The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

On 7/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Martinnfb said:

You are absolutely right Wumm,  GM for instance, it should be dead, stolen by its own executive team. But this is USA and basic economical principals are pushed aside by the chosen few.

Here is the list of heavy hitters of US economy. Explains a lot.

2007 rank Company Revenues (in millions)
1. Wal-Mart Stores $351,139.0
2. Exxon Mobil 347,254.0
3. General Motors 207,349.0
4. Chevron 200,567.0
5. ConocoPhillips 172,451.0
6. General Electric 168,307.0
7. Ford Motor 160,126.0
8. Citigroup 146,777.0
9. Bank of America Corp. 117,017.0
10. American International Group 113,194.0
11. J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. 99,973.0
12. Berkshire Hathaway 98,539.0
13. Verizon Communications 93,221.0
14. Hewlett-Packard 91,658.0
15. Intl. Business Machines 91,424.0
16. Valero Energy 91,051.0
17. Home Depot 90,837.0
18. McKesson 88,050.0
19. Cardinal Health 81,895.1
20. Morgan Stanley 76,688.0
21. United Health Group 71,542.0
22. Merrill Lynch 70,591.0

Merrill Lynch used to have an office over the Borders Books I was a manager at. But it caught on fire after a tower fell on it and my whole building had to be demolished and dumped in Staten Island.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, harv said:

According to our own Ernster, it is a Studebaker Ute. Looked it up, he is right !.....harv

I would say that would be quite a rare ride, even back in it's day, never seen anything like that........ kind of cool.......

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 2:49 PM, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Merrill Lynch used to have an office over the Borders Books I was a manager at. But it caught on fire after a tower fell on it and my whole building had to be demolished and dumped in Staten Island.

I have just realised, quite literally, the gravity of this statement Cat.

Geez Louise

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh ... We have a dedicated automotive thread here ... Cool! :D

So ...

I always wanted a Holden Ute ... And I finally got one ... Low Km's and well looked after :)

kTkr7CU.jpg

C48L6hL.jpg

EIvlmU8.jpg

88Gkvtg.jpg

The colour is called Prussian Steel Grey ... and it has a 6.0L V8 engine ... So I have nicknamed it "Panzer" 

I collect it on the 10/10

Rog :)

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Oh ... We have a dedicated automotive thread here ... Cool! :D

So ...

I always wanted a Holden Ute ... And I finally got one ... Low Km's and well looked after :)

kTkr7CU.jpg

C48L6hL.jpg

EIvlmU8.jpg

88Gkvtg.jpg

The colour is called Prussian Steel Grey ... and it has a 6.0L V8 engine ... So I have nicknamed it "Panzer" 

I collect it on the 10/10

Rog :)

Must not let the wife see this or she'll want one. Thankfully I'd have to wait till it was 15 years old before I could bring it into Canada. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wumm said:

One for the Chev heads...

IMG_20191006_185210.thumb.jpg.cb5f17339ebf9bff5f0d8fc1747f5330.jpg

Spied just now on The Gold Coast at the Southport Seaway. Sunday evening on a 3-day weekend here.

THIS Chev Head loves this.............. '69 SS  (RS/SS ?) Does it have hide away head lights? if no just a plain SS  gorgeous, my favorite year of the Camaro !

• Like 2

Unsure I'm sorry to say Jeff,

It was dark when she came past us to leave (they close the Park at 8pm and there's a fee to be released afterwards) and I didn't notice the lights I'm sorry to say. Sounded like a 396 maybe, with a very lumpy Cam. Note, the wheel's on the left, which is opposite this part of the World. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wumm said:

Unsure I'm sorry to say Jeff,

It was dark when she came past us to leave (they close the Park at 8pm and there's a fee to be released afterwards) and I didn't notice the lights I'm sorry to say. Sounded like a 396 maybe, with a very lumpy Cam. Note, the wheel's on the left, which is opposite this part of the World. 

Wheel on the left is where it is supposed to be :rofl:But I heard that the regulations "Down Under" are very strict with regards to changing them over to the right, but if they are considered 'classic' is that still a requirement? We seem to import a lot of Japanese vehicles here in BC at least that are right hand drive, and there are some ' strict' rules they are to follow, like not allowed to pass ( overtake) another vehicle as the driver can't see on coming cars, but ask me if they follow that rule??? Is it the same Down Under?

• Like 3

Not aware of any passing restrictions. I know when Dad drove Trucks in the Army there was a requirement than Left Hand Drive must have a sign or sticker on the rear as a warning, but this has been relaxed since.

I mentioned the changeover point almost a year ago in this thread...

On 11/17/2018 at 7:47 PM, Wumm said:

For the Purists, quite probably.

The limit in Qld is 30 years ( 'Classic' definition?), if it's under that age when imported it can't be driven until it's converted to RHD...

I think I'd leave the pedals where they were if given the choice.

So, a '69 is fine to leave as-is, but anything from the last IROC up must be converted.

Speaking of which, I was talking away to the Wife at the time, about Camaro's and such and the reference to the Teenage Dirtbag song where the guy "Lives on my block, and drives an IROC"...

While her eyes slowly glazed over.

• Like 3

For Canada, anything 15 years or older from the date of manufacture is ok to import as long as you pay the requisite duties. It must however pass any provincial safety or emissions requirements before it can be registered and put on the road. 

So for example, BC requires DOT certified headlights, whereas Ontario doesn't.  In the case of my '91 Beat, as it was initially registered in BC the headlights got swapped to ones from a Toyota Paseo. The Paseo lights didn't quite fit so when I bought car, the dealer agreed to reinstall the original lights since I was registering it in Ontario. 

