The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

21 minutes ago, harv said:

Please tell me what kind of turntable.  Looks interesting...harv

It's a Transrotor Fat Bob S with a Benz Micro ACE S-L cartridge and a Lehmann Black Cube SE pre amp, a very fine combination. Not the very highest of high end, but highly configurable and working since 15 years without any issues except for one new belt for the turntable. The weakest link might be the tone arm, which is a modified Rega one. There are better ones, but it does it's job, so the urge of exchanging it is not to present at the moment and.
It took me a very long time to discover this combination, working perfectly with my amp and speakers.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic looking turntable Rob. A neighbour had one that was around 500lbs. The weight was supposed to counteract the torque from the turntable's rotation as he explained it to me. No idea how but it looked cool nonetheless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got my order from Iconicair today. I ordered a pair of the Lancaster nose blisters. One of them is crystal clear and the other is almost as good. Really impressed with them. 

IMG_20200529_135356.thumb.jpg.68d7ee7542ba4cfc29b4f3669000627f.jpg

The other items are a Griffon Bose correction set and a Dambusters conversion set. 

IMG_20200529_135444.thumb.jpg.eb564a8120342b3a00f065bc331555be.jpg

The HK Dambusters Lanc is sold out in Canada and since I have two of the regular Lanc kits,  Graham's set made sense to me. 

Carl

• Like 6

My wife got me a new shelf. Not ideal but something for now, all my builds were trashed during the move , so now I have no excuse  not to fix them and not to finish gazillion of different half-done projects. :)  

image.jpg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Fantastic looking turntable Rob. A neighbour had one that was around 500lbs. The weight was supposed to counteract the torque from the turntable's rotation as he explained it to me. No idea how but it looked cool nonetheless.

Thanks Carl, compared to your neighbors, mine is the light version, with about 40 kilos including the slate base and when I moved from Berlin to my tiny island, I saw that as a benefit.
Turntables and listening to vinyl is a similar fascinating hobby like modelling. The amount of maintenance, adjusting and testing is tempting, but in the end you get rewarded with a great sound. Composing the components and experimenting with different cables, base materials,... , its endless like a well filled stash ;).
It always fascinated me that a tiny needle, following a microscopical canyon on the record, altering the movement into electric signals via magnetic field, amplified various times, reproduces a signal which is able to sound better, than a digital production.
And there are the records, you have to take care of, searching for the rarer ones, cleaning them, adoring the artwork on the sleeves (similar to reading a WNW manual, sometimes).
I 'am taken away and will not continue here :D, but may start something about it in the 'My other hobby' thread.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

My wife got me a new shelf.

Nice shelf and good to hear, that your wife does approve your hobby. Mine is not fond of my hobby, displaying built kits in our living area is no option and until now, I had no place and no desire to display kits, other than here on LSM, but the ready built kits took away a great deal of space, when boxed and I decided, that it will be better to have a shelf in my workshop. Last week, I got my Ikea Syvde shelf, which is not too bad, considering the usable depth of more than 40 cm.

Cheers Rob

IMG_7132.thumb.JPG.1019debe3b4f3db55b7950f9fe9b42ab.JPG

• Like 5

I suppose I’m lucky, we’ve turned a double bedroom and it’s big, into hobby room.  So I have a bench plus another big glass Ikea desk for the booth and extra layout. It also has double sofa bed and enough room for Ikea Detolf Cases. Which I need more. .......when we first moved here I was expecting to be in the garage..........

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I suppose I’m lucky, we’ve turned a double bedroom and it’s big, into hobby room.  So I have a bench plus another big glass Ikea desk for the booth and extra layout. It also has double sofa bed and enough room for Ikea Detolf Cases. Which I need more. .......when we first moved here I was expecting to be in the garage..........

I'm not complaining, I have lots of space in my workshop, which is the coolest room in summer. Actually, my wife likes me to do modelling and sometimes likes the output, but she has an intense dislike on the spendings and she doesn't like to have models in the house. Kind of funny, because she is an highly qualified Engineering consultant for various technical products from ships engines, to automotive, etc. We share a deep interest into Technologie, but with her that ends with modelling.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Speaking of records, before I retired and moved to Missouri,  I had to sell my collection. This collection was my love of vinyl.  Took me years. I had over 1500 albums from the 40's to 90's. I hated to do it....

Harv

• Like 5

This takes me back Harv...

Growing up, my best friend's older brother had a massive record collection. He was in a Garage Rock Band and wrote a column in the local Newspaper; and he had some of everything in there, including old Blues and even some C & W stuff. Every time I went over, there was something different on the turntable, pumping away downstairs in his insulated bedroom.

This was a huge contrast to home, when I wasn't allowed to operate the HiFi, and the usual fare was a more sedate Sinatra or Perry Como played at an even more sedate volume.

S

• Like 6

Today this little beauty arrived. Seems to be a decent kit, the plastic and decals are looking good, while browsing through the box. 
Beside of my panic WNW buys lately, I even ordered a Roden DR.1 yesterday, not because WNW may never produce theirs, but, because I got it for a very decent price. My interest in triplanes is not very high, but I guess it will be fun to build it.

Cheers Rob

IMG_7160.thumb.JPG.54a318a0d03431004c58e313124b0471.JPG 

• Like 6

Again, thank you for a great deal, and as I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm a happy camper :thumbsup2:.

And to those who are interested in your offerings, you can deal with Ade blindfolded and with confidence - fastest shipment I've ever received without any woes!!!

Lothar

• Like 3

• Administrators

I FINALLY placed one big order with Henri Daene for all the German stuff I can see myself doing for a long time. Then realized I forgot the 110G. 
We should be good to go for all my German kits. 
Dragon 109E

Has/Revell 109 G6 x3

Has/Revell 109 G-10,14, K  x2

PCM Fw 190 A-1/A-3 x2

Has Fw 190A-5/A-8 

Revell Fw 190F-8

Has Fw 190 D-9 x2

Dragon Bf 110 C/D

Has Ju 87 G

I think we’re good for life now   Saved a lot on shipping  

B373D6AA-CA89-4D60-B1EB-27F8D97F8D2C.jpeg

• Like 9