The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 HobbyBoss Invader A-26B (a Joke?)

Martinnfb

1 hour ago, 1to1scale said:

Oops! 

7 or 9....I ain’t neva bin good at gazintas...

1C86CF4F-BB8F-4C69-8401-DC5AA68CD9EE.jpeg

Boy.........................  you have got to be a certain age to know who this guy is....................................:rofl:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, HubertB said:

Maybe it started off as an A-20 then got redirected to an A-26 ... Anyone checked the A-20 cowlings to see how they look like compared to the kit’s ones :lol: ?

Hubert

Actually ... you might be onto something there ... it’ll be like the Stuka ... they’ll release an A-20 next and the nacelles and engines will be from an A-26B Invader... buy both to get your aircraft accurate!!

Rog :)

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Old Dog said:

I think it's a conspiracy, they must be in league with the after market folks !

Yes, if you want it absolutely right, you’ll have to buy two R-2800 engines. And I’m sure that you will soon have correctly-profiled cowlings on Shapeways. Given their shape, they are fairly easy to design.

I can very well imagine the designer starting with 14-cylinders engine designs, finding the engines « floated » in the designed cowlings, and changing the shape of the cowlings to fit the engines more closely. Looks like a cascade of blunders even a Hollywood film-maker would not even think of dreaming off :lol: ...

Anyway, as Rog pointed, take it and keep it, take it and change it, or avoid it. What’s done is done ...

Hubert

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Actually ... you might be onto something there ... it’ll be like the Stuka ... they’ll release an A-20 next and the nacelles and engines will be from an A-26B Invader... buy both to get your aircraft accurate!!

Rog :)

Rog, isn't that what happened with the F-84? A speedbrake swap between the two versions?  Between all of us here, I expect we can put our collective heads together and come up with thoughtful fixes for the issues. Like what happened with the F-84.

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I don’t think the engines would be hard to correct, I’m guessing somebody like Brassin will make a replacement set.

Exactly. And many, if not most of us would work on a kit's engines anyway, so no big deal.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HubertB said:

Looks like a cascade of blunders even a Hollywood film-maker would not even think of dreaming off :lol: ...

Maybe if Hobby Boss included a Starbucks cup to set on the radio operator's station it would surpass Hollywood.

• Like 6

• Administrators
1 hour ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Was it used in the A-26? I see it listed for the A-20, so that would lend some weight to the theory the kit started out as an A-20 but someone decided to shift gears midway through.

Yep, it was used in the A-20 and the Helldiver for sure, not sure of others.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Would the Quickboost R-2800 work as a substitute?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB32036?result-token=CPsjU

I guess we need the internal dimensions of the kit's cowlings and the dimensions of that resin piece to determine that. Someone has mentioned the cowlings look a bit undersized (to accommodate the smaller engine, I guess).

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 10:57 PM, Martinnfb said:

Exactly, I am also hoping that HB will pick this up before they finalize the release. Such a nice airframe.

the chances of that are near zero surely?

I think the solution is obviously wait for an aftermarket resin insert, which should be pretty simple

it's not like any clear parts are required eg Liberator turrets

yes it's a goof and yes it's pretty cringeful but hey no-one else looks like making one (ICM maybe?), so unless you like fiddling around with vac nonsense, this is it I'm afraid

stay safe

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nmayhew said:

yes it's a goof and yes it's pretty cringeful but hey no-one else looks like making one (ICM maybe?), so unless you like fiddling around with vac nonsense, this is it I'm afraid

An interesting point indeed - in this case the ‘vac nonsense’ would likely be the better option if you want an accurate Invader in 1/32nd scale.

Perhaps more modellers should in fact build more ‘vac nonsense’ and dig out those old ID Models Invaders buried deep in their stashes and get cracking. ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThomasProbert said:

An interesting point indeed - in this case the ‘vac nonsense’ would likely be the better option if you want an accurate Invader in 1/32nd scale.

Perhaps more modellers should in fact build more ‘vac nonsense’ and dig out those old ID Models Invaders buried deep in their stashes and get cracking. ;)

In fairness, Tom, a lot of these old vacs are sometimes not as accurate ( no idea for the ID/Tigger/Combat A-26, but I am thinking of the Hampden for instance ... ) as one could expect them to be. Plus there IS a difference between a good female-molding vac (like Welsh Models 1/144 liners) and the sometimes rough male-master vacs ...

Where I am 200 % with you, is that vacform kits are more maligned than they really deserve. And resin AM and now 3D printing make the option far easier now than ever.

Hubert

• Like 3