The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Meng 1/24 Ford GT40

Thanks Kia

Feel great to be back at the bench in my new hobby room (Cave and Studio).  Next update should be in a day or so as the decaling is now done and the process is so opposite how aircraft and armor are done.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 1

DECALING IS DONE

Nice to be making steady progress on the GT40 and with all the color coats finished, it was onto decaling. This is my first time working with Indycal Decals and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of the decals, accuracy and ease of use.

All that needs to be remembered is they are printed on a single piece of clear decal film and each decal needs to be cut out separately. No issues at all as I started at the top of the front clip, worked my way back towards the rear clip and centered the racing stripes as best as I could. No issues at all, just go slow, take your time and using the Micro Decal System, the decals sat down perfectly.

At the top of the roof, the decal needs to pass over the antenna flange and I found it was easier to just punch a small hole in the decal for this – simple and no fuss.

On the rear clip, the circle and number present a small challenge of needing to being applied over an air scoop and also another small lump. The circle is a two-piece affair and went down very easily, as I punched a hole in the lower edge for the small lump to poke through and the notch for the air scoop was already cut into the circle. A separate piece for the air scoop is provided and no issues getting it to sit down. I did manage to have a very small wrinkle in it but it’s so small, it passes inspection. The location for both of the holes I punched were already locate on the decal, making it that much easier.

All the side decals went on easily and with no issues at all. Next step is the clear gloss coats and then onto the wheels and tires. Glass will be last.

Thanks for checking in

Keep 'em comin

Peter

SnfU21.jpg

PzASz5.jpg

cXliO1.jpg

wYwnkm.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic job on the decals. They look great and nice to hear you didn't have too many issues with them. 

I've just tried putting some on my Valkyrie and both Mr Mark Softer and Solvaset weren't doing a thing so I went to the my weapon of last resort- Tamiya X20A. 

• Like 1

Thanks John

The GT40 has always been one of my favorite race cars from back in the day. While my first 1/24 race car build id decades, so far it's been "cuss" free and that's something.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Gus

The kit decals were just too stiff and had some issues and I'm so glad I decided to try Indycals set for the car. They laid down perfectly and respond to the Micro System with ease and no hassles.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Kai

Nothing more colorful then the decals and markings on a race car - these days, they are rolling billboards for product and advertisement but the GT40 but the Ford team cars were very clean in that respect. I just love the stripes and circle car numbers, as they seem to flow with the car.

Glad to know you have recovered from your covid virus and are feeling so much better.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

Thanks Kai

Nothing more colorful then the decals and markings on a race car - these days, they are rolling billboards for product and advertisement but the GT40 but the Ford team cars were very clean in that respect. I just love the stripes and circle car numbers, as they seem to flow with the car.

Glad to know you have recovered from your covid virus and are feeling so much better.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Thanks 1

Valkyrie

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks Carl, much appreciated

Decals went down like a dream. Holy Smokes and I've already bought four more sets for future projects, mainly Porsche 962's and a Jag XJR-9.  I thought Mr Setter and Mr Softer were as strong as they get and even though I've heard you can use X-20A as a setting agent, I don't think I would have the never to try it.  The Valkyrie's decals must have been like cardboard, any special way on using it without ruining the decals?

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, much appreciated and for the balance of the week, I'll be working on my Embraer for the GB. Then back to the GT40,  the clear coats and polishing. Fingers crossed if I can come half as close to your finishes and I'll be a very happy camper!

Keep 'em comin

Peter.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

I've heard you can use X-20A as a setting agent, I don't think I would have the never to try it.

You definitely have to be using either lacquer or enamel for your base coat if you do. The first time I tried it was on my Bandai Millennium Falcon kit. Bandai decals aren't as bad as these recent Hasegawa ones but are known for being a bit stiff too. Thin decals may dissolve if you let the X20A pool on them. A light brush coat and see what happens and definitely don't touch them. 

• Like 1