The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

On 7/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, DocRob said:

Today my Proxxon mini mill arrived and it is MINI, I dare say it's a cute little thingy. You have only to mount the table with four screws and you are ready to go, if you purchased the milling cutters, which are not included. I did that with the help of a engineers square, because I don't own a dial test indicator.
The first look and feel is promising, the clearance seems ok.
Now I have to wait for my dividing apparatus and my mini vice to arrive and then I will continue with the Duchess of Kingstons masts, which will be milled and turned.

As an immediate action, I cut a 3 cm thick wood panel with 500 x 500 mm size and added some rubber feet and screwed the mill and the woodworking lathe onto it.

Cheers Rob

IMG_E0207.thumb.JPG.d66e2365128aabc170c0e6cc6b9a29a4.JPG

IMG_E0208.thumb.JPG.a3732a7c2c298f73552323bda998a0ac.JPG

Very nice, Rob! Does the mill use collets, or just a chuck? You'll definitely need an indicator when you mount the vise; you can pick them up fairly cheap. I just saw one on evilbay for under $15 USD.

P.S. Nothing new for me today. Tomorrow, however, will be a different story.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Very nice, Rob! Does the mill use collets, or just a chuck? You'll definitely need an indicator when you mount the vise; you can pick them up fairly cheap. I just saw one on evilbay for under $15 USD.

P.S. Nothing new for me today. Tomorrow, however, will be a different story.

Yes Bill, the mill uses collets from diameter 1 mm up to 3,2 mm, so you need a few passes for larger areas with the biggest cutting tool having a diameter of 3 mm. It will work fine for the square areas of my wooden masts, combined with the dividing head, i received today along with a small chuck.
I will show these later due to an ongoing renovation of my house.
I will buy a small indicator along with a small precise angle, to help align everything right and to know, how precise the machine works.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 6

This finally came today.

From Tamiya, its their 15 cm Schwere Panzerhaubitze 18/1 Auf Fahgestell 

Panzerkampfwagen III /IV (SF) (SD.KFZ.165) or more simply stated, Hummel.

I previously got the metal barrel Tamiya sells for this kit. The kit looks great with

Link & length tracks, some metal bits including screws, three figures, and even a screw driver.

IMG_20220705_130033_burst_01_kindlephoto-27402861.jpg

• Like 8

On 6/29/2022 at 12:29 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Picked up another Tamiya Spitfire IX.  It was hard to pass up for $100 CAD. They're close to double that these days. Now to figure out markings for it. Maybe a NMF one? Would certainly be different. 

Carl

Recon version? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vandy1 VX-4 said:

Recon version? 

I did the FR IX in pink a while back plus an PR XI. 

IMG_20160312_115631-600x450.jpg

IMG_20200713_153912-600x450.jpg

There's another version of the FR IX where the camera port has a teardrop shaped fairing around it. This one was flown mostly by RCAF squadrons so that could be another possibility. 

• Like 8

This came today:

A next-day delivery from Tower Hobbies, Tamiya's Panzerjager  "Jagdtiger" Sd.Kfz.186

Fruhe Production. (35295) in 1/35. This model features both link & length and vinyl tracks. Either choice looking pretty good. There's also some photo-etch, two "torso"

figures and marking options for five vehicles in three-color camouflage all looking

about the same to me. The long gun barrel is molded in halves.....so I ordered a replacement from Aber   (ABM 35L84) which should arrive next week. This is another nice kit from

Tamiya and I'm sure it will have perfect fit and engineering. A while back i bought an

Iwata hi-line Hp-Bh airbrush with a .2mm needle and I've had great results with it.....and I'm

eager to try it out on the German camouflage. 

IMG_20220707_132428_kindlephoto-93724102.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

This came today:

A next-day delivery from Tower Hobbies, Tamiya's Panzerjager  "Jagdtiger" Sd.Kfz.186

Fruhe Production. (35295) in 1/35. This model features both link & length and vinyl tracks. Either choice looking pretty good. There's also some photo-etch, two "torso"

figures and marking options for five vehicles in three-color 

Paul, your stash must huge now, huge respect…….

