The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Restarting my Blue Wingnut, on the shelf for a year.

This was my second Wingnut kit I started, i started this almost a year and a half ago on “another” forum. This was going to be a mostly OOB build using Master brass barrels for the machine guns and Aviattic Lozenge decals. It started well, bus as I always hate doing decals, the progress “stalled” when I got to the wings with their miles of decals. I am so close to finishing, I figured I would try to finish this up before Chattanooga. 

hVPbDtY.jpg

My choice of schemes will be the yellow nosed bird.

o49AdSz.jpg

• Like 3

December 26, 2017

I had just sprayed the Linen color and applied decals to the fuselage, IP, and floor. That was my first attempt at decal woodgrain instead of painting it. I finally broke out the colors and did a bunch of airbrushing this week.

l8zl5Tj.jpg

I did not fill any seams in the tanks and boxes, because of the whole fuel tank, only the two filler caps can be seen, and only the feed chutes from the ammo box can be seen with the cockpit buttoned up.

iuJaz9J.jpg

UyQuTKj.jpg

64SGwpJ.jpg

• Like 4

Dec 27, 2017

It was detail and assembly time for the cockpit.

I added control rods and rigging, the rigging was fine ez-line and I used .015 music wire for the throttle and spark advance rods.

9dw4CiH.jpg

VxS9cFe.jpg

Next was assembling with a little weathering.

FVGGWvG.jpg

sjYaGpp.jpg

SHMF3tb.jpg

bIDyYvY.jpg

08DPtG2.jpg

Finally this nightmare of tubing for the engine bearers...I never held my breath so long. At one point I broke the lower piece and had to glue tiny tubes back together.

GK4auDY.jpg

j2w54sR.jpg

• Like 7

Jan 14, 2018

I have been working away doing lots of tedious work on this little Fokker, mostly assembling and fitting panels and misc parts, closing up the fuselage, wings, etc. nothing really to take pictures of, yesterday I laid down the initial paint. I have to say that this being an early Wingnut kit, I had a lot more flash and seam lines than the Snipe I built. The fit was also more fiddly, the many panels in the cowl area don't fit perfectly, I had to do a bunch of sanding and trimming. Most of the fit issues i don't think were my own doing, but related to the options on the engine. The front 200hp air pump was not even close, I had to trim the upper cowl corners square, and the rear water valve also contacted the cowls. I went back and double checked the fit of the framing, but everything seemed to be in the right location, so I believe that just having all the separate engine support tubing pieces just led to tolerances stacking up. This kit was definitely not the perfect click fit that the other Wingnut kit I built. However, now that I am past that, I know what to look out for in future builds, and I would have built the font framework in a different order next time.

I will have to mask and paint the blue next.

Yx6uWdN.jpg

Masking the engine and cockpit was challenging, but I ended up finding a way. I left the upper cockpit cowl separate as they were clearly separate pieces on the real aircraft, so no filling was required.

cD8KUs0.jpg

I laid down many coats of my custom yellow mix, in all it took about 5-6 coats to finally turn opaque. In hindsight I probably should have primed everything in Stynylrez White first, but having never tried Tamiya yellow over gray before, I didn't know. The color is a custom mix of Tamiya gloss yellow with about 30% flat white mixed in.

Qs6oq1c.jpg

As a base for the Aviattic Lozenge decals, I spayed a 50/50 mix of Tamiya gloss white and deck tan. This is my mix for linen I used on the Snipe lower wings.

8al0tnt.jpg

• Like 5

Jan 20, 2018

I made some time to get the blue down on this littl Fokker. It ended up a little darker than I wanted, but other wise ok.

aJce501.jpg

Unfortunately I got some blue overspray on both sides of the cockpit at the bottom, I will have to touch that up.

yFdUBA3.jpg

• Like 5

Feb 23, 2018

I forced myself to start the Lozenge decals tonight. I have been avoiding these for a month now. Decals are not my friends, but I bit the bullet and figured, I have backup wingnutdecals if I screw this up.

In the end, these were not too bad, I trimmed them all up with a knife, then started dipping. I quickly learned not to use decal set, because hey won't slide with it. I'll start the bottom wing tomorrow night, and work the edges with micro sol on the top wing.

E0hA8Hg.jpg

mdGGJcM.jpg

• Like 5

June 16, 2019.

So that was where time ran out, wife got a new job opportunity in Nashville, and we started to pack, the little Fokker got packed up and shelved.

Since I was fairly close to finishing, I wanted to resurrect this little guy and get it all buttoned up, and take it to Chattanooga. Most of the painting was done, just needed to finish the lozenge decals and slap it all together. 

Also, a special thanks to Mike (serian01) for getting me the Proper Plane Axial prop for this project!

• Like 5

Your Fokker looks great, very clean built and the painting looks nice. Can't wait to see you finish her. What type of color do you use for the brass petrol tank? It has very fine grain and that's what I like in metallics.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Stunningly clean build, the cockpit and engine are works of art, yet to start my first WnW hope I can come somewhere close.....Congrats 

Thanks, but i have to give credit to Wingnut. Everything as painted as instructions show, I did zero research other than the instruction book. If you follow the book, it works. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Your Fokker looks great, very clean built and the painting looks nice. Can't wait to see you finish her. What type of color do you use for the brass petrol tank? It has very fine grain and that's what I like in metallics.

Cheers Rob

I’m having trouble remembering, but all the paints were Wingnut recommended Tamiya, the metallics were Vallejo Metal colors. I think the brass was VM gold, but i thought it looked like unpolished brass. 

• Like 4

Your Fokker looks great!  I'm glad you're able to get back to it.  I've heard quite a few stories about the Fokker's panels.  I have a Fokker from WNW... but haven't touched it yet.

I only did my first lozenge job recently.  I found it daunting before I actually dove in. 

Gaz

• Like 3

I had never even considered a WWI subject until I came here.  Nothing for or against I just never considered it.  But work such as this make me want to go out and make a bunch of WNW models.  The variation of subject and discipline is sucking me in for the kill.  Amazing work!

• Like 4

• Administrators
On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, 1to1scale said:

Dec 31, 2019.

Engine is built and painted, with weathering. I added spark leads using gray braided fishing line.

JPd6eyc.jpg

lKBPPQY.jpg

exqGMN5.jpg

OSEJscZ.jpg

DATPspl.jpg

Time travel!  Mark, you’re insanely more talented than I thought!  :rofl:

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Axeman said:

Great work. One of these days I need to try a wing nuts kit. I think doing the rigging is holding me back. Doing the antenna’s on WWII aircraft is my week spot.   Everything looks great. 

Me TOO !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I now have all but the top of the bottom wing decaled, I am actually surprised how close I was to finishing it before it got shelved, one the wings are done, it’s just final assembly. I only need to paint the the guns and tires.

AD3AECA3-A324-4209-821A-43543C5CE7BC.jpeg

5C93D2C6-F4E4-4CCA-845E-06B7F1DCA7C1.jpeg

CAE1E990-2171-4E47-9265-802BA1BD4726.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 9:20 AM, Jeff said:

Your decal work is superb........................

Thank you for the compliment, but...

No, its not. I hate decals, and the extreme amount of decals means I have quite a few crappy areas. Aviattic decals came out OK on all the top surfaces, but silvered on the bottoms, and the Wingnut decals are about as compliant as the DMV. Once again, these decals are fighting me all the way. I will never do another Lozenge decal plane again! I would do masks before another. I am finishing this, but I don't think its NATS worthy. 

• Like 1