Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Kitty Hawk F-5F done.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Quite demonstrably, you're well able to handle those "lamp oil burners", too... 
What Peter wrote: Keep 'em comin'!

Next lamp oil burner will be Aero-Vodochny L-39 or Mug-15.

L-39 is the best looking jet ever made, by any Nation, ever. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Next lamp oil burner will be Aero-Vodochny L-39 or Mug-15.

L-39 is the best looking jet ever made, by any Nation, ever. 

She's a cutie. Hands-down.
Quite obviously, the designers, engineers and workers at Aero took great pride in what they were manufacturing. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 hours ago, HubertB said:

Nice one, Ernie :thumbsup2: (but these stencils and walkways on the wings look agricultural on this arframe ;))

Hubert

Agreed, but as it’s OOB, on they go.

Maybe finding a John Deere, Caterpillar, or M.A.N. Logo might help?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Agreed, but as it’s OOB, on they go.

Maybe finding a John Deere, Caterpillar, or M.A.N. Logo might help?

You’d then need to paint it green and yellow, and it would not be OOB. As for the pilots, I’m not sure they’d be too excited to take the commands of an engine obviuously made for plowing the fields ...:rolleyes:

Hubert

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Wumm said:

Good to see this build wrapping up with such an impressive finish, especially considering how far from your comfort zone you've ventured and the hiccups encountered along the way.

S

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, my friend!

Next Kitty Hawk kits for me to build are the OS2U and the big ol’ Sabre Dog. But I never saw myself building this one, so who knows?  Maybe I’ll snag me a Mirage or an F-5 recce Bird when they hit the streets.

I like the kits. OOB yes, and maybe a few details are generic or not for your exact chosen prototype, but even OOB, they’re challenging enough to make the build enjoyable and not robotic. The coolness of resin without the headaches and resin dust.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well folks, Kitty Hawk throws me a slight curve ball. 

This is to be a display model at hobby shows, so it’s gotta be closed up. Open canopies, speed brakes, etc get broken constantly when picked up and handled at shows.  That nugget of information completely slipped my mind during the build, so here we go. Yay.

Because the kit is designed to have the canopies open, two guesses what that means. :)   And the first guess doesn’t count. Yep, the canopies don’t fit!  Oh, they fit the openings just fine, but the kit gives you all the scale goodies such as inner canopy rails, latch mechanisms, lifts, locks, everything. So, not only does all that go away, but the scale thickness of the plastic canopy means the rear canopy hits the top of the rear seat. By about 1/32 of an inch.  So, out come the trusty nippers and #11 for some creative modeling.  Heheheeeee

• Like 5