Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice Paul, I love these quirky almost steam punk designs. I have a Takom MK. IV kit and helped me to an extra set of tracks, which are one piece links and click together. Takom claims, they are for MK II - MK V and Whippet and Tadpole. I've no idea, if the MK I had different tracks, but I liked to make life a bit easier on these boring redundant jobs.

Cheers Rob

I got a hold of two boxes of the click together tracks when Takom still sold them. Fortunately, Takom now includes them in their MK 1 kits and in their Mk IV two in one

kits. I have the Takom Mk IV in its original boxing and it came with the original multi-piece "nightmare" tracks......I tossed those...

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

I have the Takom Mk IV in its original boxing and it came with the original multi-piece "nightmare" tracks......I tossed those...

Here's my idea of nightmare tracks. PE individual link one....

216186-11104-35-pristine.jpg.5bc74b542a8ff066e4a1122b1fc39610.jpg

Found these while searching for an LVT kit. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 3

20 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Good to know. I have some kits that'll require the "silly putty method". At least...I can't

think of another way to do them, that is.

I did my one and only SEA scheme in my display case using the silly putty method many years ago. It’s the old Hobby Craft/Trumpeter F-105.  Only reason I’ve hesitated doing another was because I was shooting enamels and hated dealing with the dry time between colors.  I welcome my new lacquer overlords to start another SEA one day soon.  I’m predicting it will be my Fisher fat face or a Vietnam era Phantom. 

• Like 5

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow, that's crazy!!  My kind of crazy though, I'd do it just to challenge myself.

I've done Modelkasten tracks before but at least they were plastic. I think there was something like 8-10 parts per link on the Sherman tracks I was building. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

After doing research for one of my builds, I came across a build log of Revell's Blohm & Voss BV 222.  Really majestic looking plane, so I picked one up off eBay.  Not much aftermarket for it, but there is a trolley cart you can get for it which I'm planning to pick up.  Kit came today, and looks really nice.

IMG_6637.thumb.JPG.8e20326c3e85133501ac02163e240549.JPG

The plane must have been gigantic in person.  This kit is 1/72, but the model is huge!  Here's a question - does this count as a LSM?  Here's a picture of the fuselage half against a fuselage half of my current 1/48 Walrus.  I really wanted to find a Special Hobby Sunderland Mk. III in 1/72 scale because Eduard makes an insanely detailed PE set for it, but I'm wondering if it's just too big now that I see what I have with the BV 222.

IMG_6638.thumb.JPG.5f6134658a2d72496ea7b74c767b1720.JPG

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

After doing research for one of my builds, I came across a build log of Revell's Blohm & Voss BV 222.  Really majestic looking plane, so I picked one up off eBay.  Not much aftermarket for it, but there is a trolley cart you can get for it which I'm planning to pick up.  Kit came today, and looks really nice.

The plane must have been gigantic in person.  This kit is 1/72, but the model is huge!  Here's a question - does this count as a LSM?  Here's a picture of the fuselage half against a fuselage half of my current 1/48 Walrus.  I really wanted to find a Special Hobby Sunderland Mk. III in 1/72 scale because Eduard makes an insanely detailed PE set for it, but I'm wondering if it's just too big now that I see what I have with the BV 222.

Sure it does ! I want to see a WIP on it....harv 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow! That is cool......I'll have to look out for that one.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Apparently only 13 were ever built……….very Sunderland esp……

• Like 4

9 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Wow! That is cool......I'll have to look out for that one.

40 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Apparently only 13 were ever built……….very Sunderland esp……

If you guys are thinking about this kit, take a look at this build on Scalemates.  This was what convinced me to build this monster :)

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=10148&p=albums&album=40097&view=list

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

That flying boat is amazing!  I’ve seen that kit around, but never looked close.  I’d love to build one in its originally intended Lufthansa colors.

It sure has a low aspect ratio wing, much like the Sunderland and Sterling.

What’s amazing is that several survived the war and were all scuttled or broken up.  There were even a couple in the US, and despite the Smithsonian’s desire to have one of everything, they never picked one up for preservation.

Did I hear right that there was one in low oxygen water around Norway that allowed it to remain pretty much perfectly preserved? 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Clunkmeister said:

That flying boat is amazing!  I’ve seen that kit around, but never looked close.  I’d love to build one in its originally intended Lufthansa colors.

Unfortunately, there's not much out there for the kit.  Eduard did a set for the antennas which you can find here and there, a set for the engine (which seems incredibly scarce), and masks (which seem really scarce).  A couple of others came out with masks also, but I'm having a hard time sourcing them.  

I didn't find any AM decals for this one either.  Hence, it's probably advisable to try to find the 2014 release rather than take the chance on the ones from the early 2000s.

I think it would be fun to open the it up and scratch a little of the interior - kinda like you can on big transports like the Ju-52 and the Me 323.  This kit is huge though even at 1/72, so I'm not sure about making it into a diorama except for using the CMK towing car which would serve more as a stand since this kit doesn't include a stand for the model.  I have a couple of the Pro Modeler Ju-52s along with the Master-X pontoon and ski conversions, so I'll probably use those kits for dioramas (though, the Ju-52 at 1/48 is pretty sizable too).

• Like 6

Another quirky one for the stash.  I've been interested in the Dornier Do 24T model for quite a while, and happened upon an eBay auction for not only the kit, but also the Squadron canopies (supposedly a big improvement over the kit ones) and more importantly, the out of production Goffy resin engine detailing set.  When I looked up what other aftermarket was out there, I found that Hannants was carrying the AIMS very detailed interior and exterior sets, along with a Kora transport carriage that also includes parts to convert the model into a minesweeper.

Ended up snagging the kit off eBay for an excellent price and picked up some other AM goodies.  John's AIMS PE sets are fantastic, and the Goffy engine set looks great as well.  Not sure what to think of the Kora set though - the resin parts look good, but the instructions are horrendous.  I can probably figure out how to put the carriage together, but doing the minesweeper conversion is going to take a lot of guesswork.  I bought the kit more for the carriage than the minesweeper, so it's all good.  There's only a record of one minesweeper from what I can tell, and markings would be a guessing game since there may only be one grainy picture of it out there.  

Obviously not a LSM (it's probably 1/3 the size of the same scale BV 222 I posted earlier), but a pretty interesting subject especially with the current group build.

IMG_6697.thumb.JPG.c9164078a0d40b6106aa752f93569bb5.JPG

IMG_6698.thumb.JPG.8a16ac262cf5148d0305b2465e7ac642.JPG

• Like 10

Alan

Sounds mighty good. Sorry to read about your SD card. I'm pretty deep into photography and from the channels and vlogs I've followed for years, plus my own experiences, SD card failure isn't as rare as we think. Off brand name cards fails way more then the better known cards. A number of years ago I bought a few extra SD cards just in case I needed the extra capacity the day before we left for vacation and all I could find was a brand I never heard off. I was shooting with a Nikon D850 then and tested out both of those cards on vacation - and they both failed and were round filed on the spot. 

• Like 6