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Paul, your stash must huge now, huge respect…….

Yes,........I think I must really need an intervention or....therapy. 

Next week I'll buy the Opel  blitz from Tamiya having found the Archer transfers sheet

for it .....then call it quits for awhile. There is also a Tamiya Marder based on the 38(t)

chassis I'd like to build. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mail call!

After a very long wait, these finally arrived.

DSCN2816-1.jpg

I don't know how this ended up on my front step today. I must have been sleep-buying.

DSCN2817-1.jpg

I wish I could build half as fast as I buy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I got this today from a family member as an unexpected gift ! 

A suprise, because she doesn't always speak favorably of the Hobby!

Anyway, we went together

to a hobby shop in the town where I attended high school.

I haven't been there in years.....thought the owner was dead, honestly. I recently heard

It was still open and is being run by his son. Anyway I wasn't intending to purchase

anything but she decided to buy me the kit.

Well, the kit in question is Tamiya's Russian Heavy self-propelled Gun JSU-152 (35303).

I've been looking for this kit for awhile, it's backordered at Tower and other sites 

(it is now back in stock at Sprue Brothers). Anyway, I'm looking forward to buildIng this

big, purposefully ugly-looking, powerful, and intimidating vehicle. It has both link & length

and "rubber band" tracks, clear parts, and photo-etch. The tracks can be built-up  using

A provided jig(s) to reproduce the sag between the return rollers.....clever. Yes, it's another addition to my un-built stash..but , this time, I'm not responsible!

IMG_20220708_174032_kindlephoto-175396307.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Yes, it's another addition to my un-built stash..but , this time, I'm not responsible!

Great quote!  One for modellers everywhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I got this today from a family member as an unexpected gift ! 

A suprise, because she doesn't always speak favorably of the Hobby!

Anyway, we went together

to a hobby shop in the town where I attended high school.

I haven't been there in years.....thought the owner was dead, honestly. I recently heard

It was still open and is being run by his son. Anyway I wasn't intending to purchase

anything but she decided to buy me the kit.

Well, the kit in question is Tamiya's Russian Heavy self-propelled Gun JSU-152 (35303).

I've been looking for this kit for awhile, it's backordered at Tower and other sites 

(it is now back in stock at Sprue Brothers). Anyway, I'm looking forward to buildIng this

big, purposefully ugly-looking, powerful, and intimidating vehicle. It has both link & length

and "rubber band" tracks, clear parts, and photo-etch. The tracks can be built-up  using

A provided jig(s) to reproduce the sag between the return rollers.....clever. Yes, it's another addition to my un-built stash..but , this time, I'm not responsible!

IMG_20220708_174032_kindlephoto-175396307.jpg

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Great quote!  One for modellers everywhere.

I am always, and have been for some time, irresponsible when I am adding to my stash … 😂

Hubert

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 7/9/2022 at 12:52 AM, HubertB said:

I am always, and have been for some time, irresponsible when I am adding to my stash … 😂

Hubert

Me too! That's why I have robots, dinosaurs, sci-fi vehicles, mascots and ships in my stash instead of just proper serious subjects.  Like Spitfires and Corsairs. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Me too! That's why I have robots, dinosaurs, sci-fi vehicles, mascots and ships in my stash instead of just proper serious subjects.  Like Spitfires and Corsairs. :D

I remember you being followed by a submarine kit somehow Carl, mysteries, mysteries, ... :D

• Haha 4

This came today for my Tamiya Jagdtiger:

From ABER, it's their 35L-84 German 128mm PaK 44 L/55 gun barrel for Sd. Kfz.

186 Jagdtiger.  The kit barrel is molded in two pieces and the thought of filling and

sanding these seams didn't appeal to me. Aber machines the barrel in two parts

that screw together and the parts fit together perfectly. Good quality stuff from ABER.

