and warm water, just to be sure, never had a mishap..........

• Like 5

Well, not an LSM and very unexpected. We went to a dairy farm today with some friends on a trip for our kids to learn and have some fun. Got to watch Sue milk a cow which was worth it alone. Needless to say it being a farm there were barn cats and one of them recently had a litter of kittens. All the kids were bonkers over the little fur balls and there were many proclamations of wanting to take one home.

IMG_20190928_175608-L.jpg

IMG_20190928_175612-L.jpg

Talking to one of the owners about the cats and kittens in general, she mentioned there was a cat that had recently been abandoned on their farm.  He was being bullied by the barn cats and they didn't think he'd last because of it. Sure as rain, the little guy came along and upon seeing him we couldn't say no. So this is Sunny. We figure he's around 6-7 months old. 

IMG_20190928_204351-L.jpg

At least he isn't a calf or adult dairy cow :D

Carl

• Like 9

On 9/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, DocRob said:

Today the correos (mail) brought me this beauty. As always the arrival of new stuff leads to questions - it's a forum, right :D.
I'm not decided about how to tackle the Goddess. Used and worn or new and shiny. The all deciding question is how to handle the chrome parts. The plating looks to be very decent at first sight and Ebbro tried to leave the connectors to the sprue in places which are mostly hidden.

I don't have much expertise in car models, the last one was an old 1/35 Mercedes Benz for my Iraq dio, but this had no chrome parts and I worked with Bare Metal foil to get the effect.

Does one of you have some golden tips about removing chrome plating properly without destroying the plastic. I read about oven cleaner, but does that clean the hidden corners?  

Cheers Rob

IMG_6517.thumb.JPG.7485f53bc60703297a2a8a4f5cf2113b.JPG

IMG_6518.thumb.JPG.fe26172e3128ea66d1d27e56f4899f25.JPG

IMG_6519.thumb.JPG.8c53092d431d512e1d5fce46a91f1073.JPG

Soak the parts in simple green or Wesley’s Bleache White, either will cut paint and chrome, just don’t soak clear parts in it.

• Like 4