The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RSO Radschlepper Ost - Having a Break

Hola Senhores,

After a week in my old hood of Berlin I restocked some of my needed resin figures for some future projects. Among them where figures for my planned GB entries. I skipped the Churchill Avre tank in favor for the RSO, a unique truck I wanted to build since years. No need for resin replacement wheels here, because it has steel wheels, no rubber involved ;).
The kit looks very good and I think there is no AM needed, beside some stuff for the loading.

I chose two figures from Bravo 6 to accompany the RSO. One is shaving with water from a puddle and the other is - err, well - leaking against a fencepost :D. They even cared to include three different sized dicks :notworthy:, that's what I call attention to detail :rofl:. His face is a perfect fit whistling a tune. In German 'Wie die Nase eines Mannes, so sein Johannes'.
The RSO and the guys will be presented in a little dio and I hope my figure painting skills will be up to the task.

While browsing through the various companies producing resin figures there are some outstanding and creative producers which separate themselves from others with their non static approach to figure design. Namely Bravo 6, Evolution Miniatures, The Bodi, partly Scale 75 and last but not least Nocturna  Industria Mechanika and Figone for the stranger taste.
I had lot's of fun to add to my stash from these companies and dwell some future settings for different kits.

Cheers Rob

P1150104.thumb.JPG.068be995faf1c874bc92a49822b89b16.JPG

P1150103.thumb.JPG.bab755e2e4285d1717de1c7547eecee5.JPG

P1150102.thumb.JPG.bb4cbc2cfd40e1b1f2fa8beebca77bde.JPG

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, JeroenPeters said:

When i read RSO i expected something different, but this is cool.

Thanks Jeroen, you expected right, I made a mistake in the title. This is the Radschlepper Ost not the Raupenschlepper Ost :D. I have the other RSO in my stash too, but this slow moving beast is just too tempting.

10 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

This is going to be awesome!

Thanks for your premature praise Martin, now I feel pressure :lol:

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

They were built for the harsh conditions on the eastern front, but performed not to well. The RSO was slow (max. 15 km/h) and was nearly undrivable in icy conditions and had a fuel consumption of 200l / 100km. That combined with a high center of gravity on axles with narrow width were no ingredients for a champion. It seemed, that most RSO's served in the west, where they where equally hindered by poor performance on tarmac, because of the steel wheels.
Off road capability in general was not too bad, but the above mentioned obstacles were weighing to much, to be a success. Only 206 seemed to have been built with no existing survivors.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5

Few interesting facts about Skoda RSO.

• When loaded the fuel consumption was increased to almost 600l/100km.
  • Prototype had perforated rims , due the stress deformations they had to switched to solid design
  • A massive 6624ccm engine was using  as a starter two cylinder air cooled engine. It was a derivate (a half) from famous VW Kubelvagen engine.
  • The plan was to build 450 vehicles every month between the factories in Mlada Boleslav and Plzen.
  • Ferdinand Porshe was present on test trials, where it become very apparent that the design didn't achieve the main objective, deal with the mud of the Eastern Front. ( the vehicle was digging itself into the mud)
  • By the end of 1942 Skoda factory produced 10 vehicles.
  • Production started in 1943 and was cancelled in April of the same year , producing 154 vehicles.
  • Another 42 pieces were assembled from stored parts.

Skoda RSO.jpg

RSO---1.jpg

skoda5.jpg

(134-136)_RSO_Page_1_Image_0012.jpg

(134-136)_RSO_Page_2_Image_0004.jpg

(134-136)_RSO_Page_2_Image_0003.jpg

3.jpg

rso_a.jpg

Radschlepper_Ost_02.jpg

rsonormandy.jpg

RSO---2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, DocRob said:

Hola Senhores,

After a week in my old hood of Berlin I restocked some of my needed resin figures for some future projects. Among them where figures for my planned GB entries. I skipped the Churchill Avre tank in favor for the RSO, a unique truck I wanted to build since years. No need for resin replacement wheels here, because it has steel wheels, no rubber involved ;).
The kit looks very good and I think there is no AM needed, beside some stuff for the loading.

I chose two figures from Bravo 6 to accompany the RSO. One is shaving with water from a puddle and the other is - err, well - leaking against a fencepost :D. They even cared to include three different sized dicks :notworthy:, that's what I call attention to detail :rofl:. His face is a perfect fit whistling a tune. In German 'Wie die Nase eines Mannes, so sein Johannes'.
The RSO and the guys will be presented in a little dio and I hope my figure painting skills will be up to the task.

While browsing through the various companies producing resin figures there are some outstanding and creative producers which separate themselves from others with their non static approach to figure design. Namely Bravo 6, Evolution Miniatures, The Bodi, partly Scale 75 and last but not least Nocturna  Industria Mechanika and Figone for the stranger taste.
I had lot's of fun to add to my stash from these companies and dwell some future settings for different kits.

Cheers Rob

P1150104.thumb.JPG.068be995faf1c874bc92a49822b89b16.JPG

P1150103.thumb.JPG.bab755e2e4285d1717de1c7547eecee5.JPG

P1150102.thumb.JPG.bb4cbc2cfd40e1b1f2fa8beebca77bde.JPG

This will be aweome, Doc!

Just remember that if you're going to make the leaking German as a tanker, be sure to use the smallest of the three appendages. For tanker realism and all.....

:)

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Few interesting facts about Skoda RSO

Nice pics, specially from the prototype version with holes in the wheels :thumbsup2:.

13 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I KNEW I’d seen that style before!

You found my second best choice for a camo with your second pic :D.

12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Just remember that if you're going to make the leaking German as a tanker, be sure to use the smallest of the three appendages. For tanker realism and all.....

I'm not already decided about that 'piece', maybe its time for an LSM poll :lol:.

12 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

If he was building a plane he wouldn't need that part at all, since the plane is compensating for the lack of that piece.

With a max speed of 15 km/h you need an extra large one to compensate :D.

12 hours ago, Wumm said:

Wonderful esoteric choice Doc... 

(p.s. - my nose is broken and leans to the right!)

Thanks Wumm, but I hope you understand if I will not dig deeper into that nose thing :rofl:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Where is Jeff ? :) :stirthepot:

Just catching up ............................. No wonder there were so few made, ................ who the Hell would want to drive one, ................ my back is sore just looking at this thing..... and what about the poor guy's kidneys..................cool concept, but I bet it was a once in a lifetime ride............................ I'm going to enjoy watching thsi coem together for sure....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

BLASPHEMOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No way to treat a Chevy ! 

Don't be afraid Jeff, it's just the prototype with holes in the wheels :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4