IMG_20220711_171752_kindlephoto-66269131.jpg

s-l300_kindlephoto-67085748.jpg

• Like 7

Got this recently:

From Archer fine transfers ,their AR35291 Open Blitz instruments, placards and details.

For the Tamiya kit. Not sure if Archer still makes this, as I couldn't find it on their

website. Mine was found on EBAY.  The set includes some dry transfers for the instruments, that you can apply to the included wet transfer paper. Then, you can

use them like ordinary decals....interesting. Also included are printed resin details

on a decal carrier film. These include the "Opel Blitz" badge for the radiator grill, markings

for gas drums, jack, and some raised lettering on the rear axle. A neat set. As you may

know, Tamiya, in their most recent tooling (2008) of this vehicle, does not include the very prominent radiator badge in their kit. Providing instead a blank badge. In fact, Tamiya does not even refer to the vehicle as an Opel Blitz on the box.... It's a German 3 ton truck to them. Probably a licensing thing.......legal B.S. or something.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll come in useful when building the kit......A kit that I don't have yet.

IMG_20220712_150231_kindlephoto-21956981.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

As you may

know, Tamiya, in their most recent tooling (2008) of this vehicle, does not include the very prominent radiator badge in their kit. Providing instead a blank badge. In fact, Tamiya does not even refer to the vehicle as an Opel Blitz on the box.... It's a German 3 ton truck to them. Probably a licensing thing.......legal B.S. or something.

I have the boxing of the mysterious German 3 ton truck in stash, which comes with an Aber PE set and clear acetate for the windows and dashboard. The Aber set includes the Opel Blitz logo embossed.

Cheers Rob

IMG_0241.thumb.JPG.2e48e11b46128efd341a58db9be01e20.JPG

IMG_0240.thumb.JPG.32370a71f7b0e9e4c0cb8596279595d5.JPG

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I have the boxing of the mysterious German 3 ton truck in stash, which comes with an Aber PE set and clear acetate for the windows and dashboard. The Aber set includes the Opel Blitz logo embossed.

Cheers Rob

IMG_0241.thumb.JPG.2e48e11b46128efd341a58db9be01e20.JPG

IMG_0240.thumb.JPG.32370a71f7b0e9e4c0cb8596279595d5.JPG

Didn't know about that version. The kit I ordered yesterday doesn't have the photo-etch

but does have the window masks and styrene windows. It's kit 1/35 #35291
I know Aber sells a photo-etch set separately, I looked it over.It's very complex, including more details than I thought possible! I think you better

hang on to your Opel kit its probably a collectors item. I once saw a boxing

of Tamiya's t55 that included an Aber barrel and Friulmodel  tracks, but I haven't seen this anywhere for awhile... It was on Hobbylinc  Japan, I think.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

Didn't know about that version. The kit I ordered yesterday doesn't have the photo-etch

but does have the window masks and styrene windows. It's kit 1/35 #35291
I know Aber sells a photo-etch set separately, I looked it over.It's very complex, including more details than I thought possible! I think you better

hang on to your Opel kit its probably a collectors item. I once saw a boxing

of Tamiya's t55 that included an Aber barrel and Friulmodel  tracks, but I haven't seen this anywhere for awhile... It was on Hobbylinc  Japan, I think.

There were some boxings with additional PE and goodies available from Tamiya. Some where indeed limited editions and some were made as an addition to address some problem areas with older kits.
My stash tells otherwise, but I'm not a hoarder. Things I buy are for use, being it rare kits, rare vinyl records or whatever. If it achieves a high value, it's good to know for me, but of no real importance, as I don't sell stuff.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

Just arrived yesterday, my Tamiya 1/48 F-16's and a Quinta Cockpit Detail set for each. These days, I buy the Quinta sets and any other AM I need for a build with the kit, so I do not have to face the dreaded: Out of Stock availability note and go searching or even worse, pay a small ransom amount on ebay which is always my last resort.  Decals and markings are still undecided.

xFGbPW.jpg

iC8OP3.jpg

RC6jJO.jpg

• Like 7