The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

22 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

It will probably

be the last kit I buy for a while untill the Tamiya A34 Comet kit is available

The Comet is out in Canada. My LHS had a bunch in. $70 CAD and Great Hobbies has it for $60 CAD. 

It's a nice kit and I'll grab it soon myself. 

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The Comet is out in Canada. My LHS had a bunch in. $70 CAD and Great Hobbies has it for $60 CAD. 

It's a nice kit and I'll grab it soon myself. 

Carl

Thanks, just ordered a Comet from Hobbyeasy Hk for $31.00 U.S. and $20 shipping.

I think that's not too bad.......usually orders take about a week to get here. 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 12:14 PM, belugawhaleman said:

Some items from Amazon and elsewhere came yesterday.

First a Tamiya kit; their Citroen Traction 11CV staff car. As seen in JeroenPeters excellent

build paired with his BF 108. I found this for a good price on Amazon. It will probably

be the last kit I buy for a while untill the Tamiya A34 Comet kit is available.

Also from Amazon came a set of 200 one ounce plastic cups with lids.....these are

handy for mixing and temporarily storing paint and are disposable.... So no clean up.

I also found a set of glass eye-droppers 20 of them in straight and bent-nose configuration (10 each)....very useful. Easy to clean.. Just remove the rubber bulb and

soak in lacquer thinner or Simple green for Tamiya Acrylic paints. I got these for much

cheaper than I've been buying them from McMaster-carr.......they're not as nice, but they'll

do.

I also managed to find some some Tamiya xf-55 deck tan...two bottles. Does anyone

know why this is so hard to find?.....Out of stock everywhere. I ordered this online from

King's in Texas....their last...now out of stock there. These will probably be the last items

I'll post in this topic for some time.

DSCN0864_kindlephoto-19182793.jpg

DSCN0863_kindlephoto-19085543.jpg

DSCN0861_kindlephoto-19235361.jpg

DSCN0865_kindlephoto-19109422.jpg

I use those same one ounce cups for mixing paint.  But I got mine a few at a time while stopping at Wendy’s for lunch across the street from my old job.   Several years of lunch a couple times a week can add quite a stash!  No lids though. Might have to check out Amazon. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Like I said, ...I ordered the new Tamiya A34 Comet from Hobbyeasy in Hong Kong where

it's been available for a month now @ $31.00 USD. Anyway, for anyone interested, here's

Hobbyeasy's location on Google instant street view!

Screenshot_20221118-194814_kindlephoto-18627078.png

If you ever get the chance to go to Hong Kong, go to the Mong Kok district. Last time I was there, I visited a half dozen Hobby shops within a couple blocks of each other. I wish I had an extra suitcase or two for all the stuff I wanted. 

Carl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 12:14 PM, belugawhaleman said:

Some items from Amazon and elsewhere came yesterday.

First a Tamiya kit; their Citroen Traction 11CV staff car. As seen in JeroenPeters excellent

build paired with his BF 108. I found this for a good price on Amazon. It will probably

be the last kit I buy for a while untill the Tamiya A34 Comet kit is available.

Also from Amazon came a set of 200 one ounce plastic cups with lids.....these are

handy for mixing and temporarily storing paint and are disposable.... So no clean up.

I also found a set of glass eye-droppers 20 of them in straight and bent-nose configuration (10 each)....very useful. Easy to clean.. Just remove the rubber bulb and

soak in lacquer thinner or Simple green for Tamiya Acrylic paints. I got these for much

cheaper than I've been buying them from McMaster-carr.......they're not as nice, but they'll

do.

I also managed to find some some Tamiya xf-55 deck tan...two bottles. Does anyone

know why this is so hard to find?.....Out of stock everywhere. I ordered this online from

King's in Texas....their last...now out of stock there. These will probably be the last items

I'll post in this topic for some time.

DSCN0864_kindlephoto-19182793.jpg

DSCN0863_kindlephoto-19085543.jpg

DSCN0861_kindlephoto-19235361.jpg

DSCN0865_kindlephoto-19109422.jpg

If you want to remove Tamiya acrylics in a hurry, nothing beats good old-fashioned ammonia straight from the bottle. It even eats dried Tamiya acrylics.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

If you want to remove Tamiya acrylics in a hurry, nothing beats good old-fashioned ammonia straight from the bottle. It even eats dried Tamiya acrylics.

I drop empty Tamiya acrylic bottles into a tub with a squirt liquid Tide laundry detergent and water. After a day or two, I have clean jars ready to use.

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I drop empty Tamiya acrylic bottles into a tub with a squirt liquid Tide laundry detergent and water. After a day or two, I have clean jars ready to use.

Carl

I'm talking about minutes here, Carl. I clean my empty Tamiya bottles, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Dropped in to visit a friend from the U.S. and he brought me a gift. Something most '80s sci-fi fans should recognize:

Alien, the best sci-fi movie ever, Aliens, one of the best creature horror movies ever. I praise the time, when sci-fi got dirty.
I remember having seen Alien, fileteen years of age :icon_eek: when it came out and the shock shelled audience after the movie leaving the cinema quitely. Some staff member offered 'After Aliens' refreshing towels foiled with a dedicated Alien print. Luckily no uniform CGI in these golden years of cinema.

Nice haul Carl, but the colors :D.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1