The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

33 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Been under the weather for the last week with an absolutely brutal sinus cold. So haven't really spent any time at the bench so I figured I'd best pick up a couple Tomcats. 

PXL_20221104_233050398.thumb.jpg.7ee0feff61c81fe37d5e553ac555b6ef.jpg

Definitely not the same plastic in the box. 

Nice !!

• Like 5

Another kit from Tamiya came today;

This time their BRITISH TANK DESTROYER M10 IIC ACHILLES (35366)

This was the American M10 modified to take the British 17 pounder gun.

One thing I didn't know about these was that they were powered by a General Motors

6046 which was a twin-engined powerplant made up of two Detroit Diesel 6-71

Inline 6 cylinder two-stroke engines. It was possible two run these engines independently, if needed......strange. Later versions of the M10 used the same V 8

engines as used in the later Sherman tanks. I looks like a decent kit and likely

a fun build. There's some nice cast metal texture on some of the parts, including;

the transmission cover, gun mantlet, and turret counterweights.

DSCN0843_kindlephoto-2871815.jpg

DSCN0845_kindlephoto-2925689.jpg

M4A2-6046-motor_kindlephoto-3667610.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This came today.......Tamiya's M561 U.S. 6x6 Cargo Truck Gama Goat (35330).

This was a 6 wheel drive articulated vehicle. What looks like a trailer is actually

connected by a universal type joint and was permanent part of the vehicle.

These were used from 1968 and into the '80's. Apparently, they were plagued with

maintenance issues, were noisy, and slow.....So, not a big success. Anyway, an interesting

vehicle.. And a nice kit and looks like interesting build.

DSCN0849_kindlephoto-49112162.jpg

DSCN0850_kindlephoto-49172807.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, Bill_S said:

Half a dozen 1/2 inch diameter acrylic rods. In case I ever want to do an in-flight display...

DSCN2987-1.jpg

I've got the old Revell 1/48 B-1B and always wanted to do it in-flight dropping/launching a load of cruise missiles. Those would be handy for that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some primer and paint as the LHS is having a no tax Tuesday sale for the month. Works out to around 11% off as the sales tax is 13%. 

PXL_20221108_201124282.thumb.jpg.f41b4a10033270fac87c5114a1a45753.jpg

I picked up the Mr Surfacer 500 in the aqueous form so I'll see how that works. 

On my way to the register I ended up grabbing the recently reissued Revell 1/72 Shuttle. $25 was a bit too hard to pass up on for that beast. Probably inflict it on one of my sons. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

These came Today;

From T-REX Studio,  a set of 3-D printed tracks.

Their Panzer PZ.Kpfw III/IV Tracks type 7. (TRXTR85028) in 1/35.

I'll be using these on my Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 Lang to replace the kit's tracks.

They look pretty good. Each track link is connected to another using two resin pins.

These, however, look very fragile. Some link fragments can be seen within the, as yet,

unopened bag....Not sure that bodes well for assembly. The track links themselves look

very detailed and crisply molded. We'll see how well they assemble when the time comes.

DSCN0856_kindlephoto-63283270.jpg

DSCN0857_kindlephoto-34740.jpg

DSCN0859_kindlephoto-85490.jpg

DSCN0860_kindlephoto-131761.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

These came Today;

From T-REX Studio,  a set of 3-D printed tracks.

Their Panzer PZ.Kpfw III/IV Tracks type 7. (TRXTR85028) in 1/35.

I'll be using these on my Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV/70 Lang to replace the kit's rubber tracks.

They look pretty good. Each track link is connected to another using two resin 

This is one reason for me not building any Tamiya AFV’s anymore, their ridiculous rubber band tracks. Some of the older kits had separate links and to buy AM links is expensive. Fruil are coming out at around average £30. I only buy kits with separate links, Dragon, RFM, Tristar etc….do Meng do separate links?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

This is one reason for me not building any Tamiya AFV’s anymore, their ridiculous rubber band tracks. Some of the older kits had separate links and to buy AM links is expensive. Fruil are coming out at around average £30. I only buy kits with separate links, Dragon, RFM, Tristar etc….do Meng do separate links?

Most new  tamiya releases have link & length tracks that are very nice...in fact the

rubber band tracks are pretty good these days and are completely acceptable in my

Opinion. I like Tamiya kits and will continue to buy them. There's never any issues with

Fit, the engineering is excellent,and they have great instructions. The Meng kit I built... The Char 2 had

Individual links that hardly fit the vehicle and kept coming apart....making the kit

almost unbuildable! I've considered buying Dragon kits but, I think they are way overpriced. The one kit I have of theirs (Saladin) has errors in the instructions, and lousy

painting and decal placement instructions. I purchased the tracks featured in my post

as a whim...not that I believed them necessary to build an otherwise very nice kit. Also

I prefer to buy Tamiya kits because I'd rather not buy Chinese at the moment. If I have

to.... I'll buy Takom....I enjoy their kits, their prices make sense at least. I just

can't feature paying $80.00 for a 1/35 scale kit...a small one...no. matter how

Nice the tracks are..and find myself with crappy intructions and bad fit. There

are a several Tamiya kits that have  individual track links that are workable; their Char 1bis, their MK IV, their Somua, their red army Matilda, , and all are excellent kits. Again , most have link & length tracks.

Thank

Paul

• Like 3

Some items from Amazon and elsewhere came yesterday.

First a Tamiya kit; their Citroen Traction 11CV staff car. As seen in JeroenPeters excellent

build paired with his BF 108. I found this for a good price on Amazon. It will probably

be the last kit I buy for a while untill the Tamiya A34 Comet kit is available.

Also from Amazon came a set of 200 one ounce plastic cups with lids.....these are

handy for mixing and temporarily storing paint and are disposable.... So no clean up.

I also found a set of glass eye-droppers 20 of them in straight and bent-nose configuration (10 each)....very useful. Easy to clean.. Just remove the rubber bulb and

soak in lacquer thinner or Simple green for Tamiya Acrylic paints. I got these for much

cheaper than I've been buying them from McMaster-carr.......they're not as nice, but they'll

do.

I also managed to find some some Tamiya xf-55 deck tan...two bottles. Does anyone

know why this is so hard to find?.....Out of stock everywhere. I ordered this online from

King's in Texas....their last...now out of stock there. These will probably be the last items

I'll post in this topic for some time.

DSCN0864_kindlephoto-19182793.jpg

DSCN0863_kindlephoto-19085543.jpg

DSCN0861_kindlephoto-19235361.jpg

DSCN0865_kindlephoto-19109422.jpg

• Like 8