The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Würger Party!

11 hours ago, Kais said:

Wumm, BC,
I hope I didn't upset anyone .
My comment was all tongue in cheek!

No, not at all Kais. Just mindful of the fact that I can come across as being a little obstinate sometimes, especially online where it's often easy to apply same to a post where none was intended. 

So far as other Zoukei Mura kits, their very nature whereby they include (often unnecessary) internal details means that they are more fiddly than the average offering. Although, the Ta was their second large scale kit, and their mould quality seems to have improved with each successive release.

• Like 1

Some progress, decided to use the Eagle Editions cockpit which of course requires lots of cutting, scraping, sanding to make the kit fit the tub.  I kicked around the idea of just doing some detailing to the kit cockpit, also did some dry-fits of the AIres resin offering for the D-9, and in the end, the Eagle set was just so far superior in terms of detail and scale that it's going in.  And of course, adding more rivets  :piliot:

KJ  

_20181103_123.JPG

_20181103_124.JPG

_20181103_125.JPG

_20181103_128.JPG

_20181103_129.JPG

_20181103_131.JPG

• Like 6

A good choice of the Eagle Ed cockpit...

The cockpit in the Hasagawa '190 kits from memory have the rear bulkhead too far forward in an already cramped space, and lack the armour plate and rails beside the seat. To do the kit pit justice, would mean slicing off the rear bulkhead and building backwards, a lot of work when a drop-in pit is available aftermarket.

S

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mikester said:

The EE cockpit is beautiful, I just cringe at spending more for the cockpit than I spent on the model!

We really do need a new tool Fw 190 D series in 1/32.  The Hasegawa kit is a good kit, but it has really been left behind in comparison to the new 1/32 kits.  Most kit manufacturers produce what sells, and as many yawn when a new 109, Spitfire, Mustang, etc., is released, they do sell.  I always thought Tamiya might be tempted to produce a 190D-9, but nothing yet, so just have to spend the money to buy the extra stuff for the Hasegawa kit.

KJ 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wumm said:

A good choice of the Eagle Ed cockpit...

The cockpit in the Hasagawa '190 kits from memory have the rear bulkhead too far forward in an already cramped space, and lack the armour plate and rails beside the seat. To do the kit pit justice, would mean slicing off the rear bulkhead and building backwards, a lot of work when a drop-in pit is available aftermarket.

S

Even the Aires resin tub just doesn't look right, IP seems just to far forward when compared to reference photos, kind of like the pilot has to look down a tunnel to view the IP.  The Eagle Edition set appears to have it right and does not have that tunnel effect when viewing the IP.

KJ

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

We really do need a new tool Fw 190 D series in 1/32.  The Hasegawa kit is a good kit, but it has really been left behind in comparison to the new 1/32 kits....

Zoukei-Mura have announced that they will be releasing a D-9 variant in their forthcoming Fw-190 range; just when that will happen in the sequence is an unknown, as they're yet to show any actual plastic of the first kit, only CAD and a rough 3D print of the A-3 / A-4 versions.

The Hasegawa kits were great for their time, but are somewhat basic and have a few issues. The fuselage width is a millimetre overscale at the firewall; this doesn't sound like much, but it means the cockpit width, canopy and rear deck are all innaccurate going down the spine towards the tail. This means the Hasaegawa canopy won't fit the newer Revell kit, aftermarket pits won't fit each other etc.

Revell F-8 fuselage overlayed onto the Hasegawa at the rear...

20181116_044150.thumb.jpg.f5be043eaef838aa4aa2faf7f7e4354e.jpg

The Zoukei-Mura Ta-152 canopy fits the Revell kit, and it's cockpit is the correct dimensions and includes the armour plate and seat rails that no other 1/32nd scale features. So, I'm very much looking forward to their Fw family being released.

S

• Like 4

• Members

I don't recall if Z-M's D-9 will be SWS or basic series.  If the former I'll just stick with my Hasegawa Doras just because they go together beautifully and look the part when finished.  Surprised no one else has done 1/32 D-9 considering how popular the aircraft is.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I haven't been posting much but I've been plugging along on A-4.  Just about ready for some Mr. Surfacer 1500 Black.  I had more trouble with the cowl on this one than the last one I built, with all the filling and sanding I did I decided to just go with some raised detail rather than trying to re-scribe it.  I used Archer raised panel line decals, don't ask me why because just using some stretched sprue would have probably been easier.  Also used some piano hinge decals since there was no detail on this part of the kit and there's some HGW raised rivets on the cowl as well.  I replaced the rear control surfaces with some resin bits from the Montex set, allowing me to position them outside of the neutral pose.  Still need to build an antenna mast and smooth out the elevators join but it's getting there.

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • Members

This party's getting a little slow, time for a beer run!  Finally finished up the paint,  fought a lot of battles getting to this point but I'm in the home stretch.  The resin horizontal control surfaces and ailerons really didn't work out as well as I would have liked so I reverted back to the kit parts.

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

• Like 8

Anybody mind if I join in on this one?

DSCF4443.thumb.jpg.7cecd5374472dc0e53dcbe075bc34b84.jpg

I have this ZM Ta152H-1 which I started many moons ago and became disollusioned by the fit, so I opened the box today after seeing this thread.. this is what I found..

DSCF4444.thumb.jpg.0c85c3994162082d198d83ad2a24b398.jpg

I seem to have been using plastic card to try and sort things before giving up??

DSCF4445.thumb.jpg.5cfdd73ef39812f87c12b7388b1f661a.jpg

DSCF4448.thumb.jpg.de56ad2b368289250a5a53b616d5ecaa.jpg

But I at least got the cockpit done and buttoned up..

DSCF4446.thumb.jpg.9f5d58903c1d13a56744c4cbb4fc0e9c.jpg

I do love HGW belts you know...

DSCF4447.thumb.jpg.b0a7dcb35aaba441b1c300df06194f56.jpg

Not quite sure why i've used glossy paint on the engine??

DSCF4449.thumb.jpg.12e3a3b54941b1919898778eb88341a4.jpg

Still, there she is, probably 40% finished?

Found this old pic of the engine assembly.. looks like the fit was good.. NOT!!

Engine.jpg

Is it OK if join in on the fun and get advice from all you Luftwaffe experts out there?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, NigelR32 said:

Found this old pic of the engine assembly.. looks like the fit was good.. NOT!!

Hi Nige, I found the fit of the engine was ok on mine. The biggest issues I had was to fit the engine and it's mounts into the fuselage. If I remember it right you have to add the wing section and then the engine and that doesn't work because of differently orientated attachment points. The other critical part was to get all the cowlings aligned. In the beginning I dreamt about having them removeable but that idea was skipped, because I found no satisfactory way to realize that.

In the end you will get a decent result with that ZM kit, but it is somehow overengineered and toyisch in detail in places.

Have fun with yours, I will follow.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Mine is on the list of To Do things, Smitty.

I second Rob’s take on the engine mounts. What a nightmare! They all spline in, if I remember correctly, with the mainspar, the landing gear boxes, and the cockpit floor. Plus, you have a cannon mount to deal with and a fully detailed engine.

And then, all the cowls and radiator have to line up.  The biggest issue I ran into is making perfectly sure that that front to vent right behind the radiator is perfectly inline with everything else. If you don’t get it right, that piece will have a definite downslope towards the radiator, which kills the look and lines of the aircraft.

Slow and easy is the way. And deal with those wing fillet rivets that look big enough to have been used on the Ark Royal.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...