Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Goood haul Mark, shame people get to a point when they say enough is enough……….

yes i know his wife ask them to make a choise between 2 hobbys one has to go.

so he decided to stop modelling.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 5/12/2023 at 5:48 PM, Artful69 said:

If this is the newer tooled one (It looks to be), it's a great kit of a Kursk Panther ... none of the fit issues of some of the older tooled kits and plenty of accurate detail. I almost pulled the trigger on this one when gathering Kursk vehicles, but went with the Takom one, mainly because of the link and length tracks on sprue (I've never liked the Tamiya rubber band style ones) ... having said that I've seen some great builds of this OOB and they manage to get the tracks to look not half bad! ... Enjoy!

Rog :)

Hey, just looked at the marking options (3) for this kit....and you're right...

All three options are for Panthers participating in the battle of Kursk.

It's been a while since I did a tri-color German camouflage subject. Glad

to see it will be of great historical significance!

• Like 3

On 5/12/2023 at 2:57 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

I had a couple orders show up recently.  

First up are some F-14 bits in different scales. Both are for Tamiya kits though. 

PXL_20230512_195151141.thumb.jpg.326fa1b592f4a01902adfc1a9e1865df.jpg

With the seats, I finally have everything for my Final Countdown Tomcat so I'll probably get back to that shortly. 

Next up is a decal sheet for the Tamiya F-35A kit. 

PXL_20230512_194606915.thumb.jpg.69eed1839db55e0686a860fc3534f57c.jpg

It also includes masks for the aggressor scheme which is what I'll be using. With some of the other choices included, I may just have to get another kit. 

I also got a new tool that's supposed to help with cutting fine curves in tape. We'll see how that works out. 

PXL_20230512_194616494.thumb.jpg.67442d5c7c5b881db0d30e4ed4c8705b.jpg

Lastly, I had a set of 3D printed resin rims and tires but no model for them so I had to solve that problem. 

PXL_20230512_194650820.thumb.jpg.3b165a84cfa9b59267fdb95ceee9eeb4.jpg

I built that big 240 years ago, and they also made a rally version....built that

one too. It's a very cool kit, especially the rally version,with working suspension

And great engine detail. Hope you do a build WIP!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

I built that big 240 years ago, and they also made a rally version....built that

one too. It's a very cool kit, especially the rally version,with working suspension

And great engine detail. Hope you do a build WIP!

Thanks! I think it'll go nicely with the R32 GT-R that I did earlier. It's unfortunate that Hasegawa won't re-issue the 1/12  Twin Turbo 300Z that they did in the early '90s then it would be perfect to have all three. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks! I think it'll go nicely with the R32 GT-R that I did earlier. It's unfortunate that Hasegawa won't re-issue the 1/12  Twin Turbo 300Z that they did in the early '90s then it would be perfect to have all three. 

Shame...a big 300z would be cool...I've always been a fan of Nissan...Had Three.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Hey, just looked at the marking options (3) for this kit....and you're right...

All three options are for Panthers participating in the battle of Kursk.

It's been a while since I did a tri-color German camouflage subject. Glad

to see it will be of great historical significance!

Most other German vehicles follow a typical Teutonic efficiency when it comes to vehicle designations ... Except the Panther ... 

Normally starting with Ausf.A (Version or variant 'A') and then progressing B, C, D and so on ... The Panther was an oddity because of its release timeline.

While the Ausf.A was supposed to be the first production version ... development was a little slow for Hitler and Co who desperately wanted Citadel to be a thing - before it couldn't be. Thus the Ausf.A was put on hold and a process of production worked out that resulted in the Ausf.D being whipped through the design and production phases in order to have some physical units ready for Citadel. I say physically ready and not 'ready', ready - because they were far from it ... having not been given any real trial time to iron out the 'kinks' ... and kinks there were - plenty of them!

To be sure, it wasn't a complete disaster ... of those that actually got to perform beyond the opening days chaos, a few acquitted themselves well ... The high velocity 75mm was more accurate and hit harder at a longer distance than it's big brother, the 88mm equipping the Tiger ... or any comparative Soviet piece ... and in that respect contained much better optics also (not a high bar by any stretch given that the Soviets struggled to hit the side of a barn door because their optics, by comparison, were complete garbage). The Ausf.D was however, plagued with varying troubles. The main recorded complaint was gearbox failure ... although there were fuel leaks, hydraulic leaks, electrical failures, engine seizures, engine fires, weapons jamming - the list goes on ... in essence, all of the sorts of random issues usually ironed out in pre deployment testing. Two rather alarming issues raised by crews during Kursk and shortly afterward were: the lack of the bow ball-mounted MG.34 close defence weapon (apparently it was easier to manufacture a 'slit' with a covering armoured door) ... and also the shot trap created by the rounded main gun mantlet.

Not all issues were rectified by the time the Ausf.A entered service and the tank became a continual work in progress until the next consolidated production run, the Ausf.G

• Like 2

Some gear arrived during the last week here at the post office ... and more will be arriving during the two weeks I'm at work ...

