The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

13 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

First waffle attempt. I used silicon oil as a release agent and created sea of bubbles. 

432EB0FF-2163-4C98-9EFB-52D8108AA019.jpeg

E1EB03DC-6B43-4717-B3B2-40E203032991.jpeg

9880C8E3-6410-42ED-8942-C894F1BA159F.jpeg

AFA1F7DD-E2A5-4A80-8F55-C893408588C9.jpeg

I guess you are using PETG, Martin.

it’s  extremely sensitive to temperatures, and the bubbles you are seeing is water trapped in the PETG sheet, that turns into vapour with the temperature rise. PETG loves water, like plaster or a paper towel, btw.

There are two solutions to that, that work best together :

1) pre-dry the PETG sheets in an oven, like 2 hours in the oven set at about 60° C

2) decrease the sheet temperature when molding it. It’ s a two-step process. 1) As you cannot modulate the heat coming from the overhead resistance, on these machines, increase the distance between the sheet and the resistance. 2) Spend just the right amount of time heating the sheet, and it’s literally a one-sor-two-seconds window : too little time, and the sheet won’t mold well, and two much time and the dreaded bubbles will grow like mushrooms. And both these steps are a function of trial-and-error, depending on the machine. A chronometer is useful to time the « right » time, but thank God, all smartphones have one function for that …As for the height, once you have determined it, a makeshift stop on one axis rod will help obtain consistent results.

HTH

Hubert 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The sheet came completely dry from a new vacuum sealed bag, the moisture source is the silicon lubricant I foolishly used as a separation agent. Possibly the plaster mold which was still wet LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Some bright stuff in smaller scales arrived today. 

The 1/72 Doodlebug resin kit from Brengun will accompany my flashy green Gee Bee Q.E.D. The kit seems nicely casted, simple to build and has some PE and vac-windscreen included.

P1000624.thumb.JPG.5da6bdc9996b6e56a29867d287c9e93e.JPG

The 1/48 Gee Bee from the Catalan company Dekno. The kit is 3D printed and on first inspection has some superficial print marks. Let's see how this turns out. Black markings are decals printed by Arctic Decals and I hope, they will respond well to decal solutions. It's an experiment for me, but when I've seen the kit, I had to buy it.

P1000622.thumb.JPG.ca008480753f8de9f6fdfce9a7b690bc.JPG

Last but not least, a vac-canopy with masks for my KI-15 'Kamikaze record plane and some masks for the pronunciation of the control surfaces.

P1000626.thumb.JPG.b343f36949e4c248915d549639babfe3.JPG

Cheers Rob

I built a rc Gee bee racer by Kyosho many years ago....never flew it.

Its identical in markings to your 1/48 kit. Still have it in storage at my

mothers home.....Ill dig it out and share a picture. That tanker is cool..

..reminds me of the Oscar Mayer hot dog car....without the bun.

• Like 5

Some items this week.....

Coming from Sprue Brothers a set of Decals from Star Decals.

Their 35-C 1316 PzKpfw I in Africa in 1/35 for my Takom panzer 1a.

Coming from Amazon, but surprisingly, sent from the Channel island of Jersey...

is a wood grain stencil in photo-etch by Artesnia Latina for 1/16 scale (27322).

It looks pretty good.

Another wood grain photo-etch set, this time in 1/35 scale and made by

TETRA MODEL WORKS (TET-TA-00021). This is a set of four stencils.

DSCN1165_kindlephoto-15423196.jpg

DSCN1162_kindlephoto-28876474.jpg

DSCN1164_kindlephoto-15362287.jpg

• Thanks 1

SO, what did I get this morning. A VERY rude awakening. I live in a condo with a upstairs and a downstairs. My son lives down stairs where my hobby room is. 

I went downstairs this morning to do some modeling on the Tiger 1, and BAM! There was my son on the floor in his room stiff as a board and cold as ice. Yes he was dead from a stroke or heart attack, we don't know yet. God can be really cruel sometimes.

He was 47 years old, way to young to die.

There's a old saying " you shouldn't outlive your kids"

Well enough depressing news, it will probably be a while before I can go down there to do any modeling, so the Tiger is on hold for awhile.

Sadly Ron G :(

• Sad 11

Ron, that’s terrible having to see that.  Having 4 grown children myself, I cannot imagine the nightmare.  I have one son that’s an Army Officer that I’m sure will be in harms way once again. He already did Afghanistan in the guard. 
My youngest son flirted with death with the crowd he was running with. He had a roommate that was shot and killed. I think it was a wake up call for him.  He’s completely changed his lifestyle. 

So sorry for your loss.  My heart goes out to you.  

• Like 1

I echo everyone else here, my sincere condolences, to you, BUT ..... how are YOU doing?? A vicious shock, I hope you are managing to cope as well as possible.... remember , we are here for you, should you need to vent or just ramble on.... take care of yourself too.....  very sorry to hear of your loss....

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff 

I'm doing as best as expected, I think I finally came to the point where I realize that he's gone and we are trying to cope with it. This really hit my wife hard.

I have stuff that I need to take down to my hobby area, but I  just can't go down there yet. It will get better with time I know, but right now his presence is still down there.

Ron G (a very sad dad)

• Sad 2