The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

LSM news 2024

Fran

21 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Sooo, are we doing 109 K group build or what ?  :)

In  other words , when Kotare released their Mk1 I had zero interest. Then Willian coerced me to build one ( thank you) and I was ecstatic , absolutely joyful and pleasant experience. 

• Whatever Kotare will come up with, will be most likely a different level.  Sorry Tamiya
  • even if it was P-51 B/C, Hellcat, Mig-21 or Bristol Bulldog, people would bitch and whine about the injustice of this word anyway, don't be one of them. 
  • Yes Kurfürst choice played my string for a multiple subjective reasons . The argument that 109 was kitted to oblivion and the market is saturated is weak and that will be proven at the end of the year when Kotare starts collecting the sales revenue. 
  • To further elaborate abundance of 109 on the market we have to look deeper and comprehend what is actually available. Year 2024 and we have only 3 noteworthy 1/32nd scale kits .  Naturally ZM kit, that is gorgeous , but presents certain challenges. Dragon's Emil, overall nice and enjoyable kit, and lastly the updated hasegawa F and early G, which is highly buildable, but outdated by nowadays standards. In terms of K-version there is the old Hasegawa, that suffers from a major shape issues and takes some serious work to look like the intricate structure that the real 109K airframe really is.

There you have it, We are lucky to live in times when we have a number of fantastic kits being released on almost monthly bases. All I can say is , Thank you Kotare, Lukagraph, Eduard, ICM and the list goes on.

To be fair, you've got very valid points here,  Martin (although I suspect you forgot some Trumpeter kits in your list, I wonder why 🤣 ?).

But, to me, the news is still boring and disapointing.

This said, as I undertand the man backing the capital of Kotare is an ex-dentist - I can't remember where I read this -, I suppose he wants a retunr on investment on what is still a passion endeavour. Going the safe way for sales is logical, even if, as a modeller, I would wish a more adventurous choice - but I have never invested as much as he has in a modelling industry project ...

Hubert

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

I have the opinion they have zero plans to kit anything from the US, which is their perogative,  just dissapointing.

Smitty

I sure hope not but there are still a lot of more temping subjects then a 109.

• Like 4

What I should have said is that its my opinion they wont do anything other than British or German stuff. Other than the Salmson that's all there have been going back to WNW. There was much discussion back then of why they wouldn't do a Spad or a Nieuport, etc and I think at one point many agreed the focus was British and German.

• Like 2

Firstly and foremost. We are making a big mistake by comparing Kotare to WNW.  WNW is dead for a reason and I truly hope that the Kotare team has learned from that example.

Moreover, Carl summed it up in the best possible way, they have to make money. I would love to see Lightning or Hellcat or Panther or even Voodoo, but how well will it sell ? We are entering the field of financial strategizing that might disregard our immediate needs.

And again, disregarding what they are going to produce in the near future , it will be a highly researched and buildable kit. That's their benchmark and the biggest seller.

• Like 4

I seriously do wish Kotare the best, and am super pumped to see them putting out stuff of this quality. I have not bought one of the Spits yet, but I plan to, and will look forward to whatever else they are planning, even though I'm not really in the market for another late 109. I have two in my meager stash already. I also agree that they will probably not do any American stuff, but I do think that a P-38 (of any ilk) or early Mustang of this quality would be like printing money.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Firstly and foremost. We are making a big mistake by comparing Kotare to WNW.  WNW is dead for a reason and I truly hope that the Kotare team has learned from that example.

Moreover, Carl summed it up in the best possible way, they have to make money. I would love to see Lightning or Hellcat or Panther or even Voodoo, but how well will it sell ? We are entering the field of financial strategizing that might disregard our immediate needs.

And again, disregarding what they are going to produce in the near future , it will be a highly researched and buildable kit. That's their benchmark and the biggest seller.

This is a good point .

WNW were innovative because they had Jacksons money behind them , a vanity project you'd call it in publishing . But the models sold, and sold well , and now command high premium so people will pay silly money to build a Felixstowe in all it's glory . 

Equally plenty of companies got off the ground doing subject others left alone , Bronco's endless variants of early British armour (who knew that would sell)  , ICMs odd aircraft and trucks ...even Eduard ventured into unknown territory (at the time) with all the 1/48 biplanes. 

Odd / not done  sells , look at all the folk lining up to build Gannets and Buccaneers - at £50 a pop Airfix are cashing in , and Revell whose 1/32 Hurricane is a beauty by all accounts ..£30 , sadly be in the bargain box by summer . 

So Kotare , maybe consider stuff you can do superbly , which is long overdue , and clean up . Starters for ten ...a decent Lysander , anything FAA , Spey Phantom , a Beaufighter ....and thats just British stuff . Don't do another flipping FW190 ...do a 189 ....B&V 141 ..Heinkel 115 ...go silly !

There's a whole forum dedicated to grown men playing "daddy I want a new pony" so no wish to bring that crap here , but Kotare could break the mould and clean up , they've got the pedigree for it . Or they could just churn out all the old favourites and hope people will pay the premium , which to be fair seems to have been Tamiya's 1/32 strategy , but didn't lead to a variety of interesting subjects. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Absolutely elegant 

Again ............a subject left ignored for years ...I suspect Airfix will clear up on this one as the only 1/48 released for 60 years.I bought one and I'm not even that invested in the subject , just want to build something new :) 

• Like 5