The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair

F4U-1A Corsair

Tamiya 1/32

Yup, breaktime from the Special Hobby Tempest Mk.II. At first, it did me in but I’ve put way too much work and sweat into her and just need a good break from the aggravation and then I’m back to finishing the kit, no matter what! My break is going to be the Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair, built OOB. No AM at all, well maybe just a change of the tires as I’m out to lunch on rubber tires. This is my second Tamiya Corsair, as I built the F4U-1 Birdcage when the kit was first released and WOW, what a kit then and still is now.

I’ve been plugging away on the Corsair for the better part of a week’s time and have made some nice, enjoyable and relaxing progress; the front office and fuselage internals are completely done and ready to be buttoned up. OMG, not a single fit issue, no issues with unclear instructions and zero frustrations. I guess the old saying is true, you get what you pay for.

Paints used so far:

MRP Light Gray Primer

Ammo by MIG Acrylic Interior Green – air brushed. I love MIG acrylic paints as they shoot beautifully and dry to with a brilliant eggshell finish. I do thin Mig paints with their own thinner.

Brush painting: Model Air and Tamiya acrylics.

Back then, Tamiya’s PE was stainless steel and does give you a fight here and there, being mighty suberin when it came to bending and gluing the seatbelts and shoulder harnesses in place, even with annealing. I did manage to have some CCA creep out from under the harness, form a nice blob on the seatback and this required a bit of fancy dancing to remove it without removing the harness.  

So far, I’ve completed the first 19 steps, used a bit of artistic license with some of the colors for the knobs and that’s it.

I’ve often heard Tamiya kits labeled as ‘Shake and Bake’ and truthfully, I just don’t get it. The kit does what it’s supposed to: parts fit, assembly without frustration, the instructions are easy to follow and no questions on part orientation. This is what we pay our hard-earned money for. We complain about other brands having all sorts of fit and accuracy issues and what was the manufacturer thinking? Then label kits such as Tamiya and ZM as shake and bake because their kits were engineered correctly. For my money, I’ll go Tamiya and ZM all the time.     

The enjoyment for me is in building and painting and not fighting a fit and correction war. Time to get off the soapbox, head off to the dentist 🤔 and then back to some serious modeling.

Next Up: the Big P&W R2800

Thanks for checking in

Peter

EfjvZK.jpg

uAvT5T.jpg

aLm9Yg.jpg

ySV8q7.jpg

b0xq0P.jpg

yCpwBu.jpg

9s9bp5.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Phil

It's amazing what can be accomplished when a kit doesn't fight you, the parts are wonderfully molded and the instructions are clear and concise. Appreciate the Title of "John B II" but I don't know I could never keep up with John's Superman pace and turn out the beautiful work he does.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 5

Peter,

It's always refreshing to look at your cockpit work when you're enjoying yourself.   I don;t have many Tamiya kits.  Those I have built have been nice experiences.  I wish their LSP range was bigger.  As cool as the Stang, Corsair, and Zero are...  they aren't aircraft that interest me much.  Their armor kits are great...   but they leave out a few details on occasion that kill a kit for me. 

• Like 5

Thanks Gaz

So far, nothing but fun and enjoyment. I often wondered why Tamiya never offered a 109 or 190 as they are the two most apparent aircraft missing from the WWII stable. I'm hoping the forth coming ZM releases are going to be up to their normal standards.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

Rob

Thanks so much for the very kind words. I've started the Big radial late last night as today it was a visit to the podiatrist and then I needed to be off my feet for the rest of the day. Not planning on doing much to the engine other then wiring her up, a light touch on the weathering and getting the colors right.

How about posting a few pics of your Corsair build - I can only guess at how she looks.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Peter, I hope everything is well with  your feet.
The Corsair build was my first earnest plane project, returning to modelling after maybe 25 years of absence from the hobby. I went all out on the AM, willing to learn a lot about resin and PE. It was also the first plane, I used an airbrush to paint. 
I used the Brassin cockpit, engine and wheels, some extra PE and sprayed all markings except the stencils. I tried to make the cowlings removable but failed after lots of extra effort, I put into.
I liked the result by the time and it ignited my hunger for more models. The pics are very bad, as I photographed analog mainly by this time and only took some snaps digitally.

Cheers Rob

C1.thumb.JPG.4bd81f90947b5812c1f9de74312177f8.JPG

C3.thumb.JPG.002598c4e207a4b1d861f775deffa590.JPG

C7.thumb.JPG.13556f51823084ed45eea902278b5e81.JPG

C10.thumb.JPG.a459985f3ef513d04de65cd474efc7f3.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Rob

WOW - absolutely brilliant. Weathering and the overall looking is incredible and is as realistic as I've ever seen. An to think, the Corsair was your first build using an air brush, AM so effectively added what a job on the Big P&W . If my Corsair comes out half as well, I'll be a very happy camper. Thanks so much for the posting the photographs.

Yesterday was quit a day at the podiatrist and I'm still sore but mending.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Peter and Shark, I took my time with the Corsair back in the Berlin days. I had lots of stress, because of work and other things, so I was searching for something to make my unrest soul anchored again. It turned out, that building the Corsair was the best medicine. I totally concentrated on all the stuff, I had to learn and that was a lot by the time. It helped me through a difficult time and ignited the hunger for more modelling and of course learning. Consequently, I left the Corsair in Berlin as a present to my oldest and best friend.

Back to your build Peter and I'm more than sure, yours will look marvelous.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3