Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya Spit IX JE-J finished

As always with Tamiya the build was very enjoyable with few snags (self inflicted usually!). I decided to depict Johnnie Johnson's Mk IX as it likely looked on D-Day. I wasn't able to find any photos that showed the whole a/c except for one with no invasion stripes. Probably taken at a much later date as the codes were a little different and the a/c looked a bit worn. After market items added were brass Master Barrel cannons of the correct type, Barracudacast main wheels and seat. I replaced the kit gunsight with one from my spares box which is of the gyro stabilized type. After it was installed and the windscreen in place I read that Johnson preferred the older type. Oh well. Paints are mostly Xtracolor but the stripes are MM. Decals are a mix of kit decals Eaglecals and others from my extensive spares/leftover stash. Thanks to Carl (BlrwestSir) for the JE-J masks! I didn't do any weathering except for some exhaust stains as I figure, as a Wing Commander, the ground crew kept the a/c in clean condition. I hope y'all like the results of my efforts. :)

5-8-21 001.jpg

5-8-21 002.jpg

5-8-21 003.jpg

5-8-21 004.jpg

5-8-21 005.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Bomber_County said:

Sublime presentation as ever, yet again I now think I want a spit………..congrats 

Thanks. Lots of nice schemes available for the Spitfire line. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bill_S said:

As usual, a very nice job, John! One of these days I'll have to pull mine off the SOD.

Thank you Bill! The RAF Interior Grey Green you sent me sure came in handy on this build!:)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Awesome work - just beautifully done. Nothing comes close to your magical touch with an air brush. :unworthy:

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter. My old Paasche airbrush still works fine! :)

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 1:23 AM, JohnB said:

I hope y'all like the results of my efforts. :)

Definitely John, you created another beauty. The Spit looks great all around. I like your clean work with the airbrush specially, not to easy with the invasion stripes and freehand camo.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Definitely John, you created another beauty. The Spit looks great all around. I like your clean work with the airbrush specially, not to easy with the invasion stripes and freehand camo.

Cheers Rob

Thank you Rob! I very much appreciate that. :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...