The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What's your favourite Mk Spitfire?

Mine would be the XIV high back. I love the long nose look the Griffon engine gives the Spitfire. Most Griffon Spitfires look fine to me. 

I've so far built one XIV using the old RB Products resin nose on a Tamiya VIII. I have 3 of the PCM XIV kits in the stash with plans to make one a XIX, one a FR XIVe and the last into a reasonable facsimile of a 21 with the contra prop. 

I'm hoping for a XIV conversion for the Tamiya Spitfires so I can do a low back FR XIV in RCAF markings. 

Carl

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Most Griffon Spitfires look fine to me

Same with me here. The Spit to me had the worst 'landing gear down ugliness enhancement factor' of all planes. Looks elegant and sleek in the air, but looses all of it on the ground, because of that spidery, flimsy looking narrow undercarriage. Yeah I know, it was not built to please the eye.
I have no 1/32 Spit in my stash, but two XVI's in 1/48 which will be displayed one on the ground and the other flying above. The one on the ground with visible Brassin engine, and cockpit and opened gun areas in camo, while the flying one will be a racer.

I often thought about a XVI from Tamiya in 1/32, but resisted, since the 1/48 from Eduard is just great.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I often thought about a XVI from Tamiya in 1/32, but resisted, since the 1/48 from Eduard is just great.

The Tamiya XVI is a nice kit. I've built one so far.

DSC_0149-L.jpg

If I ever get to it, the 21 would be in similar markings to it.

• Like 4

My vote is for the XVI as well but with the cropped wingtips. Don't know why but the bubbletop and straight wingtips just look so purposeful.

Have already built the Tamiya 32nd scale one. It's a great kit but the engine covers and firewall attachment I find overly fussy for a kit that is supposed to be the dogs doodahs according to most reviews.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The Tamiya XVI is a nice kit. I've built one so far.

DSC_0149-L.jpg

If I ever get to it, the 21 would be in similar markings to it.

Carl, this job you did on this kit makes my heart flutter............................ it's AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!:wub:

I was going to do mine the same, but after seeing this one, I changed my mind, you did a MASTERFUL job on it..................  I LOVE it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jeff! I got a bunch of help from one of the guys who worked on the real one while I was building it.

I just picked up a new Ikea Detolf display case so I'll finally be able to get all of my finished Tamiya Spitfires in one case. 

Here's five with three more in a different cabinet.

IMG_20191019_214656.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Awesome collection, Carl.  

My favorite?  Simple, the traditional Mk.V, simply because it’s a ‘pure’ short nose Spitty, with more in common with the original concept than not.  

I also have a serious affection for the bubbletop versions, both Merlin and Griffin powered. After seeing Peter Castle’s award winning bubbletop racer, I have similar thoughts get, but in 1/32.

My least favorite Spitfire?  Most definitely that hideous abomination foisted upon an unsuspecting and gullible public by Triumph. I once owned one, and it was truly a horrible experience. So much so I considered trading up to a Yugo. The people who dreamed up that thing should be keelhauled then locked in the Tower of London forever. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 8:52 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

Thanks Jeff! I got a bunch of help from one of the guys who worked on the real one while I was building it.

I just picked up a new Ikea Detolf display case so I'll finally be able to get all of my finished Tamiya Spitfires in one case. 

Here's five with three more in a different cabinet.

IMG_20191019_214656.jpg

How'd you put in the extra shelves in there?

• Like 4