The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

It's Winter and a Nor'Easter is heading our way

Peterpools

Yup, the joys of winter and here on Long Island we normally do not have major winter snows combined with a Nor'easter and it's coming later tonight. Our area is forecasting 12-20 inches of snow with wind guts up to 60 MPH! Looks like we'll be inside for a good few days and hoping the power stays on. Fingers crossed

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Stay warm Peter.

We're still digging out from the 34cm of snow from the beginning of last week. At least the mayor didn't call in the army like the mayor back in '97 did. The rest of the country hasn't let us live that down. 

It's been -15°C here at night, cold enough the cold water supply in our kitchen froze. It thawed out after a couple of days of having a space heater pointed at them. 

Carl

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Carl

Just have to love winter ... you guys still have it way worse then us but being on Long Island and on the coast, we're not use to all this snow.

So glad you were able to thaw out your kitchen pipes without any damage or needing a plumber.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Yup, the joys of winter and here on Long Island we normally do not have major winter snows combined with a Nor'easter and it's coming later tonight. Our area is forecasting 12-20 inches of snow with wind guts up to 60 MPH! Looks like we'll be inside for a good few days and hoping the power stays on. Fingers crossed

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I hope y'all come through okay Peter. NOT something I'd want to have to face! 🤪

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Stay warm Peter.

We're still digging out from the 34cm of snow from the beginning of last week. At least the mayor didn't call in the army like the mayor back in '97 did. The rest of the country hasn't let us live that down. 

It's been -15°C here at night, cold enough the cold water supply in our kitchen froze. It thawed out after a couple of days of having a space heater pointed at them. 

Carl

THAT'S what I call toucas freezin' weather Carl!!! 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

I hope y'all come through okay Peter. NOT something I'd want to have to face! 🤪

Thanks John - just starting to snow and it's supposed to keep snowing for a good 24 hours. Oh what fun

Keep 'em comin (not the snow)

Peter

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks John - just starting to snow and it's supposed to keep snowing for a good 24 hours. Oh what fun

Keep 'em comin (not the snow)

Peter

Better there than here Peter! LOL We'd be up the creek if we got that much snow. 🤪

• Like 5

Did I ever mention............. that, I hate winter!

I dread its coming like most people dread the possibility of a impending rat infestation.

I remember being asked; "but don't you think the snow is beautiful?"

I replied; " Is slush beautiful? ".

A week ago I slid into a fire hydrant. Now, I discovered today that the blower fan on my cars heater has stopped working. Winter is here, oh be joyful!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Did I ever mention............. that, I hate winter!

I dread its coming like most people dread the possibility of a impending rat infestation.

I remember being asked; "but don't you think the snow is beautiful?"

I replied; " Is slush beautiful? ".

A week ago I slid into a fire hydrant. Now, I discovered today that the blower fan on my cars heater has stopped working. Winter is here, oh be joyful!

Yup, I HATE winter too, 38 years of plowing winter highways... and one day I got caught working !! LOL

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXpqIga1yHE

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Stay safe Peter, over on this side of the pond, two inches of snow and we cease to function, pretty silly. Will the snow effect any of the renovations bar contractors not being able to get to you?

Phil

Right now, the contractors have finished the first phase of the renovation and aren't scheduled to come back for a few weeks so Diane and I can keep packing up everything as all the furniture needs to be moved for the floors and painting. Looks like the weather won't effect our reno schedule just slow me, as at 74 the energy only lasts so long and then it's rest time.

• Like 4

Fingers crossed for you Peter, hope the electricity (and the heat) stay on!  Here in Wisconsin, not as much snow this year as usual but PLENTY of the brutal arctic air.  Air temp a couple of days ago (without the wind chill) was -27 degrees F.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Just catching up .. the Nor'easter dropped a ton of snow (nearly two feet) in our area and we were very lucky not to loose power or have any damage. As a kid, snow was fun and looked forward to. Now in my mid 70" it's just the opposite !

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Glad to hear you got through it okay Peter. That is a lot of snow!

We've just had two storms in 48 hrs with 85+ mph winds. We lost a few roof tiles but some of our neighbours were a lot worse. One woke up to find his chimney in the passenger seat of his Merc. Ouch! It was one with the fancy glass roof as well.

The village of Edzell is about 10 miles from us and has a beautiful sandstone arch built to commemorate a visit by Queen Victoria

edzell2.jpg.ffd7bce1537257e500c90a86afedd81f.jpg

There was a lovely avenue of trees around the road running through it which is now basically obliterated as the second picture shows.

edzell.jpg.65e67911794d7492f1729525c7b91088.jpg

This is the third storm of this strength this winter when normally we'd expect one every 5-10 years or so. Not good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Just catching up .. the Nor'easter dropped a ton of snow (nearly two feet) in our area and we were very lucky not to loose power or have any damage. As a kid, snow was fun and looked forward to. Now in my mid 70" it's just the opposite !

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I'm glad you came through okay Peter and never lost power. :)

• Like 3

We had a blizzard yesterday, got a bit of snow, maybe 6 inches total but the snowfall wasn't too bad, most of the accumulation was due to blowing not falling snow. What's worse is that the temperature dropped from -4C, which is reasonable or even shall we say mild in Manitoba, to -30C in 24 hours... It's downright nasty out now...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Yes, the BBC news even had a piece covering iguanas falling out of the trees because of the cold! 

I did not witness any of those but I did happen upon a snake that was moving very slooooow. 😄

• Like 3

Glad to hear you're all right Peter. 

We're getting anywhere from 5-20 cm f snow starting this afternoon through tomorrow. The city still hasn't cleared the snow from 2 weeks ago. Half the brand new plows they bought for doing sidewalks were broken for that one. I wonder how many will work this time. 

Carl

• Sad 2