The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Things that make you want to yell out bad words in Church, or Show us your Bloopers.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Should be salvageable no? 

Any cats involved this time?

Oh yeah. It’s just decanted Tamiya primer, so it’ll be sanded smooth tomorrow. A non event, but put up here for comedic value. Just to show you that yes, I actually got some bench time, equally divided between a wooden ship and this SOD rescue. 

• Like 4

At least it wasn;t a whole bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin or a bit of lacquer thinner.

Once when cleaning my airbrush after spraying some Alclad on a 1/48 Hasegawa Jug, I dropped just a single drop of a thinner called Reducer 265 on the aileron.  That one drop went down more than a millimeter into the surface.  The only good thing was that I had been painting the underside.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That one drop went down more than a millimeter into the surface.

That's why I wear rubber gloves while spraying, hate to be dented by some thinner.

Cheers Rob

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Or take up knitting

Definitely not in the 'from now on it will be knitting'-league, annoying, yeah, but easily solved.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Bad words came yesterday as well, for the umpteenth time I knocked over the open bottles Micro Sol & Set...........I was just thinking at the time, must make a stand for those before I spill them...........:wallbash:

Yes, I know the feeling, and it’s inevitable.

• Like 3

I've been very fortunate.  The Jug being my only real bad break. 

My decal solutions are Mr Mark softer And Mr Mark Setter are in nice, square based bottles much like the Tamiya Extra thin  bottle.  And the only time I ever tipped the extra thin, it poured on to bare plywood.

One of my common errors is to gloss coat with Future and not put the cap on the airbrush.  But each time a blob of Future has landed on the model, it's self levelled so as to cause no issue.

I love Future.  I cant believe how many people have issues with it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My absolute best (worst) oops moment was about 20 years ago, I decanted a spray can of Tamiya blue paint into a container over the patio table, all went well until I dropped it about 12” onto the table. Yup...oops.

As some of you may know, decanted paint has tendency release all its gasses...at once. Myself, and everything within 10 feet had blue splatter of paint, however, I took most of the hit. From the waist up I looked like a smurf. 

Lesson learned: treat decanted paint like an explosive.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I was around 12 years old and was trying spray paint a model. Didn't bother to check which way the nozzle was facing when I pushed down on it. Yup, got it full in the face. Thankfully I was wearing glasses at the time so I ended up looking like a reverse raccoon. Spent I don't know how long scrubbing the paint off my glasses and then myself. I think I was a bit red and raw in the face by the time I got it all off.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I was around 12 years old and was trying spray paint a model. Didn't bother to check which way the nozzle was facing when I pushed down on it. Yup, got it full in the face. Thankfully I was wearing glasses at the time so I ended up looking like a reverse raccoon. Spent I don't know how long scrubbing the paint off my glasses and then myself. I think I was a bit red and raw in the face by the time I got it all off.  

That’s a lesson we all learn. 

Once. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 hours ago, seiran01 said:

At least it wasn't worse, Ernie. Is that the Spirit of Texas build, or September Fury?

That’s September Fury.  Spirit is still a box of parts. I need to get back to sea and get working on my Brig-Sloop Speedy. 

• Like 1

My worst moment arose out of a tiny change I made to the ammo chutes - and then "saved" - to put some tell-tale holes in the feed-chutes, which I'd seen on a wartime photograph. I'd made and painted hundreds of individual but linkable scale .303 rounds, which could be assembled and glued into position in said feed-chute. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten that was well as turning, these chutes also twisted. This would not have been a problem, but for the fact that the rounds only looked correct as belts from one side, so the twist now put the "wrong" side visible in the tell-tale windows. As the rounds were already "handed" left and right, this meant designing and making two lots of new rounds which would appear correct and also link via two completely new linking rounds, to put in out of sight, where they twisted. A hugely expensive and frankly stupid error on my part because of a "that'd look cool" moment!

It took me 10 seconds to make the 'tell-tale' holes, 4 weeks and £50 or so to put it right, as well as wasting £50 of previously made - and laboriously painted, bullets. Idjit! Pink arrow shews the offending "tell-tale" windows

rounds opened.jpg

rounds under false colour.jpg

ilafft.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...