The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1D/FG-1D completed (for now anyway)

I decided to finish this one in a nice clean finish with minimal weathering. I might go back later and overspray with clear semi-flat and do a bit of weathering but for now I like it like it is. Eye catching (at least for me it is). After market are the resin wheels, seat belts and the decals. Painted with MM Dark Sea Blue (my favorite color!). This a/c was assigned to HQSS-22 on Ie Shima in 1945. Probably saw a lot of action during the Okinawa campaign. I hope you like the model. Be sure to click on the pics for the best resolution. :)

9-6-21 004.jpg

9-6-21 001.jpg

9-6-21 002.jpg

9-6-21 003.jpg

9-6-21 005.jpg

9-6-21 006.jpg

9-6-21 007.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Looks fantastic John. Fresh out of the paint shop. 

Carl

Thank you Carl! Yes it is fresh out of the paint shop. :) For some reason I just couldn't bring myself to dirty it up any. Nice and shiny!!! LOL

• Like 6

John

Perfect in every detail - just a fantastic build and a wonderful dark Sea Blue glossy finish; I just love them this way. I've shot and tested a lot of different paints for this color and by far the most accurate representation is MM by far,they  has just the right. 🏆

Thanks for the tip on clicking on the photo, as it not only increases the resolution but you can scroll through all the attached images!

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Perfect in every detail - just a fantastic build and a wonderful dark Sea Blue glossy finish; I just love them this way. I've shot and tested a lot of different paints for this color and by far the most accurate representation is MM by far,they  has just the right. 🏆

Thanks for the tip on clicking on the photo, as it not only increases the resolution but you can scroll through all the attached images!

Keep 'em comin

Peter

I'm glad you like it Peter. That MM GSB is 1st class! :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey John 

Another superbly done bent wing bird! I sure hope I can come close to your Corsair master peices on my Tamiya F4u-1A. 

John, I have a question for you. Do you think it would be possible to fit the Aires gun bay for the Trumpeter 1D into the Tamiya 1A? Or are they to different? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron G 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey John 

Another superbly done bent wing bird! I sure hope I can come close to your Corsair master peices on my Tamiya F4u-1A. 

John, I have a question for you. Do you think it would be possible to fit the Aires gun bay for the Trumpeter 1D into the Tamiya 1A? Or are they to different? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron G 

Thank you Ron. You can't go wrong with any of the Tamiya Corsairs! :)

If it's Aires my thoughts are it will require some work to make it fit. I would be pleasantly surprised if it did fit okay. However, I haven't tried it myself so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. 🙄

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

How could I missed out on this one? Super clean build John! Tamiya can use it on the box cover. Well done.

Cheers

Martin

LOL Thanks Martin. I just decided to keep this one nice and shiny. :)

• Like 2