The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eek!! Modern Aircraft... what do I do???

GazzaS

HI everyone,

I haven't built anything modern in years.  And the last modern jet I built was so long ago that I was still getting a report card.  Anyway....

So now I've got my first cold war Russian fighter started and I'm not sure what kind of washes to do inside the cockpit.  I've painted the interior of the cockpit a bluish turquoise that would make a Cosmonaut wince.  What color of wash should I use to make the detail pop without it looking like I used sewer water.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

• Like 2

Yeah agree with grey...

Dull aluminium for high wear areas like the cockpit lip, darker grey for areas where the paint is worn away but not down to the base metal, and a darker turquoise mix for moderate wear as can be seen on the sill here.

IMG_20190128_201812.thumb.jpg.6dc39ad82a13cc92c6418f159f4bbda2.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

What are you building Gaz ?

Ssshhh!  Don't tell Vladimir I tell you.  Is newest Sovie...  I mean...heh....  Russian interceptor...

mig_0.jpg?itok=z0lWHz6S

Is big secret in Russia!

Gaz

• Like 4

Not too much weathering on the cockpit, please. MiG-25P/PD/PDS interceptor aircraft were generally very well maintained.

Maybe a dark grey or dark turquoise (turquoise aka toothpaste) wash in order to accentuate the recessed structures and some subtle drybrushing (turquoise + light grey or a whiff of silver) to highlight edges/raised structures. Not too much wear and tear except for the cockpit floor between seat and rudder pedals.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Not too much weathering on the cockpit, please. MiG-25P/PD/PDS interceptor aircraft were generally very well maintained.

Maybe a dark grey or dark turquoise (turquoise aka toothpaste) wash in order to accentuate the recessed structures and some subtle drybrushing (turquoise + light grey or a whiff of silver) to highlight edges/raised structures. Not too much wear and tear except for the cockpit floor between seat and rudder pedals.

amen to that

mig25_panel_02.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

ICM or Kitty Hawk kit? I’m looking forward to this, seriously.

ICM...here is the box art...

1123401-24595-12-720.jpg

The cockpit is a tiny thing...  I dunno how I'll do justice to all of those controls and switches.

Gaz

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Toothpaste?

WAT.jpg

• Like 4

I love that blue colour, if only other countries had the imagination to use something other than green or grey !  They certainly know how to paint military stuff, their ship decks are a shade of orange in colour.  I'd go with no weathering or really, really minimal

• Like 2

4 hours ago, npb748r said:

I love that blue colour, if only other countries had the imagination to use something other than green or grey !  They certainly know how to paint military stuff, their ship decks are a shade of orange in colour.  I'd go with no weathering or really, really minimal

I agree with you...  I do get a bit tired with green and gray.   If you think about it, once you can see the cockpit color...  you're already close enough to see the rest.  I suppose though, that simple color schemes are money savers in the end, and that many other colors may have other effects on the eye and mind.

Gaz

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

There is another interesting fact about this paint. It has an odour. Weird chemical, ever-present smell.

That's weird.  I wonder if it's an expoxy-resin like smell.  Hate that!