The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Great progress Ernie. 

The Merlin look to be an improvement on the ones from their Mossie kits. Any plans to leave a cowl cover open/removable? 

Carl

Thanks Carl.

Nope, all cowls, inspection panels, and stuff is closed. I’ll have the side sliding area open on the greenhouse, though. 

I’ve never been one for open panels on a model. I try to always model an aircraft ready for flight, just sitting, waiting for a crew and a Start-Cart. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
4 hours ago, coolboxx said:

A neat build and bench i love it, how will you go about the doilies.?

I’ll use silkspan. Not sure on the place settings, though. Fine china and silverware is tough to find in 1/32.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Amazing pics, Carl. Thanks!  That CF-100 has got to get back in the air.  It’s hard to believe there are no flying examples left anywhere. 

Don't forget the Voodoo behind it. Those things were loud. 

And it would be seriously cool to see a Clunk flying again. I never saw them the first time around. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I received these the other day.  The very top left illustration is the rear bench seat situated directly in front of the stabilizer spar, abeam of the rear side searc windows.  I will do some basic forms here to represent the basics that can be seen through the windows.

Helpful people. 

I got some good news today. My decals and masks should hopefully be here within a couple or three weeks.  Things are looking up!

A96EEEC3-FD0E-4F51-8C72-E2A917005EC1.jpeg

B08AF487-60A8-45C6-975C-65D859A8CA09.jpeg

• Like 3

Guest DannyVM

To be honest Ernie, not a real fan of four engined bombers, but when i see this.......i'm all ears and eyes mate.:popcorn:

I just love this Canadian color scheme which is way more interesting then the standard Bomber Command Lancaster color scheme's.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, DannyVM said:

To be honest Ernie, not a real fan of four engined bombers, but when i see this.......i'm all ears and eyes mate.:popcorn:

I just love this Canadian color scheme which is way more interesting then the standard Bomber Command Lancaster color scheme's.

Thanks Danny!  From you that’s a huge compliment! I just needed something different than the standard stuff.  And it was time for a goodwill bird, and this one’s as close as it gets.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2019 at 7:27 AM, smitty44 said:

Ernie is gonna be rubbing something for hours!

Now that's just a Marine talk :)

Looking really busy Ernie, keep them coming. Big project like this one makes me feel really inferior . Too many engines, props, windows and even more squirrels out there :)

Cheers

M.

• Like 3

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Now that's just a Marine talk :)

Looking really busy Ernie, keep them coming. Big project like this one makes me feel really inferior . Too many engines, props, windows and even more squirrels out there :)

Cheers

M.

And it was pointed out to me that postwar Lancs used a totally different style of exhaust stub. Much more oval and open, instead of the flattened style with the divider bar.

The little things keep popping up.  Did a quick check, and there doesn’t look to be anything close available on the aftermarket. P-51 is a totally different style and  Mossies used a Siamese style. Maybe two stage Mossie? Gotta check.

• Like 4

If they're similar to the ones on the CWHM Lanc, the Tamiya Spitfire might be a good option. Their kits have round and fishtail. I've pretty much only used fishtail exhausts on my builds so I should have enough to send you a complete set if they work. 

Carl

• Like 4

• Administrators

I'm looking around and exploring options for the prominent ventral radome. I actually thought it's be an easy "make", and it should be. I can just form one from plastic or a block of wood, but first I'm looking to see if there are any plastic forms that'll give the flattened dome look of the end. The barrel portion is no problem.

Of course, I don't have exact measurements of the original, nor do I have any close up pics, but I think I can "eyeball" this close enough.

I think maybe a pill bottle for the barrel, and carve a cover out of wood. It's a "one off", so fill the grain and finish it. Not perfect, as I think the original is translucent, but I don't even know that for sure.

• Like 2