Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

New large scale project.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

She’s not much to look at, but she’s a genuine 59 T-Bird droptop with a 352 and Cruiseomatic trans.

Full load with factory air as well. 

She’ll be some work, but nothing I haven’t done a few times before.

All the chrome needs redoing, the stainless needs polishing, the top has a hole in the canvas, and she needs a full interior. Come to think of it, she needs a full rebuild, although the body is virgin and rust free, and the powertrain is decent.

Most folks like the 55-57 baby birds, but I like the classic 50’s cruiser look of the 58-60 birds. Cars way, way ahead of their time.  This one rides and drives as new. She’s just old and needs complete cosmetics from sitting open in the Texas sun for 40 years.. 

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, aderowlands said:

I would love to see you try fit that in an average sized British car park space. 

This was considered a “compact” car here in 1959.  As far as American 1950s cars go, this is pretty small. The Rambler and Corvette ware smaller though.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

This was considered a “compact” car here in 1959.  As far as American 1950s cars go, this is pretty small. The Rambler and Corvette ware smaller though.

Oh I’ve seen some of those 50’s cars in person. Turning circle of an oil tanker. 

• Like 2

Ernie................ is she ' numbers matching'??? If so, you got a gem there buddy, ................ well even if it isn't you still have a gem........ are you going to show her, when done? I also think you need to start a WIP thread here for that one.............................. and when she is done and shining like a new diamond, you  need to get a big white hat get all dressed up in your Sunday best and go for a ride, you would look like a Chicago Pimp at a Hollywood convention................ VERY cool my friend !!  I'm envious.....

• Like 6

• Administrators
4 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Now that's a car!

Hope you don't have any problems with the top mechanism. If you do, it might just be cheaper to set the car on fire.

The good news is that in 58-59 Tbird doesn't use the same top mechanism as the retractable hardtops and the 60-66 Tbirds.

On these years, you open the deck and extend the flapper manually, then you operate the top as per any other convertible. It's all nicely counterbalanced so it works beautifully.

• Like 3