There's also no law here about not being able to pass. Not that in my case I'd be really doing much of that with 63 hp. 

Carl

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Wumm said:

Not aware of any passing restrictions. I know when Dad drove Trucks in the Army there was a requirement than Left Hand Drive must have a sign or sticker on the rear as a warning, but this has been relaxed since.

I mentioned the changeover point almost a year ago in this thread...

So, a '69 is fine to leave as-is, but anything from the last IROC up must be converted.

Speaking of which, I was talking away to the Wife at the time, about Camaro's and such and the reference to the Teenage Dirtbag song where the guy "Lives on my block, and drives an IROC"...

While her eyes slowly glazed over.

HUH............... I had a black '86 IROC Camaro, 5 spd stick T-top, had it 7 years, no on EVER sat in the back seat, NEVER saw a gravel road, washed , hand dried, taken for a spin, washed hand dried, put away, had 17,000 KMS all numbers matching when I traded it for my Special order Corvette................ it was a nice car except for the Goodyear Eagle tires, they sucked.................some days I wish I still had that car

• Like 1

I meant,

Her eyes glazed over coz I was Rabbiting on about cars again. She's not really into Cars or Bikes, but loves the Boats tho.

She actually drives a GM product... This is her Cruze.

IMG_20191009_043850.thumb.jpg.a58658cc14991ef5c8e55fc6ceee73e7.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 9/18/2019 at 6:39 PM, Wumm said:

Studebaker made cars here in Australia in the 50's and 60's, but the pickup was called the "Commercial" and had a separate box. A nice Resto happening here...

https://www.griffs.com.au/product/1962-studebaker-champ/

IMG_8336.jpg

I'd say that the Lark Ute that Harv saw in Branson is a custom hot rod with no link to Down Under other thsan in style and flavour.  It's done in a similar spirit as the late 50's Ford Customline Utes which were built on a car chassis. Ford used the 53-56 US Ford body for quite a few years Down Under, well past 1957 when Ford introduced new bodies in North America.

Plus, it has 1957-58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser styled full length rear fender skirts, whis definitely is a custom touch.

• Like 3

• Administrators

My truck, a 1997 Ford F-250 Heavy Duty with the legendary 7.3L International Harvester diesel engine. I've owned it a long time but only recently decided to start using it again. 

Around here, these trucks are worth their weight in gold. the 7.3L IH diesel, when properly cared for, is a genuine 1 Million mile, (not km) engine that will easily outlast every other part on the truck several times over.   It has almost ZERO for options, just the basics good for pulling loads and what's needed to stay comfoprtable in the Texas heat. A huge air conditioner an AM/FM basic radio, and an automatic transmission. I DID install a factory tilt steering column to give my ever expanding gut more room to grow.

I've done several things to improve it's capabilities, such as custom building an automatic transmission that can keep up with the engine. I bought billet steel halves for the torque converter, lowered the stall of the converter about 400 RPM to get into the best power range of the engine, used all ceramic clutches in the converter, and did everything I could think of inside the autobox to make it bulletproof.

I've also run a straight 4" pipe from the turbo all the way back, installed a fresh air intake to the outside to keep the hot engine air out of the induction, and finally installed a mild program to emphasize torque over horsepower. I installed a fifth wheel hitch in the bed, and a heavy duty frame hitch on the rear. There is zero emmissions on a 1997 diesel, and it's truly an old time truck. Rough riding, bare bones, noisy inside and out, blows black smoke out the tailpipe when you romp on it, pretty darn obnoxious actually, but it will pull anythi ng you can hook up to it. This truck easily pulled 40,000 lbs for 35 miles last year, and is quite happy doing so as long as the trailer brakes match the load.

Plus, the big bonus, all those engine and gearbox tweaks return me 22 US MPG when running at 72 mph empty. 

No, it's not exactly exciting compared to all the hot rods and fast cars, but believe it or not, around here, this plain jane white old Ford diesel F-250 attracts more looks and attention than all them fancy  highfalutin' 200 mph plastic fantastic mobiles.  I jjust make sure I wear my bib overalls and a straw hat.

8E06FEA5-73B5-4564-913B-AC6F42C1262C.jpeg

82E70EB8-C8D8-40A8-A129-D0AA403A104C.jpeg

1AAE8746-F061-4C79-B4A9-CD47EA26B1DF.jpeg

B35A4AD6-2628-4448-9472-501B50450E00.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Yep, I had Mainline and Customline backwards.

In the US from 52-54 with that body style, we had, from lowest to highest: Mainline, Customline, Crestline. All the same vehicle, just varying trim levels.

In 55-56, they restyled the exterior and the Crestline was replaced with Fairlane.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I need a little advice here............ I was just reading on a Chevy Tahoe site, that a fellow just had his Tahoe stolen in the Dallas area and is rightfully pissed about it, and it sounds like there is a lot of that going on these days...... and it was a truck with 'keyless'  entry and ignition, same as what I have and I'm sure some of you guys as well................... one of the guys on the site suggested getting a 'Faraday bag'............................  do any of you guys have one of these for your cell phone , key fob, lap top, or credit cards? Which one did you get, and does it work and was it expensive? I see on Amazon ( yes I will add to Jeff Beyso's fortune, he is down a couple billion due to his divorce) most are fairly reasonably priced...... from the write ups I see they work or seem to work quite well............... can you guys give me your experiences and advice, I really don't want my truck stolen................ and for the record, I think if one steels a car or has stolen a car, it should be a hanging offense no questions asked, as like in the old days, when a guy stole a horse...... my Tahoe is my 21st century horse................. so I hope you guys can fill me in here..................