Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Trumpeter/Revell P-51B done

Finished with this one. Grafting the nose of a Revell P-51D onto a Trumpeter "B" was something I wanted to try and I think it worked out fairly well. Certainly better than the original "pointy" Trumpeter nose. Not too difficult to do but it did need some re-shaping of the underside of the nose to look "right". I decided to do Deacon Hively's "B" since it was colorful with the red nose and tail stripe plus all the invasion stripes. I had to re-scale and print out some 1/48 Aeromaster decals for the codes and "The Deacon" logo. I used a Aires cockpit set, Barracudacast wheels, FineMolds seat belts, and Aerocraft exhausts and blown canopy (and I see now where the CA glue I used to attach the canopy has fogged it some so I'll have to see about replacing it.) The drop tanks and pylons are from a Tamiya kit. Painted with MM paints. I hope you like it because, and I hate to say it, I'm not particularly happy with it. 😐 I might decide to strip it down and re-do it at some point but for now I'm ready to move on to something else.

9-23-22 002.jpg

9-23-22 004.jpg

9-23-22 005.jpg

9-23-22 B 001.jpg

9-23-22 B 002.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I like her a lot. There is no decent -B out there, but your transformation produced one, great. Like Hubert said, you nailed painting and decaling, what's not to like there. Ah, the canopy, wasn't it frosted over during the flight, slowly melting now ;)?

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HubertB said:

It looks so much better than the original Trumpeter kit. A geat result, and an unbeatablei argument that accurizing the shape of some kits makes a massive difference.

Well done John !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert. I agree that the nose shape looks 100% better now. And actually it wasn't all that difficult to do. :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

I like her a lot. There is no decent -B out there, but your transformation produced one, great. Like Hubert said, you nailed painting and decaling, what's not to like there. Ah, the canopy, wasn't it frosted over during the flight, slowly melting now ;)?

Cheers Rob

LOL Rob. Yes, that's it! Frosted in flight! :) I'm pleased that you like it and I appreciate the nice comments. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

I'm right with the guys - awesome work and your Mustang truly looks like a B. Your trademark of meticulous work and finish is all over the Mustang. Why in the world would you even consider stripping her down and re-painting?

Thanks Peter. I'm happy with the nose shape as I do think it looks much better than the original. For some reason the model just doesn't "snap my gallouses" like I expected it would. Go figure. 😄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Really nice nose job and build John. Quite the improvement over the original. 

I thought resin canopies weren't supposed to fog over from CA fumes? Maybe just a quick polish and it'll be good as new?

Carl

Thank you Carl. That's what I thought too. I might give that a try so we will see. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

John, what with work and State Funeral's, just got to read the WIP and boooooommmmmm you’re finished………..and mighty fine piece of modelling, congrats…….

LOL Thanks Phil. I'm glad you like it. :)

1 hour ago, Daskin said:

One of the best Trumpeter P-51B I have seen, the nose job made all the difference. Is this the last P-51B you will build?

BR Ralph

Thank you Ralph.:) I may decide to do another one at some point but not in the foreseeable future.