The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Fun night last night…

• Administrators

Yesterday was hot and humid, but generally decent.  Until about 2100 when a single supercell formed west of us. 
Sirens going constantly, Joy, our nieces, and myself got into our storm cellar.  But this killer storm dropped two funnels, one right towards us, and one about a half mile south.  The southerly one chewed up several towns over 60 miles, the one coming at us had been on the ground 40 miles, then lifted about 3 miles before us, passed overhead, and set back down a mile after us.  I’m stunned. 

Earlier yesterday I had a tingly feeling. I took the old cars to my shop 40 miles southwest, and put the O/100 in the gun safe…. A couple thousand pounds of steel bolted to the floor.

All wasn’t good though.  Our Church building took a glancing blow and it tore off the front of the building. 
We have lots of work head of us.  

IMG_2875.jpeg

IMG_2876.jpeg

IMG_5687.jpeg

IMG_5686.jpeg

IMG_2880.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

IMG_2882.jpeg

IMG_2888.jpeg

IMG_2892.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg

IMG_2890.jpeg

IMG_2887.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0360.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

• Sad 10

• Administrators

Funny thing. We got baseball sized hail, and my neighbor’s car looks like a golf ball, but my old diesel 3/4 ton Ford work truck, tow vehicle, and drive around truck all look like new.  It’s kind of unnerving.
Ford sure knows how to build TOUGH trucks. 

IMG_2493.jpeg

IMG_2700.jpeg

IMG_2720.jpeg

• Like 6

• Administrators

Now look at this.

A regular wood fence with metal posts.  Not a thing wrong with the fence, except it looks like it was pushed by a giant, which, of course, it was. 

IMG_0349.png

IMG_0350.png

IMG_0351.png

IMG_0352.png

• Like 7

Wow Ernie, so glad to hear you and your loved ones are ok.   Amazing how tornados pick and choose what gets destroyed.  Old friends daughter was telling me Friday night about a tornado the went over and partially through her house in NC a few years back.  
Completely knocked in the front door, frame and all, windows too. But that was it with the house. 
4 plastic lawn chairs in a circle in the back yard. Two completely shattered into pieces.  One up in a tree in the neighbors yard and the fourth still sitting where it was before the storm.  

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Wow Ernie, so glad to hear you and your loved ones are ok.   Amazing how tornados pick and choose what gets destroyed.  Old friends daughter was telling me Friday night about a tornado the went over and partially through her house in NC a few years back.  
Completely knocked in the front door, frame and all, windows too. But that was it with the house. 
4 plastic lawn chairs in a circle in the back yard. Two completely shattered into pieces.  One up in a tree in the neighbors yard and the fourth still sitting where it was before the storm.  

There is an equipment barn just down from us. Steel building.  It literally exploded from inner overpressure.  The funnel passed right over it and the instant low pressure popped it like a balloon. Crazy stuff. 

• Like 4

This is one scary looking storm😱. I am glad that you are ok. 

Everything is bigger in Texas🤠...also storms. Luckily Finland does not have tornados.

Those Ford trucks are TOUGH 👍.

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Spitfire said:

Scary stuff, luckily I live in boring England where the norm is heavy rain.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes but you can expect heavy rain at anytime.  Much like our storms.  We don’t get the English Fog, but we do get summer temperatures of about 1800 degrees. 😁

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yes but you can expect heavy rain at anytime.  Much like our storms.  We don’t get the English Fog, but we do get summer temperatures of about 1800 degrees. 😁

And that humidity.  Like 99.9999%. 

I know, it’s an old joke about “but it’s a dry heat”.   But my first visit to Las Vegas in the summer let me experience this dry heat thing.  Yea, much more tolerable than getting soaking wet with your clothes stuck to you and a bad case of swampass.  
I’ll take the dry heat any day over the southern swampass season.  

• Like 3

Had tornado warnings and heavy thunderstorm warnings here in lake

county Illinois last night, but when the storms reached Beach Park, really it was 

nothing. Relieved.... I've never experienced anything like you just

went through. Glad you're safe!

• Like 2

Wow truly Texas weather .

Never been to the US , but fascinated by so many of the States .....wife lived there in the 90's , we reckon a grand 90 day visa tour when we retire . 

• Like 3

Glad to hear you all came through unscathed Ernie although some of that damage is just frightening.

As Dennis says it makes you kind of glad for our 'meh' weather here in the UK - no extremes just beige.

• Like 1

Yikes! That's close. I'm with Gus - I'll take our mild inland pacific northwest weather. The worst we ever get is the occasional volcano erupting, but that hasn't happened for over 40 years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Glad you're safe Ernie, all the material stuff can be fixed, is the lives that can't be mended.

Closest I ever was to a big tornado (was declared F4/5) was when it struck in Manitoba, it ran from Lake Winnipeg to the Ontario border just north of Lac Du Bonnet. I had to fly MB hydro the day after, and there were lattice mast towers twisted into the ground like busted beercans... round bales moved over several fields still intact, and a trailer moved from one side of the airfield to the other with almost zero damage to the building... crazy.

Tornadoes are scary!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...