Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

My other hobby........

ajaycad

Since yesterday, I'm a bit distracted from modeling. After a four month odyssey, my new tonearm and cartridge for my good old Transrotor Fat Bob turntable arrived.

The old setup sported a Transrotor modified Rega tonearm and an Audio Technica VM-760 moving magnet cartridge. A good combo, but I always had the feeling, it's a bit of a letdown for the Transrotor, especially the arm. 

Old setup with dust on the needle :D:

P1000547.thumb.JPG.1cf90d49da24e8655cce75aea1493454.JPG

P1000545.thumb.JPG.68066a9b051fcce0d3b6235b51cf51b0.JPG

P1000542.thumb.JPG.8cf96b433d46c09b53ab230e44cc8c6e.JPG

The new setup, which I mounted and adjusted yesterday, has a Sorane SA 1.2 tonarm and a Pasemation PP-200 moving coil cartridge, booth oozing Japanese building and engineering perfection. The combination is a dreamtime on paper, which means by compliance and low frequency resistance and the first hearing sessions showed, it's also in reality. I'm blown away by the clarity and separation of instruments. It's not like jumping into hyperspace from the good old setup, but every aspect of music reproduction is a bit better, which makes the whole hearing experience completely leveled up.

IMG_1025.thumb.JPG.8ef47d1618a1b594fa5a9e108674be4a.JPG

IMG_1026.thumb.JPG.57bea2319fee89c12abb07b374c9d04f.JPG

P1000551.thumb.JPG.40be410d3bad635e4def6406fc82877d.JPG

Some month ago, I also made an update with my phono pre-amp, substituting my good old Lehmann Black Cube with the Aurorasound Vida Prima. A quirky retro reminiscent device, which no wonder is also build by a Japanese producer. This also was a great step forward, leaving the slightly Teutonic sounding Lehmann behind in terms of musicality. Except the German build Transrotor, my entire phono setup is now Japanese equipped, and I'm no longer a searcher, but found my dream team for playing my precious vinyls.

P1000548.thumb.JPG.c0ca9e490666db53b5f08162f95c2c9e.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Since yesterday, I'm a bit distracted from modeling. After a four month odyssey, my new tonearm and cartridge for my good old Transrotor Fat Bob turntable arrived.

Officially jealous, amazing setup……

• Like 4

I would love to to see the speaker layout. Very long time ago as an electronics geek I use to have friends who were obsessing in similar fashion and was absolutely blown away by the clarity of sound that can be achieved by proper equipment and space. One of my friends had an actual room dedicated to sound, sort of like a private studio in his tiny apartment. Technological madness :)

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Officially jealous, amazing setup……

No need to be jealous, other than you have lots of spare time for seeking after the right fitting components, spending a lot of time adjusting the equipment, experimenting with about everything. It adds a new world of challenges to modelling :D. Buying is only one little part of the journey.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I would love to to see the speaker layout. Very long time ago as an electronics geek I use to have friends who were obsessing in similar fashion and was absolutely blown away by the clarity of sound that can be achieved by proper equipment and space. One of my friends had an actual room dedicated to sound, sort of like a private studio in his tiny apartment. Technological madness :)

Easily done. Martin. The Speakers are Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Grand. I own them since my Berlin days and they are a statement to musicality. The three bass cone layout guarantees a tight and fast bass of the kind I like it. Not seen on the pic is another important hearing equipment, two Eames Lounge Chairs, which keep long hearing sessions comfortable, in fact, they are like an exo-skeleton. My setup is pure stereo, no room-dang-Dolby-server stuff.
We make concessions to good sounding equipment, but the room has to be liveable at least. No egg cartons on the wall :D.

Cheers Rob

IMG_E1028.thumb.JPG.55d3ac3a4f17c2b1e9b4f542d99e2429.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/18/2023 at 11:04 PM, ScottsGT said:

Nice MP5.  I’ve got a knock off PTR 9c 

zvxDZK.jpg

I’ve also got their K model as well.  Both are SBR stamped. 

Full auto?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DocRob said:

The old setup sported a Transrotor modified Rega tonearm and an Audio Technica VM-760 moving magnet cartridge. A good combo, but I always had the feeling, it's a bit of a letdown for the Transrotor, especially the arm. 

