The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bourbon thread

harv

I think I've mentioned before that I used to ski and that one of the local hotels to the Glenshee ski area had an owner from Kentucky who had an amazing selection of Bourbons. Can't remember too many but some were very nice. Never did quite understand the 'rules' he used to tell us about for what the corn/maize content had to be to qualify for the different grades. They're very hard to get hold of over here other than Jack Daniels which I don't think is a 'proper' Bourbon is it?

Quite different to a lot of our whisky, especially the very iodine rich Islay malts such as Laphroaig or Bunnahabhain. As my wife says 'they smell and taste like cough medicine!'

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Ok, a Brit here..........never tried bourbon but love a good Scottish whiskey.........please discuss........:sofa:

Not a Brit but grew up with whisky so very much up my alley. 

PXL_20210121_010545384.thumb.jpg.7da86534ab7b5ffe34c5a49feba6aba1.jpg

PXL_20210121_010740015.thumb.jpg.39a97fe9cb018bb114bfbedea9627fd5.jpg

PXL_20210121_011012819.thumb.jpg.be6b0ec3c64036bf1e03dd13a336b2ab.jpg

And some from other than Scotland. 

PXL_20210121_011307402.thumb.jpg.cf0c9957a74d806399a7fd757160ce3d.jpg

Some are from visiting Scotland and my wife's relatives there. Couldn't come home empty handed after all. 

A fair number of these are from when my folks traveled all the time prior to Covid. They never knew what to bring back for me so once I suggested a bottle of Scotch from the duty free.  Nowadays, that's pretty much all they get me instead of souvenirs. Hard to complain I guess. 

5 hours ago, harv said:

Sure, but don't know a thing about them.....harv

Well Harv, you just need to get here and I  can educate you real quick on them.:D

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Not a Brit but grew up with whisky so very much up my alley. 

PXL_20210121_010545384.thumb.jpg.7da86534ab7b5ffe34c5a49feba6aba1.jpg

PXL_20210121_010740015.thumb.jpg.39a97fe9cb018bb114bfbedea9627fd5.jpg

PXL_20210121_011012819.thumb.jpg.be6b0ec3c64036bf1e03dd13a336b2ab.jpg

And some from other than Scotland. 

PXL_20210121_011307402.thumb.jpg.cf0c9957a74d806399a7fd757160ce3d.jpg

Some are from visiting Scotland and my wife's relatives there. Couldn't come home empty handed after all. 

A fair number of these are from when my folks traveled all the time prior to Covid. They never knew what to bring back for me so once I suggested a bottle of Scotch from the duty free.  Nowadays, that's pretty much all they get me instead of souvenirs. Hard to complain I guess. 

Well Harv, you just need to get here and I  can educate you real quick on them.:D

Carl

Not usually a scotch or Irish guy, but I would happily sample all of them!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had too much bourbon one night.  My USMC buddy was filling my glass...  especially when I left the room.  Memories are sketchy.  I remember stumbling back towards the squad bay quite merrily.  Then I remember the duty NCO handing me a mop handle and telling me to mop up my puke.  ...  I had ribs for dinner...

The next morning I woke up feeling strange, but not particularly bad...  then I noticed a 6" wide puddle of vomit next to my pillow on my still-made, but rumpled bunk.  We had barracks inspection that day, being Friday, so I rolled up linens and pillow and blanket and stuffed them into my wall locker.   On my way to the communal head, I realized that my mop-up job of the previous night hadn't been particularly successful.

I went to work and by 0800 felt like death hounded by a jackhammer with Mike Tyson pounding on my guts.  I begged my gunny to go to the 7-day store on base, and he let me go.  Three aspirin and half a bottle of Pepto Bismol later, I felt good enough to work the rest of the day.

It took a few months for me to learn the rest of the story...  I had been picked up off the floor, never too far from the not-separated toilet bowls (think of Gomer Pyle's toilet salute) and led back to my bunk a few times.

The next weekend I got a wiff of somebody else drinking bourbon, and it made my stomach heave.  I still don't drink the stuff.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, biggtim said:

Not usually a scotch or Irish guy, but I would happily sample all of them!!

If you're ever in Toronto, come by for a tasting.

When I worked at a wine agency years ago, we had a company party. Near the end of it the owner took out a bottle of very rare white chateauneuf du pape.  My more knowledgeable colleagues said he shouldn't open it. He then said that good wine isn't meant to be collected, it's meant to be shared amongst friends. 

So it should be with scotch or bourbon, or whatever your tipple of choice is.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Let us know what you think of it Harv. 

Yeah, would be interesting. I'm a little bit jealous, I have to admit. Most of you guys seem to have unlimited access to even the rarest spirits. On my tiny island it's hard to get even a single malt or main brand Bourbon. There is no Whisk(e)y tradition here. Luckily, it's a little bit better with Brandy, Rum and foremost Gin.

Cheers (and I mean it) Rob

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Let us know what you think of it Harv. 

X 2 :thumbsup2:

Some of the Japanese whiskies are lovely, so interested to see how this is. Never seen that one over here in the UK.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2021 at 12:23 AM, ScottsGT said:

Perfect timing to find this thread since I’m drunk posting with a full glass of Aberlour on the rocks.  

I pass this distillery every day when going to work. It's about 2 miles from my house :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AlanG said:

I pass this distillery every day when going to work. It's about 2 miles from my house :)

You stay in the right part of the world for a whisky drinker Alan. By my reckoning there must a dozen plus distilleries within a 15-20 minute drive of you then?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/24/2021 at 4:08 PM, harv said:

Ok, got a new one. I hear and read Japanese whiskies are among the best in the wold. So I picked this up at Sams Club today. We will see !....harv

20210324_173207.jpg

My father never really drank, But he did love his Japanese whiskey.  This was one of them.

let me know how you like it?  When I go to the Japanese market with Tammy I’ll take a picture of all the different brands

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1