The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Lancaster ND644 in 32nd scale

Chaps, although I enjoy reading this topic it annoys me to read everytime that HK dropped the ball here and there. As a modeller it's a personal challenge to build a model you like and improve what you can.

Accept a kit's faults and enjoy the process. There is no perfection. Deal with it:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well its a fine sunny morning in my part of England, no snow as seen in other parts  . . .

Having rubber down the fuselage windows I thought I would spray some primer onto see if there are any flaws 

:omg:   :omg:    :omg:

825533511_HKLancDamage(1).thumb.JPG.62de07ad7721a6120daa01b2436d275f.JPG

A gust of wind blew it from the shelf . . . . :help:

• Sad 10

10 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

Chaps, although I enjoy reading this topic it annoys me to read everytime that HK dropped the ball here and there. As a modeller it's a personal challenge to build a model you like and improve what you can.

Accept a kit's faults and enjoy the process. There is no perfection. Deal with it:)

You are right and it’s fun and modeling to face the challenges of a kit. 

What makes me angry is that you pay 350€ (!) for a kit with so many faults and shortcomings. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Ian, do you have the clear fuselage you could substitute? If not, let me know as both my kits have one. 

Carl

Carl

I do have all the clear parts but as you know, there is no external detail . . . .

• Like 4

I have made a start on the repair of the fuselage . . .

1014335425_HKLancDamage(1A).thumb.JPG.7c1cdf30d3e724d962c443cdb662bbac.JPG

I took measurements from the opposite side of the fuselage of the oblong shapes in certain positions, hence the numbers. They are just shown in place, fortunate the break is as clean as a flat edge rather than in splinters. I shall initially used Tamiya thin and apply only on the inside face and squeeze together. I shall be taping the two fuselage halves together to ensure that both faces are flush and I dont end up with a slightly bent repaired half  . . ..

Those oblong shapes where there isnt a tab I shall apply HK Sprue glue via the bomb-bay opening and thro' the mid-upper turret aperture.

Here's hoping  . . . :unsure: 

Ian

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FME erk said:

I have made a start on the repair of the fuselage . . .

1014335425_HKLancDamage(1A).thumb.JPG.7c1cdf30d3e724d962c443cdb662bbac.JPG

I took measurements from the opposite side of the fuselage of the oblong shapes in certain positions, hence the numbers. They are just shown in place, fortunate the break is as clean as a flat edge rather than in splinters. I shall initially used Tamiya thin and apply only on the inside face and squeeze together. I shall be taping the two fuselage halves together to ensure that both faces are flush and I dont end up with a slightly bent repaired half  . . ..

Those oblong shapes where there isnt a tab I shall apply HK Sprue glue via the bomb-bay opening and thro' the mid-upper turret aperture.

Here's hoping  . . . :unsure: 

Ian

Sounds like a reasonable plan! 

This will for sure be successful, Ian!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks like it's working out. After some sanding and re- scribing it'll look good as new. 

Nice recovery there Ian. 

That’s really good work, Ian! Will be completely hidden after rework.

Please send me the assistants you had for your work. They seem to be very competent :D...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Its been around 48hrs since the fuselage was glued . . . 

I have sanded off the excess that was ousing out and found a couple of 'holes' that I have now filled with HK Sprue glue. I think its going to turn out OK :)

1564032305_HKLancdamage6.thumb.JPG.5f5437cee36ddaeb73f5695aea9eec93.JPG

More to come in a few days 

Ian

• Like 10

I did some work with home made sprue goo a couple years ago.  A week after I used it, I sanded the area smooth and continued with the build.

Then, I applied the primer.  Much to my horror, everywhere that I had used sprue goo, the plastic had continued to shrink after I had sanded it smooth, leaving shallow ditches.  Hopefully the stuff you used stabilized quicker than mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1