Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Special Hobby Tempest Mk.V

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wiring.Pit.03.jpg

Part s H41 and H42 are door retracting arm and from beginning I knew this would be problematic during the build and eventually break.

I removed the "hydraulic" rod and drilled a .4mm hole.  Then I glued parts H41 and H42.  The rod will be replaced with either .4mm styrene or aluminum rod.

Photo shows styrene rod test fitted.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.03.jpg

Once glue is fully cured I placed cockpit tub in fuselage and began removing offensive parts of the wheel well as the cockpit tub interferes with fit of wing to fuselage assembly.  Parts J13 and J14 needed much attention with sanding stick for correct fit.

Time add some plumbing.

• Like 2

GOOD NEWS - Wiring completed

BAD NEWS - All construction pics were lost, my bad

WheelWellWired.02.jpg

Primed and painted MRP 111 Interior Grey-Green.  You can see the plumbing added.  Also note parts H41 and H42 in place with pre-drilled hole for the .4mm rod.

WheelWellWired.01.jpg

More wheel well detail.

• Like 5

Cockpit tub got plenty of wiring love.  You'll have to look close to see the plumbing.  Just enough to be visible from open cockpit.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.05.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.08.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.06.jpg

With IP in view you will notice the Yahu panel is only used on center.  The port and starboard panels are kit offering painted up with decals.  The Yahu port and starboard.panels did not fit.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.07.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.09.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.10.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.11.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Stunning Rick, going to get back to mine once I’ve finished the ongoing GB. Did you have to grind a lot to fit the tub, I did unfortunately.,,,,,,

Phil it's all in the placement of the wheel bay sections. The inner faces of the whheelbay sit slightly inboard of the hole in the wing. 

• Like 2

Good to see some progress here, Rick. The pit and wells look great with your wiring. Bummer with the Yahu IP, measuring and testing shouldn't be so hard prior to produce the stuff.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 3:34 PM, Bomber_County said:

Stunning Rick, going to get back to mine once I’ve finished the ongoing GB. Did you have to grind a lot to fit the tub, I did unfortunately.,,,,,,

Cheers Phil,  For me I waited until glue was fully cured on the wheel well parts...a few days.  Then I began test fitting and sanding.  Parts J13 and J14 needed much attention with sanding stick for correct fit. It truly was a PITA.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:45 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Nice to see this one moving forward, Rick.  Great work and so precise.

Thanks Ernie. 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:56 AM, DocRob said:

Good to see some progress here, Rick. The pit and wells look great with your wiring. Bummer with the Yahu IP, measuring and testing shouldn't be so hard prior to produce the stuff.

Cheers Rob

Cheers Rob.  Disappointing on the Yahu fit. 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, Axeman said:

Cockpit looks great!  

Thanks Axeman!

• Like 1

Found the photos showing post wiring, pre assembly of the cockpit and wheel wells. 

I felt posting this would be helpful to any future SH Tempest Mk.II or Mk.V build.  You'll see some repeated images from my previous posts.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.01.jpg

Using Lead Wire.2mm, .3mm and .6mm plumbing added to wheel wells and cockpit tub and walls.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.02.jpg

Wiring for cockpit tub.  Just enough to be visible once fuselage is buttoned up.  You can see where I grinded inside of fuselage walls to accept the cockpit tub.  MRP  77 NATO Black for top half of cockpit wall while MRP 111 Interior Green for bottom half.

Details picked out with various Vallejo Model Colors and Ulshi metal powders.

Wiring.Pit.01.jpg

I pre drilled wheel well walls before assembly.

Wiring.Pit.03.jpg

The rod will be either .4mm styrene or aluminum rod on parts H41 and H42.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.00.jpg

Wheel well plumbing complete.  Note the styrene rods on parts H41 and H42.  I'm leaning towards using aluminum rod as no painting will be required.  I removed them prior to painting as they would easily get snapped off.

WheelWellWired.02.jpg

Wheel well painted with MRP 111 Interior Green.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

As I was wrapped up work on the kit nose Barracuda released their nose correction set.  I promptly ordered mine.  I was the 1st Tempest correction set shipped.  Roy can confirm.  :)

Yes, this build has been on the SOD for quite awhile.  ;)

Tempest_Nose_Packaging.01.jpg

There has already been a review of this set so I'll be succinct.  It's a beauty and it's 98% plug n play.  Minor seam work required.

Tempest_Nose_Packaging.03.jpg

Beautifully cast set with all the goodies.  Even tools to properly mount prop blades at correct pitch.

Tempest_Pour_Stub.01.jpg

The casting plug is significant and I highly recommend studying Roy's recommendation on plug removal.

Tempest_Pour_Stub.02.jpg

Wearing my ventilator I placed a damp towel on table and grinded away the plug.  The damp towel keeps dust from making a big mess on my bench.

Tempest_Pour_Stub.06.jpg

After grinding I take my razor saw and carefully remove remains of resin block.

Tempest_Pour_Stub.11.jpg

A sanding stick smooths out the nose.

Tempest_Pour_Stub.12.jpg

Drill for the prop backplate and clean the radiator scoop.

Tempest_Spinner.07.jpg

Test fit and it looks good.

Tempest.Nose.02.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1