The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

One way to deal with an all-black night fighter...

GazzaS

Can't say, that I like it, the way the chipping is done. The places with heavy chipping do not follow any logic, like being in the airstream or walked on. It has not to be totally right, but has to seem so.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

WAY overdone. :unsure:

On 12/10/2020 at 1:01 AM, TJTX said:

Yea, that one is a bit overdone for me.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:04 PM, Pardelhas said:

hum... I dont like it... It´s too much and without too much sense.. Looks like that the chipping was used to cover the all black monotony.

Except for late war Japanese planes, I would never expect to see that kind of paint wear.  And on an American plane I might expect a primer layer on some parts.  Not trimming the decals to match is a mistake. 

But there is some useful stuff there.  Like the streaking where the black paint has remained.  And I'm going to try that, but with more varied and narrow streaks.  Again...  another thing I hate to over emphasize on an all black aircraft.  Face it...  when you look at black aircraft in period photos, a lot of detail is swallowed up.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Chipping is good, when done in a way that follows reason.  Wingwalk areas seem pristine, yet just regular airframe areas are tore to pieces.

I can appreciate the effort a person puts into a build, and I'm probably the worst offender of all when it comes to failing to break up monotony of color, but I'd rather have to little modulation than too much.

• Like 4

I recall reading somewhere that the first P-61s to arrive in the pacific were shipped over and the process of striping off the coating that was used to protect them in transit had a bad effect on the paint causing it to come off rather easily, that said I have never seen any photos that looked in as bad a shape as the above model. If he wanted something heavily weathered using a photo like this might have resulted in a better rendition...

p-61-weathered.jpg.2612bc351e9b5f21889d972932c500f1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

I recall reading somewhere that the first P-61s to arrive in the pacific were shipped over and the process of striping off the coating that was used to protect them in transit had a bad effect on the paint causing it to come off rather easily, that said I have never seen any photos that looked in as bad a shape as the above model. If he wanted something heavily weathered using a photo like this might have resulted in a better rendition...

p-61-weathered.jpg.2612bc351e9b5f21889d972932c500f1.jpg

That's handy news

• Like 3