The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The best model kit in 2023??

Fran

I was thinking of all the big-scale 1/16 kits of this year...All cool stuff, but

probably not to everyone else's tastes. I want, someday, to build a Spitfire, but not sure the way to go; If big..Airfix, Tamiya.. Always dependable. Kotare..an Unknown for me. No engine on the Kotare, no problem. Displaying engines not a big interest of mine....I don't care for fiddly bits

and lost engine cowlings. Besides I kind of like the spirit of a new manufacturer, and the option of an early Spitfire. Well, the Airfix...It's Big!

Not sure. I know, I haven't posted anything aircraft, but oddly, that's where

I started, years back. Armor, well, that's only a (relatively) recent thing.

Not sure as now, perhaps conflicted.... Well. Here comes the nurse..

Abigail tonight ,with my medication. Nice pills, feel soo relaxed afterwards!

See you in the ...morning. Oooh! A rabbit outside my window!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

At first, I thought there wer not so many for me, then I remembered some, but a lot were 2022 releases, but browsing through my stash and to buy lists unveiled some personal candidates, some mentioned before, like Airfix´s Sea King and Gannet, along the Kotare Spitfire.

Further, I like to mention Copper State Models 1/32 Bristol Scout and the unbelievable detailed 3D printed British Motorcycle Triumph Model H, also by CSM.
SBS released their 1/48 resin Macchi M.39 and 1/72 resin Gee Bee R6H Q.E.D.
I also love my boxing of MiniArts Tempo E400 in 1/35.
Vanguard´s excellent wooden ship kit of Pellews HMS Indefatigable 1794.
Last but not least, another personal favorite is the Brengun 1/72 Texaco Doodlebug.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't buy many kits, my interests are only WW2, 1/32 scale, and aircraft but this year I actually bought 6 kits.

The Italeri C202, it is about time we saw some new Italian subjects being kitted, the PCM kits are very long in the tooth now.

The Trumpeter TBD, I have always wanted to build some USN Midway subjects so this was a must.

I also have a thing about Japanese subjects so the Aichi Val was in the post very quickly.

The Hobby 2000 Me110 sort of accidently fell into my shopping cart at Hannants, I do not normally build Luftwaffe stuff but I have a thing about their desert schemes, and it was cheap. It will make a nice relaxed build as I do not worry about accuracy with Lufwaffe subjects so I just build them.

But the one that really fired me up was the Kotare Spitfire, I have two, the Mid and the Early, so for me this was the "Special" one.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 7

• Administrators

Yes,

in 1/32, it’s a toss up between the HK A-20G and the Kotare Spitfire.  Both are SUPERB kits. 
An honorable mention to the ZM FW 190A-4, simply because it’s not only the first mainstream short nose 190 ever, but is probably the best 190 kit of all time.  
Runner up honorable mention is the 1/24 Airfix Spitfire 9

In 1/48, take your pic: Airfix, in no particular order:  Bucc, Sea King, or Gannett.   All three are stunningly superb kits that are badly needed in a scale larger than 1/72, and beat of all, all three are FAA crates, which is easily my favorite Branch of Service to model.

My thoughts on the year in general?  
Airfix has left the past firmly behind.  WAY behind.  
HK has produced their best kit EVER,  and   
Kotare, the new kid on the block, has come in swinging with their much needed and greatly appreciated early Spitfire trio   Mk 1 early, Mk 1a mid, and Mk Vb.

Truly a great year to be a large scale modeler!!!

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yes,

in 1/32, it’s a toss up between the HK A-20G and the Kotare Spitfire.  Both are SUPERB kits. 
An honorable mention to the ZM FW 190A-4, simply because it’s not only the first mainstream short nose 190 ever, but is probably the best 190 kit of all time.  
Runner up honorable mention is the 1/24 Airfix Spitfire 9

In 1/48, take your pic: Airfix, in no particular order:  Bucc, Sea King, or Gannett.   All three are stunningly superb kits that are badly needed in a scale larger than 1/72, and beat of all, all three are FAA crates, which is easily my favorite Branch of Service to model.

My thoughts on the year in general?  
Airfix has left the past firmly behind.  WAY behind.  
HK has produced their best kit EVER,  and   
Kotare, the new kid on the block, has come in swinging with their much needed and greatly appreciated early Spitfire trio   Mk 1 early, Mk 1a mid, and Mk Vb.

Truly a great year to be a large scale modeler!!!

I was going to post ... then read yours, so why bother when you did it all for me!! 😂 😂 😂 ...

Seriously though ...

Trying NOT to be the ZM fanboy that I am - and put the Fw.190 first ...

It doesn't take much - having a quick look at that A-20G (in any guise - one of my favourites) - to see the improvement in HKM's work ... some said "expensive for a twin" ... I say worth every single cent and then some ... competing well against Tamiya and ZM for detail levels and accuracy. 1/ I just hope they keep that attention to detail and accuracy up to this level - where it needs to be, 2/ It's a crying shame it wasn't around in the Mosquito days (I feel that the kit was rushed to market to try to get ahead of the Tamiya one maybe?) ... Still ... onward and upward now!

Kotare might not be heavy on the detail ... but they have done it properly where it counts! ... The most scale-accurate early Spitfire made - the end! ... Or the beginning - as we have a Va due out sometime in 2024 and hopefully (Please God! With a cherry on top!) a Vb!! ... Oh, My! Wouldn't THAT be something ... Finally a scale accurate Vb ... 😍 ... This was the kit that I struggled hard with voting ahead of the ZM kit.