IMG_9291.thumb.jpeg.3e6ac60b04c6107f87e4c245f7751b6c.jpeg

The wrapped and strapped packages are 2 LED work lamps  ... I put one together ... it has balancing issues  so I might have to find more weight for it.

IMG_9292.thumb.jpeg.883332cb329fc4c08497c037f2648f1b.jpeg

Next box was the latest arrival from Metro Hobbies who had just received a hearty batch of ZM gear ...

IMG_9293.thumb.jpeg.3b4ff1f14e4cd18a609edd19d5dd6229.jpeg

My collection of SWS kits is now up to date, with no 1/32 or 1/48 kits outstanding.

IMG_9300.thumb.jpeg.a58ad7f469e8764802678ce56635454f.jpeg

IMG_9301.thumb.jpeg.f106f31d5ef60569b365a96c9316afc4.jpeg

... As expensive as they are, I decided to get 2x Kotare 1st edition kits ... I'll definitely build one ... and either build the second one or auction it on eBay later when the prices do that thing they do for difficult to find stuff.

IMG_9299.thumb.jpeg.a119809383e89b1cea6f572402c1d19a.jpeg

I took this time out to locate the last of the BIG tanks in my line up ... and a BIG box arrived (with a handle!)

IMG_9294.thumb.jpeg.f90dc8104fa6945354363f63a5d10b32.jpeg

with the King Tiger!

IMG_9295.thumb.jpeg.17e6661abc3a792fc5c26bb11ebcb7ab.jpeg

IMG_9296.thumb.jpeg.07535c493fbc8450db12eb392f3dd13a.jpeg

As tends to be the case with the 1/16 Trumpeter stuff ... several boxes are inside the main one ... and as is customary at this point - a turret shot for the record! ... Both turret types are included in the kit.

IMG_9298.thumb.jpeg.dcaf44cbe379d27b8cdaf835ef51f2e2.jpeg

• Like 6

A couple of items today;

First, from Copper State Models, their Romfell Panzerwagen (CSM 35002)

In 1/35. I had been thinking of getting this for a awhile..... Looks like a great kit

of a unique WW I Austro-Hungarian vehicle. I have a few CSM kits now and they

are very nice ...highly recommended.

Also, I got a set of tracks for my recently purchased Panther kit.

From Tamiya, their German Panther Ausf.D Separate Track Link Set (12665).

These look pretty good.

DSCN1116_kindlephoto-47971078.jpg

DSCN1118_kindlephoto-47921254.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That Panzerwagen has a hot rod vibe to it. I  get the impression of a chopped top and the swept back tail just adds to the effect. 

I have the Romfell in my stash and thought about a steam punk conversion. Not sure, but it's a maybe.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Yesterday, I received decals for my McLaren made by the Italian company TB Decals, including tabaco ads. Interesting though is the different interpretation of the bright red color. TB Decals to the left seems to orientate on the Zero Paint red in the middle. The Fujimi decals on the right are somewhat darker. Not being an expert, but evaluating photos, the truth would have been between them with a slight bias towards Zero Paints.

Cheers Rob

P1000575.thumb.JPG.a64b58428a1b660cb3345a0147a0fc0f.JPG

• Like 9

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Yesterday, I received decals for my McLaren made by the Italian company TB Decals, including tabaco ads. Interesting though 

I remember watching that race, please do a WIP on this. Never built any cars or bikes, must remember to add to wish list……….

• Like 5

Rob, from what I recall the McLarens were done in a florescent red that when photographed or filmed would show up much darker. The decals in my Tamiya MP4/6 are florescent red as is the colour call outs for painting it. 

That being said, there are apparently a couple different shades that were used depending on the era. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Coming Today from Tower Hobbies:

From Tamiya, it's their newest release. Their  Panzer IV/70(A) (35381).

The kit looks pretty good....with link & length tracks and nice cast and rolled

metal textures. A feature of this kit are the large photo-etch mesh schurzen

panels...cool. They should give this beast a distinctive look.

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/panzer-iv70a

DSCN1121_kindlephoto-4550740.jpg

DSCN1124_kindlephoto-4509181.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Another eBay find, approximately half price ………which scheme to do……….all requests on a card to………..

IMG_7714.thumb.jpeg.519c41bdaba372dbb3ec7adea156324a.jpeg

My vote is for RCAF Tiger Meet. If you need the decals I have them.

PXL_20210826_164219463-L.jpg

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Fix pic.
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

My vote is for RCAF Tiger Meet. If you need the decals I have them.

Carl, that’s very kind of you, thank you, I’ll have a look when I start building The kit decals are designed by CrossDelta and printed by Cartograf so as stock items, pretty impressive…….

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I’m not buying anything special or exciting, but at the end of it should be decent big scale Dora. :)

It looks the part Martin when built but by gawd get some better LG the kit ones suck!:hsmack:

My stuff didn't make it still floating around out there?If it was the USPS delivering for Amazon might even be a day early but coming from SB's weellllll.:wallbash:

• Like 2