Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Ju 388 L-1

ust a quick pic before going off to bed. The canopy is attached to the cockpit. First with just a few drops of CA and after that was set I ran epoxy through all the joints. This was left to dry for 24 hours. Currently working on blending everything together by eliminating unwanted seams, restoring details and corrections on the canopy fairing. Everything looks really messy right now, but we'll get it sorted out.

Cheers, Wouter

Vtxn5mq.jpg?1

• Like 1

Alright, after a few evenings of putty, sanding, rinse and repeat, I've painted the canopy. I decided to pull off the masking because the canopy is now essentially finished. The real canopy was also finished in a black/grey color and not painted with the rest of the fuselage. I'm going to tape off the canopy as a whole for the rest of the build.

I still have to do some touch up, but all in all it turned out pretty well. Considering this is my first vac canopy I'm pleased with the result. I'm was pleasantly surprised with what can be seen from the outside, so all the hard work and details are not for nothing.

With the canopy finished, the rest of the build shoudl be pretty straightforward and I can see the finish line in the distance!

Cheers, Wouter

e1jDeE7.jpg

rxZ5Mho.jpg

5LWEBPk.jpg

sxiL3GX.jpg

• Like 1

So, I'm slowly working to on this one to get to the painting stage. Lot's of sanding, filling and (re)scribing to do. It's just so hard to get the panel lines straight, especially when they cross different materials like resin, filler and plastic. I'm now at the stage I'm calling it a day because I'll never get them perfect. 

Anyway, besides that, one of the smaller but still prominent part of the build is the turbo scoop beneath the engines. It's a tricky shape to get right. John mentioned this in the manual that he thinks the scoop should be altered and I tend to agree with him. I haven't found one picture showing the original scoop in good detail, but after studying the available material I found the parts provided in the kit to round and to short and not enough definition at the base.

Here's how the look unaltered:

SPP8SXy.jpg

Here are some of the better pictures I found showing the shape of the scoop

9XHlUXz.jpg

TeRiRRZ.jpg

rZotAm9.jpg

Looking at these pictures I found the shape to be oval from the front, longer from the side profile slightly tapering to the back, and a flared base. On the last picture you can also see that there is a panel line between the front and the rest of the scoop. I reshaped the kit parts using milliput. In the end I omitted the panel  because I couldn't get a decent straight line around the scoop. But all in all I think the altered shape is closer to the pictures then teh unaltered one.

O78yoy7.jpg

29idqJy.jpg

d1fJexC.jpg

• Like 1

And we've got wings! No turning back now. I've spent a copious amount of time to blend the wing root smooth, but the time spent here will pay off at the painting stage (so I hope :)). Next update we'll see some color.

eRV3DYT.jpg

• Like 5

Somebody is on fire here, that is an awful lot of stunning work, chapeau.
Your "how to" for the antennas is great and even includes some magic, like drilling a 1.2mm hole in a 1.2mm tube, i like that. And what it shows is the will to do things right, even if there are many difficulties to solve. Your cockpit is marvellous and well researched like the hot seat mechanism.

You put a lot of effort into this one and you took the same route to document that and this is a treasure for us, because your build shows a lot of answers to the often asked questions arise

Thanks for that

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, Wouter said:

And we've got wings! No turning back now. I've spent a copious amount of time to blend the wing root smooth, but the time spent here will pay off at the painting stage (so I hope :)). Next update we'll see some color.

eRV3DYT.jpg

ah what an interesting build a few questions I have to ask.

one: I guess you can call it a stand or jig but did you make it yourself or is it a kit? 

two: The foam in the engines I am assuming that is for stopping paint going were you don't want it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 1-5-2018 at 11:59 AM, Gaming Dragon32 said:

ah what an interesting build a few questions I have to ask.

one: I guess you can call it a stand or jig but did you make it yourself or is it a kit? 

two: The foam in the engines I am assuming that is for stopping paint going were you don't want it.

Hi, it's a kit form JH Models. I bought mine from the Aviationmegastore, but you can also order direct from JH models: http://www.jhmodels.eu/plastic-models/model-stands/no-3201-stand-new/

Yep, the foam is just temporary for painting

• Like 1

I skipped a few steps posting, so it appears i made some big steps in the mean time. For painting I went with only a slightly weathered look, but due to the end of the war conditions I wanted the paint to start fading a little. Getting there ever so slowly and I found some time to take a few beauty shots outside in the sun.

Steps done after last post:

- camouflage painting (all done with MR paint - paint)

- gloss coat 

- decals and sprayed markings. The larger decals in the kit didn't adhere very well so I ended up spray painting them. Looks better anyway and lesson learned that shortcuts don't work in modelling...

- panel line wash

- sprayed exhaust staining

- satin coat

- removed canopy mask! yeah.

On to the last bits and bobs (landing gear, antennas, guns, periscope).

Cheers, Wouter

AbxRVTZ.jpg

fIGdQ4o.jpg

zJU16Lx.jpg

18EJIV9.jpg

And one of my favourite angles

s1bLBA6.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Administrators

Brilliant work, Wouter!   I've seen the finished pictures, but for the first time I read all the way through the steps of construction.

Your problem solving skills are extraordinary!  Legendary perhaps?

• Like 3