The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Well, the Tamiya British Cruiser Tank A34 Comet (35380) I ordered from Hobby Easy

came today along with something unexpected. Hobby Easy included a 1/35 resin

figure of a young, uniformed, Queen Elizabeth II. Nice of them, I think. The kit looks good.

As you would expect from Tamiya. It has link & length tracks, a one piece plastic barrel,

two nicely molded figures and some realistic cast metal surfaces for the hull and turret.

I have some decals for a Cuban version from STAR DECALS that I might use for this kit.

I'll probably save the resin figure of the Queen for the Tamiya Austin "Tilly" kit I have....

..not sure if I can do her justice though.

DSCN0885_kindlephoto-1148969.jpg

DSCN0894_1_kindlephoto-1212541.jpg

2AA89B4B00000578-3166768-image-a-54_1437263459934_kindlephoto-104712307.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

With free shipping and a $5.00 "Loyalty reward" discount.....how could I resist?

This came from Tower Hobbies today. It's Tamiya's  Kubelwagen type 82 Africa-Corps

(35238). This version has different wheels/tires......balloon tires with what appear to

be hubcaps. Will be a fun little build, I'm sure.  At $13.00 total.....a bargain.

DSCN0895_kindlephoto-97106956.jpg

b6ad4c455e2c54302cea779835cd03e9_kindlephoto-105116778.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Something a little different. Not a Tamiya product, but should prove

to be useful. From Amazon, came a case of 2 ounce, screw- topped jars.

They are 2.13 inches wide by 2 inches tall. I purchased similar jars a while back

but they had plastic lids. These have metal lids and what looks like teflon seals.

These I find useful for mixing and storing paint. 

DSCN0898_kindlephoto-146333897.jpg

• Like 4

Today, another Tamiya kit. I really like Tower Hobbies free basic shipping! (Fedex).

I ordered this yesterday at about 9:30 in the morning......I got it today.

Anyway it's Tamiya's 2021 release of their Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf.G Sd.Kfz 161/1

Early production. (35378)  Similar to their f model, this kit has the same link & length

tracks with jigs to help make the sag in the upper run.. This kit has the longer gun and

different turret details that are on the G model. This kit includes five figures....and they

look pretty good......I may make them this time. Nice kit.

DSCN0906_kindlephoto-14546894.jpg

• Like 4

... and now to something completely different, but firs a short story. 
Two years ago, I entered a toy shop on my little island, I guess the only one in the search for kits and stuff. I found a miniature section of plastic kits there, Airfix starter kits, some obscure Chinese Jets from trumpeter, in all maybe ten kits. When I left the shop, I saw some more wooden model planes in the corner of my eye but took no further notice.

Today I reentered the shop and found the plastic model section even smaller :D. Interesting to see, that the models changed, there had been buyers :icon_eek:.

IMG_0759.thumb.JPG.d8c3f1c70a624a990969d8ce718ed099.JPG

When I inspected the wooden kits, I found two Occre ship kits and some plane kits , mainly gliders and a few RC-planes. To my further astonishment, the owner showed me some tools, glues, even an airbrush and a little stock of wood and RC-equipment. 
On top of the planes stood one large box from the modelling company Svenson. I think the company is now defunct, after some production in Belgium. My interest arose, a huge biplane, A Bristol Scout in 1/6 scale, man that's LS. I checked the box and there were lots of pre- cut balsa and plywood, aluminum cowlings, a vac formed pilot figure, steel rod struts for the wheels and wings, relatively detailed plastic hubs with rubber tyres and a lot more.
This thing is huge, the wingspan is 125 cm and it's prepared for RC. 
Somehow, I felt in love with the kit and the owner made a good price and I left the store with a huge smile on my face. I have not decided, If it will be a decorative model, or if I build the Scout to fly, lets see.

Sidenote: I have always complained not to have a LHS near me. Now I have one, yeah, with only a tiny bit of stock, but better than none :D.

IMG_0760.thumb.JPG.dbdfff09d0758972d7471cf76c1d831e.JPG

• Like 6

I've been looking off and on at upgrading my airbrush compressor. The one I currently have is a Badger with a tank. It's not bad, but painting the Millennium Falcon kit has shown that's it's underpowered. It's also not the quietest. @ScottsGT's recent purchase also helped get me looking at some more powerful options. The plan was to get one on Boxing Day. While browsing Amazon on Tuesday, they had the one I was looking at on sale for $157 CAD so $110 off. Needless to say I went for it now rather than waiting. It just arrived and was waiting for me when I got home from work. 

PXL_20221209_203626265.thumb.jpg.f598bfb4b0f2539f4e908e5075690d50.jpg

My current Badger is behind and to the right. The tank and motor are both bigger so it should work out nicely. It's also quieter which is a bonus. Not as quiet as my old Silentaire but I don't have the $1,700 to replace that one. 

PXL_20221209_204621831.thumb.jpg.30d01c8693204558dc80c831d9cf9889.jpg

The Badger will go to my son Edward who wants to do more airbrushing. So that'll make him happy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today, from Amazon came a kit I've been wanting for a while.

From FineMolds, their IJA Type 95 Scout Car Kurogane 4x4 (fm50) in 1/35 scale.

The box was a little tattered, but the contents are fine. This quirky little Japanese

WW2 4x4 has always appealed to me. Mechanically, it's an interesting beast.