The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Future Nats builds..

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

So I have some big plans.  

My PBJ-1H is starting to get close to needing paint, and as soon as I’m happy with it, we start on two specific builds. As I’ll have a lot of Navy blue and light grey on hand, I think some more Navy aircraft are in store.

The Kitty Hawk OS2U Kingfisher, and then the HPH PBY-5 Catalina.  It’s gonna be a busy two years, as I want the PBY ready in plenty of time for the 2020 US Nats. Hopefully the OS2U for next year’s Nats in Chattanooga?

I got a definite promise from Ernie Gee that if I would build the kit and send him my original gear to use as masters, he would make them in bronze/brass, or whatever he uses.   That was my one sticking point on that kit, and now it appears that barrier is lifted. :)

Gonna be a fun time here on LSM.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yup, it’ll be a few pounds for sure. The noseweight alone will be plenty. I’m not sure it would be quite so bad if not for the solid resin tail feathers.

There’s been precious few builds of this kit, although a few are now being completed.

• Like 1

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, mikester said:

That's a lot of plastic and resin!

Ha! 

Yup, I told Brian that if Texas was selected for 2020, the Cat it would be.

I’m a victim of foot-in-mouth disease and a man of my word, so now I need to follow through.

I think I have a bit of a head start on the Cat, though. I’ve been slowly cleaning, scraping, and rebagging parts over the last year or so, just when I had some time to kill, plus I mocked up the externals to get an idea on size.  The main fiberglass airframe is nice and light, but the complete resin interior is heavy. Then hang the solid resin tail feathers off the tail end and I can see the need for a huge block of lead in the nose.

As for the Kingfisher, I’ve built plenty of Kitty Hawk kits, so there will be no real surprise here. The only real need is for some extra detail in the pit and the beaching gear needs busying up.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

I see Kent has done a cutaway, looks amazing........it’s on LSM

Yeah I saw that too. Kent is a true master. His weathering skills are decidedly several grades above mine, but I manage.

• Like 1

Ernie

Holy Cow, what a build plans and my money is riding on your - nothing like pressure form the start.

I followed Kent's gorgeous PBY build and the work was spectacular. Just need to get my brain in gear and I thinking your cat will be as HPH designed the kit and not a cutaway? Right with you on the gear needing to be metal as she is going to be one heavy Lady.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to make it to Nats in Chattanooga next year plus I really need to buckle down and actually build a kit or two to enter. Of course, this will alter my plans at the bench a little but nothing new about that.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Holy Cow, what a build plans and my money is riding on your - nothing like pressure form the start.

I followed Kent's gorgeous PBY build and the work was spectacular. Just need to get my brain in gear and I thinking your cat will be as HPH designed the kit and not a cutaway? Right with you on the gear needing to be metal as she is going to be one heavy Lady.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to make it to Nats in Chattanooga next year plus I really need to buckle down and actually build a kit or two to enter. Of course, this will alter my plans at the bench a little but nothing new about that.

Keep 'em comin

Peter ;)

Peter you know me way too well!  I love Kent’s build and it surely 8nspired me, but  I’m a “ready for flight” kind of builder, so it will have some open crew hatches and windows of course, but that’s it. 

I’m torn in regards to schemes. Standard USN, or an RCAF or RCN bird to be different.

I’ve had the big Cat completely mocked up, and it’s not really much bigger than my Felixstowe at all. Bulkier and taller, but not really bigger. The interior is 80% of this build. Too bad it’ll almost all be invisible when complete.  :(

• Like 1

Ernie

It's a crime to do all that interior work and then it's lost forever; a lot like your Felixstowe, just so much of all the detail work you did and it couldn't be seen when she was closed up. Those are three tough choices for the scheme and if there was a pole for us to vote; I would love to see a Midway recon cat.

I'm still grinding the gears and if I can figure out how to work Chattanooga in next year with the Chief, I'm going. Build wise, I'm narrowing down what I want to try and get done. Right now I'm planning on Tamiya's F-4J with a lot of AM but no slicing and dicing. After the Phantom, I'm going all the way down in scale to 1/72nd: The Heller L-749 Lockheed Connie, Eastern Air Lines. Not planning on going nuts as there is so much to do with the basic kit. Long way down the road before I have to make any decisions.

Peter

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ha! 

Yup, I told Brian that if Texas was selected for 2020, the Cat it would be.

Well then; in for a Penny, in for quite a few Pounds by the looks of it!

(Some nice interior shots there John)

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 hours ago, JohnB said:

Hey Ernie,

I have some photos of the interior of my B-25 strafer build that I can send if you think they might be of any help, etc. Here's one just for grins.

3-25-132_zps982db766.jpg

John, that looks awesome!  If you’d like, sure!  I’m pretty much past the interior, but I’d love to see. Mine was the -1H version so it only had one pilot seat, one set of controls, and the big radar where the copilot seat goes. Plus no top turret, aftermarket radio room, and the big ol’ gun under the floor Hoorah!

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Love to see the Cat Ernie! I have one in my stash.. But been hesitant to start it.

Hey Dave! In a couple months I’ll be all over it. I’ve been cutting out parts, but hey, I love carving resin.

I’ll have a build thread up and running soon.

• Like 1

Ern, quit stalling and get some work done. Can't wait to pics of both. And speaking of pics, the 25 interior looks great. I hope to get back to mine when I get home Peter. Ill take any pics you care to send buddy......Harv

• Like 2

I think Peter’s question about interiors and when buttoned up they completely disappear. Recently completed a Takom MK V Male WW1 tank. The sponson armaments were exquisite. Only trouble you couldn’t see a one damned millimetre of them when the hull was buttoned.

Perhaps this should be a topic in itself?

Phil

• Like 4

• Administrators

Damn! That's a long list of plans... Beware it doesn't start to feel like a proper job with deadlines :)))

I'll be happy to finish my current subject and maybe another one this year....

Looking forward to the big cat though!

• Like 3