Andy's 1/16 Tiger gets a mention ... as well as Geckos' 1/16 Panzer II Ausf.F ... both great kits ... Heller technically released their 1/16th Pz.III Ausf. J, L or M optioned kit back in 2022 ... but most didn't hit the shelves until early this year ... I love this kit also!

Rog :)

• Like 4

My original vote was for one kit in 32nd (Kotare Spitfire - built) and one kit in 48th scale (MiniArt P-47D Bubble Jug - next on the bench) but it seems, most of the guys are offering a few more in their posts/votes.

In 32nd scale I would absolutely add the beautiful ZM FW190 - I have the kit and will be building it in the next few months. Also in 32nd scale, Revell's Hurricane is easily in the running as a very well-done kit and so very needed.

While I have the Trumpeter Devastator and AirScale detail sets, it's a kit we have been waiting years for but not a kit of the year by any means.

In 48th scale, I would add to my list, the HK 1/48 B-25J, another gorgeous kit and am planning on building it this year as well.  

Also in 48th scale, Magic Factories Corsair Dual Combo set.

I look at it this way - if I bought the kit and it's not on this list, it still makes my own list.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I only bought one kit that was newly released in 2023 so that gets my vote - Hobby2000 Me110, as per Dennis @Spitfire, that desert scheme is calling out to be painted  ! As I didn't have much to compare I added a few extra categories for myself - sorry . Best kit purchased by me in 2023 was a very second hand and cheap Williams Brother P-35. My kind of kit, not much detail, really quick build and unusual subject, thoroughly enjoyed building it.  Best kit build by me was Kittyhawk's Kingfisher - one of my best builds (interestingly most of Kittyhawks 1/32 kits that I've built would fit into my better build category).  Worst purchase by me - 1/32 Tamiya Mosquito - I got bored looking through the box, way too much plastic and engineering most of which will be unseen once built (eg the engines).  I know I wont build it, life is too short !  Finally, most anticipated kit for 2024 - ICM's 1/32 Hs123. Really sorry to add extra info, I feel guilty now but it's typed so submit reply button is to easy to click on !

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

2023 has been one seriously amazing year for 1/32 and larger scales.   I'm NOT much of a 48 modeler, although I have a few, simply because they're not available to scratchbuild.    And to think that just a very few years ago, folks were crying that 1/32 was dead because Tamiya started releasing more 1/48.     Just think of this:  Only a couple decades ago, other than Tamiya starting out with some big jets, and Hasegawa with some jems, the only truly accurate newer 1/32 kits we had that were made for the serious scale modeler were kits like the Rutman P-47s and P-51b.  They needed loving care, and even a bit of scratchbuilding, but they sure built into some seriously nice aircraft.

Now,... we're spoiled and screaming for more.  Not one, but 2 Companies making super accurate Lancaster bombers in several variations, Mosquitoes, B-17s, A-20s. B-25s, Ju 88s, He 111s, PBY-5a, a freaking DC-3, and just about every WW1 and WW2 fighter you can name except a Marauder.  Then of course is a B-24.  A beautiful, if simple model, but except for the wing shoulder and wing airfoil, does look the part, and, wityh a liberal application of AM, is easily built into a stunning model.

Then there's AM. The rise of Eastern Europe with 80 years of pent up pressure to join the world, brought forth an explosion of AM manufacturers, making anything and everything to enhance a kit and take it to the next level.  Chechia, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Rumania, Ukraine, Russia and many more have huge AM industries, and now several quality manufacturers making accurate and precise kits.

I'm LOVING it!

• Like 5

Good times for scale plastic modeling for sure. It is an almost impossible to choose. Kotare Spitfire was a highlight for me, and that comes from a guy who thought that the early marks are just not that appealing. My eyesight is failing rapidly, together with the fine motor control, it's a frustrating process. This kit brought me back.  KOTARE SPITTY for sure. Cant wait for the Mk.VB (hint, hint) 

main-qimg-f7faae97c1f9901529f1c59a9428373d.webp.c950b30ced27892ef1115dc06daf9185.webp

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Good times for scale plastic modeling for sure. It is an almost impossible to choose. Kotare Spitfire was a highlight for me, and that comes from a guy who thought that the early marks are just not that appealing. My eyesight is failing rapidly, together with the fine motor control, it's a frustrating process. This kit brought me back.  KOTARE SPITTY for sure. Cant wait for the Mk.VB (hint, hint) 

main-qimg-f7faae97c1f9901529f1c59a9428373d.webp.c950b30ced27892ef1115dc06daf9185.webp

Martin

I'm waiting for their Vb as well and having her join all the other 32nd scale Spitfires in my display case. It's hard for me to believe, but I've actually built more 32nd scale Spitfires then any other aircraft. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

I've actually built more 32nd scale Spitfires then any other aircraft. 

Peter, it's the same here. For whatever reason reason 1/32 Spitfires dominate in my display case and my stash. 

I think I've only built a couple in other scales oddly. 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 5:38 PM, Peterpools said:

It's hard for me to believe, but I've actually built more 32nd scale Spitfires then any other aircraft. 

yep, same for me - double figures built on the shelf, 3 more unbuilt in the stash and will buy the early Mk1 from Kotare this year. I was never a spitfire person so have no idea where this came from. I've built 4 Bf 109's and 2 mig 21's. Every other aircraft build I own is a single build.  I can only think it's the variation in schemes that attracts me (or the online purchasing after a few red wines !). 

• Like 1