The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Infinity SB2C DONE

All done with this monster. One of the most difficult builds I've ever had and I've been building models for over 60 years! I decided to just use the kit flaps instead of the PE one's as they looked to be just TOO MUCH trouble. Needless to say I'm happy to be finished with it. After all is said and done I'm pleased with the way it turned out! LOL It depicts a VB-85 Helldiver off the USS Shangri-La in 1945. It's OOB except for the Resin2detail seat and the scratch built AN/APS4 radome. Painted with good ol' Testors GSB (Dark Sea Blue) and my own personal mix of Interior Green. The "Z" codes are masks while the rest of the markings are from my decal stash. I will say I won't be building another one!!! :) I hope you guys like the results of my efforts.

Remember to click on the 1st photo for best resolution and to view as a slide show. :)

6-24-22 A 005.jpg

6-24-22 A 001.jpg

6-24-22 A 002.jpg

6-24-22 A 003.jpg

6-24-22 A 004.jpg

6-24-22 A 006.jpg

Shangrila68.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

You finally tamed The Beast :unworthy: ! And the result - once again - speaks for itself. She looks great !

In spite of all the difficulties to overcome, the finished kit does not show any of it. All in all, shouldn’t Infinity be lauded, at least for having had the guts to release this one ;) ?

Again, well done, John 👍 !

Hubert

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Looks great John! Despite your struggles with the beast you produced another great

model. Well done!

Thank you Paul! I'm glad you like it. :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HubertB said:

You finally tamed The Beast :unworthy: ! And the result - once again - speaks for itself. She looks great !

In spite of all the difficulties to overcome, the finished kit does not show any of it. All in all, shouldn’t Infinity be lauded, at least for having had the guts to release this one ;) ?

Again, well done, John 👍 !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert. I'm pleased that you like the results of my efforts. I like the way it turned out too. :)

I guess Infinity should be "lauded" for issuing this kit but at the same time catch some heat for the poor quality of some of the parts and the difficulty of building something that has so much NOT going for it.  I doubt one in twenty sold will ever be completed. 

• Like 1

While I like the "off the trodden path" subject matter of the kit the poor quality

of the kit is definitely off-putting. I hope their future releases will be better. I would

like to see a Devastator or perhaps........ The much rumored 1/18 Hobby Boss/Pegasus

Brewster Buffalo collaboration.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

While I like the "off the trodden path" subject matter of the kit the poor quality

of the kit is definitely off-putting. I hope their future releases will be better. I would

like to see a Devastator or perhaps........ The much rumored 1/18 Hobby Boss/Pegasus

Brewster Buffalo collaboration.

Agreed Paul. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Fantastic results from a less than fantastic kit.  Makes me want to take up basket weaving. :D

Carl

Thank you Carl! :) This kind of kit makes us appreciate Tamiya, Hasegawa, etc all that much more!!!

• Like 2

John

You've gone where very few have gone before and absolutely stellar work. I've been with you for the entire journey, your patience and skills to bring the Helldiver across the line is nothing short of remarkable. She does look brilliant but for me, way too much work.

Beautifully done🏆

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

You've gone where very few have gone before and absolutely stellar work. I've been with you for the entire journey, your patience and skills to bring the Helldiver across the line is nothing short of remarkable. She does look brilliant but for me, way too much work.

Beautifully done🏆

Thank you so much for the nice words Peter. Very much appreciated. It certainly was a bit of a cuss-factor build but I think it turned out well. Now I can start on something  that has a lot less frustration! :)

• Like 1

That looks terrific John, a testimony to your skill and perseverance, and it makes me a bit more confident about building mine, which after reading reviews of the kit I was not so sure of.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Spitfire said:

That looks terrific John, a testimony to your skill and perseverance, and it makes me a bit more confident about building mine, which after reading reiews of the kit I was not so sure of.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. :) I'm pleased that you like it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

John, love the result, stunning as usual. Great perseverance like the never say never attitude. This is the only one I’ve ever seen completed. Didn’t they do a wingfold AM or am I dreaming. If they did should we dare you……

Thanks Phil! There were times when I asked myself if I REALLY wanted to continue the build. I'm glad I did continue as I like the way it turned out. Yes, they have a wing fold set available but I'm not embarking on another one of these. :)

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

What's the next project schedule or your bench?

Considering resuming work on my ZM Skyraider USAF Vietnam/Laos. I had started that kit but set it aside for something else. It will make a good looking model in the SEA scheme possibly with a load of ordinance. :)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Awesomeness!  

John, can I put this on our LSM FB Page?

Thank you Ernie. Sure you can but with the note that it is a VERY difficult build. Okay?:)

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Holy Moly, John!  Well done!  Glad to see you persevered.  Is there any other USN or USMC carrier plane of WWII that you haven't modelled?

Thank you Gaz. None that I can think of Gaz since I've been modeling for over 60 years. :)

• Like 1