The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

7 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Four years ago, I sent the kit landing gear from the Z-M J7W1 Shinden to a friend in Texas. Yesterday, I got these back.

20200330-202359-1.jpg

Resin cast over metal rods, and they are beautifully done. The rod extends through the bend on the main gear, too. Not sure if they're for sale yet; I'll let anyone interested know when they are.

How are you and yours holding up in New York, Bill? I was actually planning on flying back to visit my niece at West Point this week until all this crap went down.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, harv said:

So, that's a good thing, right ?

Safety wise, yes. Distance learning at that level, not too easy. Can't really do any military stuff at home. She will adjust though. Real bummer for the firsties (senors)

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

How are you and yours holding up in New York, Bill? I was actually planning on flying back to visit my niece at West Point this week until all this crap went down.

Luckily, I'm a long way from NY City. If the border was open, it would be faster for me to drive to Detroit! We are still subject to the mandatory statewide closures: no bars or restaurants (except take out). No movies or malls, even barbers and hair salons are closed. Liquor stores are deemed essential, so they're still open. The grocery stores have been able to restock, though they're imposing limits on meat, bread, milk and toilet paper.  We seem to be adjusting to the new normal.

• Like 7

In normal times I may haven't posted this, but without mail for more than two weeks this arrived my bench. 
Some 08/15 for my Fokker D.VIII, a Sherman barrel and British pilots, some of them in a dinghy for my planned 1/48 scale Walrus dio.

Cheers Rob

IMG_6961.thumb.JPG.2bd86f9927b81410b84a550eb2e5dc99.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Glad the post finally got through. Did they swim from the mainland?

They paddled from Germany, because the Dinghy guys weren't available from other sources nearer to my tiny island. They will be saved in my little Walrus dio, including a gull.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dekenba

I have shown immense self restraint & ordered a total of no kits whatsoever.

None!

(I got one of these instead)

s-l500.jpg

9 hours ago, Dekenba said:

None!

s-l500.jpg

What is that, one of those saws that cuts with a vibrating blade?  I have one for DIY...  But it's not hobby sized.

BTW...  I'm not sure what impresses me more, your stash or your restraint...lol

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM

Just delivered by the postman.........

WNW Sopwith Pup 'Gnome' & Roden Fokker Dr.I

PuUry8ql.jpg

Probably my last WNW kit that i bought. these kit's are disappearing  like snowflakes. The Roden Dr.I was a long time wanna have, but due to planning release of a WNW Dr.I i decided to wait. For now, this is the only game in town so i bought the kit.

Guest Dekenba
3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

What is that, one of those saws that cuts with a vibrating blade?  I have one for DIY...  But it's not hobby sized.

BTW...  I'm not sure what impresses me more, your stash or your restraint...lol

It's a Proxxon linear sander . It sands in a back-and-forth style, rather than a rotary.

You attach different grades of sandpaper to it and off you go.

My restraint is because of my stash! I've just got 

1. Too many kits as it is: and 

2. Not much room left!

23 minutes ago, Dekenba said:

It's a Proxxon linear sander . It sands in a back-and-forth style, rather than a rotary.

You attach different grades of sandpaper to it and off you go.

I like!  gonna have to look it up.  Honestly...  sometimes I feel I waste so much time sanding.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 6:01 AM, Dekenba said:

None!

s-l500.jpg

Hi mate, I just looked one of these up here in Australia.   I've noticed that the finest grit for sale is 400.  That's a bit coarse for my liking as I find myself getting rid of gouges whenever I use anything more coarse than 600 grit.  Is the paper the fuzzy backed stuff?

• Like 2

Guest Dekenba
8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Hi mate, I just looked one of these up here in Australia.   I've noticed that the finest grit for sale is 400.  That's a bit coarse for my liking as I find myself getting rid of gouges whenever I use anything more coarse than 600 grit.  Is the paper the fuzzy backed stuff?

The paper is sticky backed. The 400 grit does seem very fine - if it's not fine enough, I'll just either cut & glue a finer grade sandpaper on, or use that hook & eye fuzzy stuff to attach.

I'll give it a play later and report back. My HpH Walrus needs sanding and sanding and sanding....

2 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey GazzaS

Check out my post in the tools section on the David Union 400 sander. It's smaller, has all the same attachments and is variable speed and it's only $99.00 + $15.25 shipping.

20200415_122413.jpgRon G 

I did look at those initially, but they are very hard to get hold of in the UK, and the cost is well over £100, more than twice the Proxxon's price.

If I could have grabbed one a bit closer to the Proxxon price, that was in stock, I would have.

The Proxxon also offers variable speed via the mains adaptor, and the adaptor can also be used with other Proxxon hand tools. And Proxxon have a very good reputation for longevity - those Germans know how to make power tools, as well as handle Coronavirus outbreaks.