Old setup with dust on the needle :D:

P1000547.thumb.JPG.1cf90d49da24e8655cce75aea1493454.JPG

P1000545.thumb.JPG.68066a9b051fcce0d3b6235b51cf51b0.JPG

P1000542.thumb.JPG.8cf96b433d46c09b53ab230e44cc8c6e.JPG

The new setup, which I mounted and adjusted yesterday, has a Sorane SA 1.2 tonarm and a Pasemation PP-200 moving coil cartridge, booth oozing Japanese building and engineering perfection. The combination is a dreamtime on paper, which means by compliance and low frequency resistance and the first hearing sessions showed, it's also in reality. I'm blown away by the clarity and separation of instruments. It's not like jumping into hyperspace from the good old setup, but every aspect of music reproduction is a bit better, which makes the whole hearing experience completely leveled up.

IMG_1025.thumb.JPG.8ef47d1618a1b594fa5a9e108674be4a.JPG

IMG_1026.thumb.JPG.57bea2319fee89c12abb07b374c9d04f.JPG

P1000551.thumb.JPG.40be410d3bad635e4def6406fc82877d.JPG

Some month ago, I also made an update with my phono pre-amp, substituting my good old Lehmann Black Cube with the Aurorasound Vida Prima. A quirky retro reminiscent device, which no wonder is also build by a Japanese producer. This also was a great step forward, leaving the slightly Teutonic sounding Lehmann behind in terms of musicality. Except the German build Transrotor, my entire phono setup is now Japanese equipped, and I'm no longer a searcher, but found my dream team for playing my precious vinyls.

P1000548.thumb.JPG.c0ca9e490666db53b5f08162f95c2c9e.JPG

Cheers Rob

Cool...   I'm too lazy for anything but digital music anymore.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

Easily done. Martin. The Speakers are Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Grand. I own them since my Berlin days and they are a statement to musicality. The three bass cone layout guarantees a tight and fast bass of the kind I like it. Not seen on the pic is another important hearing equipment, two Eames Lounge Chairs, which keep long hearing sessions comfortable, in fact, they are like an exo-skeleton. My setup is pure stereo, no room-dang-Dolby-server stuff.
We make concessions to good sounding equipment, but the room has to be liveable at least. No egg cartons on the wall :D.

Cheers Rob

IMG_E1028.thumb.JPG.55d3ac3a4f17c2b1e9b4f542d99e2429.JPG

Wow...   that is impressive.  Can I come to your  house and jam to King Crimson and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Wow!

Yea, anything made after 1986 cannot be owned by regular folks like me.  Gotta pay to have a special FFL and prove you need it for business or military or LE if you want post ‘86. 
So pre ‘86 is like ocean front property. Only so much made and prices climb constantly.   

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Cool...   I'm too lazy for anything but digital music anymore.

Nothing against digital sources Gary, the only thing I detest is crappy sound. Bad sampled mp3's from tiny boomboxes via bluetooth, shudder :blink:

16 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Wow...   that is impressive.  Can I come to your  house and jam to King Crimson and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer?

You have to bring the vinyl's then, only have one KC and no E, L, P, but thousands others.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

when can I move in ? :)

17 hours ago, harv said:

I'm coming with you Martin !!....harv 

16 hours ago, GazzaS said:

You should come together, would raise the amount of modelers to four on my island :D.

Cheers Rob

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been super busy and missed visiting with everyone here!  I'm looking forward to being back to building in the next few years hopefully.  In the meantime, "Burt" has been taking up my money and extra time.  I'm trying to get it ready for Oshkosh 2024!  I'm going to be putting up some nice kits for sale very soon to get some money for a new flying suit.  I hope all is well and happy flying!

Edit: I can't seem to post pictures anymore?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, harv said:

You can post pics directly to here. You don't need a host site. Great to see you here....harv 

Yea, for some reason I'm gettting a server error?  Maybe not something on my end?

• Confused 1

Problem Solved!  I guess it was too big a file.  Here is where all the free time goes these days.  "Burt" is getting all tuned up and tweaked for the long haul to Oshkosh.  And spending lots of time with my lovely yet rambunctious daughter!

clipped Burt.jpg

Clipped Burt 2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1