The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/16 Takom French FT armor

harv

I really did enjoy this build. Really different build for me. Learned a lot. Never tried target's before. Weathering was a BIG learning curve for me. Learned to like Testers glue. I'm a fan. So many helped on this and I am very thankful for that. On to the pics. I'm happy with it and world record build time for me....harv

20200624_153801.jpg

20200624_153813.jpg

20200624_153827.jpg

20200624_153858.jpg

20200624_153939.jpg

20200624_153729.jpg

20200624_153744.jpg

• Like 9

Very cool looking FT-17 Harv, love the camo and the weathering. Got new tracks recently, did it ;)?
As your first tank, you chose the first real tank and I have to say, that I really like the steam punk look of these ancient vehicles. I have to pull my Meng FT out of the shelf and take a look at the tiny thing.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done. I'm working on one of these big Renaults at the moment. I'm waiting on some decals (fcmodeltrend)

To come to decide on how to finish it. I probably do a simple paint scheme at first, and then try a camouflage

Scheme on my second Renault ft (mg version). I'm not sure how to finish the tracks. I heard somewhere that

The tanks left the factory with the tracks painted gray, but I'm not sure of this. I was intrigued by hearing that

silly putty can be used for masking. I watched a couple of videos on this technique and I may give it a try. Like to hear any thoughts about this from those who have tried it.

Regards;

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul. We need to see pics of yours. I painted the tracks 80/20,dark iron and red. It was recommended by one of the great members here. The tracks aren't weathered yet. I'll get around to it later.......harv

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, harv said:

Thanks Paul. We need to see pics of yours. I painted the tracks 80/20,dark iron and red. It was recommended by one of the great members here. The tracks aren't weathered yet. I'll get around to it later.......harv

• Like 1

Thanks Harv, not much to see on mine except a lot of tan plastic, but I'll post some pics when I  finish.

I was thinking a similar process regarding the tracks. Tamiya dark iron on the bottom and metallic gray on

The track surface followed by a light rust over coat on both surfaces. Then dry brushing with silver the high points on the outside surface. I used to get a good effect using graphite powder to high light but it's be such a long time since I've tried this. Anyway, I found this such a fun build so far that it may be an entry to a return

To the modeling hobby. The only problem I had with the kit was warpage to the hull sides. Hot water and judicious bending was rewarded with very good fit. Did you have similar problems? My second ft build will

Benifit from this experience. Anyway, my next build will be a huge Trumpeter T 34/76-'43. I've already been

Offered a turned aluminum barrel by another forum member whose generosity surprised me. Thanks Mike!

Great hearing from you.

Regards;

Paul

• Like 2

The biggest prob I had was fitting the engine assemble to the bottom and then fitting the sides. I had to break it loose twice to get every it realigned.  But it worked out ok.......harv

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 4:04 AM, belugawhaleman said:

silly putty can be used for masking. I watched a couple of videos on this technique and I may give it a try. Like to hear any thoughts about this from those who have tried it.

Paul, this is the AK Camouflage Elastic Putty, just form the pattern and spray....... remove the putty, roll the putty in your hands for a couple of minutes and re-use for the next camouflage.......

4E080729-4656-47C0-A256-76926E7EBD68.thumb.jpeg.0d82f64625734560e32a46308cb9849d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 5:28 AM, Bomber_County said:

Paul, this is the AK Camouflage Elastic Putty, just form the pattern and spray....... remove the putty, roll the putty in your hands for a couple of minutes and re-use for the next camouflage.......

4E080729-4656-47C0-A256-76926E7EBD68.thumb.jpeg.0d82f64625734560e32a46308cb9849d.jpeg

Looks like a useful product. I'll check it out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Looks like a useful product. I'll check it out.

I used that stuff sometimes and its good to work with, but beware of thick rolls of Elastic Putty, because it tends to flow and alter it's shape within some minutes.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5